VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think there is a problem with the transmission. Maybe you guys can confirm and point me towards a solution. Here is the back-story:
Front wheel drive manual. Last night I got one wheel stuck on ice and the other in a deep rut. While trying to get it out the wheel on the ice was spinning, but the wheel in the rut was not.
I finally got it out (some massive guy lifted it out). Now there is a problem with reverse. The forward gears appear to work fine, and rolling backwards does not seem to be an issue (rolling down a hill). But when the car is in reverse and I try to back up it makes a loud scraping noise and then a pop sound and it will roll a little.
I am trying to not move it much to prevent more damage. So I'm not sure if the noise will keep happening or what.
Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance
Justin

·
Registered
451 Posts
mine did something like that...only in first gear... it was the CV Joint... but i couldnt go any where but in reverse... i dont know if the same could be with yours... sorry if im no help

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: Problems with a 86 VW jetta (deskjet)

I literally blew the reverse idler gear throught the transmission case on my GLI. The whole was the size of my fist. It still drove in all forward gears, although i diddn't go far w/ no trans fluid. Anyhow check on the bottom of your transmission case to see if it is cracked (aluminum) and not allowing the reverse idler gear to fully engage, good luck.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: (deskjet)

yeah you were spinning like that in reverse? mighta f'ed it up, reverse is fairly weak on these things.
"loud scraping, pop and roll." so does it move under it's own power backwards? if so will it stay in gear? if no to both of those, try putting it maually into reverse at the transmission, and push it ALL THE WAY into gear at the transmission, and try again, still no, your screwed.

let us know how it works out, and props to you for being so polite and articulate! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by The_Hamster at 1:10 AM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes it will roll a little (inches) under its own power. I'm to afraid to push any more. For the short time we were trying to move it, it was staying in gear.
I will try to move it manually and see what I get.
Also now after messing with the car, the shifter seems to be stuck in reverse. I’m not sure on all the details, as I did not get it stuck.
But does this change any of your predictions on the possible problem?
I will try to move it manually and see what I get.
Also now after messing with the car, the shifter seems to be stuck in reverse. Im not sure on all the details as I did not get it stuck.
But does this change any of your predictions on the possible problem?

·
Registered
228 Posts

Well unless you got a quafie or pelequin in your tranny it would of only spun the one tire on the ice, thats how a differential works. Just get in and giver'. If its wrecked your gonna have to pull the tranny anyways so just get in and try do drive it normally, you'll fing the problem relativly quickly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update::
Going to give the car a good looking over myself and then take it into the shop tomorrow.
Anything I could say to them? Anything in particular they should check (other than what was already said)?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

I also had a similar situation to this, only the wheels wouldn't spin in any gears. But it was the CV, an easy fix http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took it into the shop today.
They said they found metal in the transmission fluid.
It's going to cost 300 for them to take it out and figure out just what is wrong with it.
They also told me that it's possible to replace just reverse but that after having torn up metal in there the other gears could go within months.
I guess the only other option is to replace the entire transmission, and I haven't got a price on that job yet.
What do you guys think??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts