VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

661 - 680 of 719 Posts

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,660 Posts
Wow.

The price of entry into a new Porsche Taycan just got $23,900 cheaper. Porsche introduced its new rear-wheel-drive base-model 2021 Taycan, which starts at $81,250—undercutting even the $88,550 base-model Panamera's price.

@Hawk time to make moves!

So the most basic Taycan could theoretically be had for about $75000 with the tax rebate. At this point, I'd get the Taycan just to be different from the Model S.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,457 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,606 Posts
I may buy this car.

Big question for me is how would a RWD heavy electric car handle in snow? I've been watching a bunch of RWD Model 3 reviews in snow and they say it's great because the electric motor can power each rear wheel individually and react faster than a gas powered car. But I'm just really curious what the weight (nearly 5,000 lbs) might help with too. That would honestly be my biggest reservation is just going back to a RWD in snow in Canada. Was pretty sketchy in the 991. Was actually not too bad in the Cayman. But the Golf R has just been amazing in snow and it feels weird to go away from that.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
The RWD Model 3 has only 1 motor. Perhaps you read reviews on the AWD version? Most stability systems are great and I dont see a heavy RWD EV being worse. I had 2 BMW i3s which were rwd EVs. That thing was a mountain cat in the snow helped by the super thin 185mm tires. I'd recommend going more narrow than whatever comes with the base Taycan letting those tires really dig in.

·
Registered
16,309 Posts
It'll get around the mostly flat streets of Toronto just fine.

And I missed the Cross Turismo pics - that thing looks awesome.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,766 Posts
Wow.

@Hawk time to make moves!

So the most basic Taycan could theoretically be had for about $75000 with the tax rebate. At this point, I'd get the Taycan just to be different from the Model S.

Apparently not coming to Canada.
I may buy this car.

Big question for me is how would a RWD heavy electric car handle in snow? I've been watching a bunch of RWD Model 3 reviews in snow and they say it's great because the electric motor can power each rear wheel individually and react faster than a gas powered car. But I'm just really curious what the weight (nearly 5,000 lbs) might help with too. That would honestly be my biggest reservation is just going back to a RWD in snow in Canada. Was pretty sketchy in the 991. Was actually not too bad in the Cayman. But the Golf R has just been amazing in snow and it feels weird to go away from that.
It's super heavy. It will be fine. Get Hakkas.

·
Registered
16,309 Posts
It sold 844 copies nationwide in 2020, triple the Panamera (268) and almost as many as the 911 (914). In the last quarter, the Taycan was even Porsche's best-selling car (397 units compared to 176 for the 911).
Had no idea it was such a strong seller up here. Saw my first one in the flesh yesterday and have to say the black headlight cluster looked disappointing in person.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,469 Posts
To get a base RWD model looking as good as the one in the photos above, you gotta spring for the $9k 21” carbon-aeroblade wheelset. Even the more modest 21” ‘concept’ wheelset is still over $4k. Checking a few other option boxes for an actual paint color, performance enhancers (torque vectoring and the required PASM upgrade) and exhibiting exceptional restraint with tech options and cosmetic flourishes will likely add $5k-$10k. That’s the Porsche way!

The big option $ question: battery size. Although there is no measured performance difference between the ~79 kWh ‘performance’ battery and the 93 kWh ‘performance’ plus battery, the extra 15-20% boost in range would be worth the $6k price increase. I would wager the RWD model will be a bit more efficient than the Turbo S, which various reviewer outlets have gotten nearly 250mi in real-world range out of (in stark contrast to the EPA estimate of 201mi). Whether than means the 93kWh RWD Taycan travels anywhere from closer to 250mi or up to 300mi in real world conditions is going to be revealing to watch at these versions roll out to magazines and the general public. $6k is marginal compared to the extra range buffer and related peace of mind, so I’d almost say it is a must-have.

All said, to drive a nice looking RWD Taycan with a healthy real-world range, you’re looking at anywhere from $90k to just a hair under $100k. Sure, a price under 6 figures is getting more attractive. But dang, at Model 3 RWD levels of performance and range, that’s still a hard price to justify, even with the steering wheel stitching (not to mention SOUL)!

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
I honestly think that the OEM wheels are one of the main factors holding back the Taycan looks wise. I don't care for any of the designs.

I would order poverty spec wheel package and go aftermarket, in a wide 19, or 20 inch setup with some sidewall.

Those tesla 21s bend left, and right.

Huge weight + giant wheels on rubber band tires= pain + $$$

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I care so little about this electric trend. Hydrogen is the future.
Hydrogen in passenger vehicles is not going to happen. Unless and until we have a massive surplus of cheap and clean electricity, it's just natural gas with an extra unnecessary step. Just cut out the middleman and run the car on LNG or CNG. Batteries are improving rapidly and getting cheaper. Hydrogen has been puttering around since the early 00s with no real breakthroughs.

Hydrogen has potential for aircraft and shipping though.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Also for 18wheelers going cross country. I believe the future is going to use all kinds of fuel and propulsion systems, not just one or the other.

Back to the Taycan, I think my favorite feature is the passenger dashboard screen. It's a low-tech feature really but it looks so cool to have the passenger become part of the navigation process.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hydrogen in passenger vehicles is not going to happen. Unless and until we have a massive surplus of cheap and clean electricity, it's just natural gas with an extra unnecessary step. Just cut out the middleman and run the car on LNG or CNG. Batteries are improving rapidly and getting cheaper. Hydrogen has been puttering around since the early 00s with no real breakthroughs.

we still have to throw batteries away so keep the ice.

661 - 680 of 719 Posts