VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, in oct. I bought a corrado in Port townsend WA. I drove it all the way to North Bend with no probs and then it died. The mechanic said that the Valves and piston hit each other because the time belt jumped. Well my buddy came back home on leave from NC and we put every thing back to gether today. And it wont turn over, it seems to be stuck. Just wanted to know if any of you guys had a similar porb. I am guessing i am gonna have to pull the head this next week and figure it out.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guy's well me and malcolm turned the cam and it sticks on the #3 piston. cant figure out why, the block turns when we put a wrench on it and the cam does the same, i am wondering if the starter could be bad?? this is pissing me off... gonna have to pull the head to find out for sure.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Re: (deth_core)

I would start with removing the valve cover then
re check the valve timing befor i took the head off.
remember when # 1 pistons is at TDC #1 cam lobes
re in overlap in the "y" up posistion and # 4 is in overlap
in the "A" down posistion.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (REPOMAN)

I aligned it earlier, then turned it over two full revolutions with the timing belt on and everything aligned. It turned fine, but when we tried to start it, it turned over halfway and stopped on something. We took the valve cover off and turned the camshaft, it seems to get stuck on #3.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts

pull all the plugs and see if # 3 is Hydro locking
due to excess gas or coolent. also check the ignition timing
is correct. if all that looks good then pull the head and you
might find Part of the #3 piston in pieces.
Good Luck

·
Registered
977 Posts

pull the #3 plug out. crank the engine over. if it is hydra-locking all the fluid will come out of the plug hole. (be sure to put the plug wire in a safe place, it will still arc unless you just pull it off the cap)
if i am reading your posts right than the cam is unable to push down the #3 valves. if this is correct, and it isn't hydra-locking, pull the cam, and inspect the bucket lifters. remember they are hydraulic, and they too could be locking not allowing the cam to rotate.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so i put the valve cover back on, everything is timed right... pulled the #3 spark plug, and it still gets stuck in the same place (#3 valves). I cranked the engine manually back a revolution, and when i start it, it turns over fine then hits the #3 valve and stops. could it turn over like that if the piston was screwed? doesn't seem like it. am i checking for hydra-lock correctly? maybe a valve is bent?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking, when i was timing it, i put the belt on, everything was timed perfect.... then i turned it over twice using a wrench on the crank (to see if if the belt was on right). why would it turn over by hand then, but not now? the only thing that was different then, is that i did not have the serp. belt on.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

why dont you shine a light down the #3 and look for bad stuff. orthoscope?
or just take the head off cause somethings seriously wrong with this situation.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, this is great.... took the t-belt off, took out all the sparkplugs.... cam turns fine, nothing gets stuck. Then i wrenched the crank over, and that's what's getting stuck.. time for a new block i guess. F**K G*D*MNIT

1 - 19 of 19 Posts