VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my tires and had my car aligned. It feels as if my front end has a mind of it's own sometimes. It almost feels like the front tires are flring out, like the toe is way off. I had the alignment checked by two different shops including a body shop and it falls w/in specs. Please help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: Problems w/steering (antsg60)

Ball joints, tie rod ends and control arm bushings help me! Still feels as if there is a slight play in the wheel. A buddy of mine, with a Camaro, has read in the forums that they have problems with the intermediate steering shaft(drive shaft) where the rivets loosen and creates slop. Has anyone heard or changed this? Helped?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

Does your car pull when you are on rut in the road, or pull to the lower side of a crowned road? If you switched to low profile stiff sidewall tires your car will do this. Stock tires will conform to the road surface if the road isn't flat, but stiff tires will not conform to it and it will feel like your car is pulling and has a mind of its own. If your car pulls in different directions at different times pay attention to it. If it is due to stiff tires when you are on a road with ruts it will try to pull into the ruts. If you drive at different places in your lane the pull should change as the slant or crown of the lane changes.

·
Registered
834 Posts

My 90 G60 has the same/similar problem. The steering used to be really tight. But now the steering feels like it has a little play and just feels loose. I don't know how else to describe it. When driving on the highway...let's say 65 mph...I can move the steering wheel side to side, and it's like there is a slight delay in steering response. I've had almost everything on the front suspension replaced....ball joints, control arm bushing, struts, VR6 strut bearing kit, tie rods...even the rack was replaced with a used rack.
I have a TRW rack, and there is an large adjustment bolt (27mm? allen bolt)on it that I believe "tightens" the rack...but I haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet.
It sucks having a car like a Corrado and have sloppy steering....kinda defeats the purpose, huh? Let us know if you find the culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.