VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
After years of being in need of paint, I finally bit the bullet after it was hit while in storage. My buddy from Denmark took on the project for me, and is doing all the body work, after he went through everything wiring-wise to get everything working again. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow about doing a TDI swap, seeing as it's going to be a daily driver for the wife, and she commutes kinda far (and gas prices are getting insane).

Not all the newest ones are up there, but he tries to update it between his projects and computer work.
Here's a couple pics of some of his other ones he's had a hand in (he's a huge Scirocco fan). He's turned out a lot of really good stuff, and is anal about everything he does, so I know it's going to be done right.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not a lot of mods are happening at this time, just fender rolling, shaving the rear emblems and badges, wiper/squirter, front squirters, side rub strips, and corner markers on the front bumper, antenna, and license plate holes. Everything else is just getting banged out and smoothed over (dents, dings, etc).

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, might as well just keep this one updated instead of making a new thread. This car has gone through a lot with me, so me and the wife decided to keep it for a while. Plus, it's one of our favorite VWs; and I already own it, so why get rid of it? :laugh:

Things got interesting the first day I bought it; heater core blew. Not long after that, took it on a cross country trip from WA to GA:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3618392-Cross-Country-Corrado!-(made-it!)

I drove it down there for a few months before moving to Alaska and leaving the car in storage for 3yrs. When I came back to pick it up, it had somehow been t-boned:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4865206-Totalled-my-Corrado...

Took it on another cross country trip from GA back up to WA. Made it most of the way on it's own power:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-way-cross-country!-Kind-of...-(pic-intensive)

I dropped it off at my friend's place to get a lot of issues worked out with it as well as work out all of the body work:

A couple months later, decided to swing a deal with a friend and trade the Lysholm engine out of it for a '79 Rabbit diesel with a rebuilt (less than 1k) 1.6D with a diesel 5spd:

Now she's sitting like this:

Just received delivery of an ALH/02J swap with the Kerma PD150 kit from MKIII and Sons (thanks!):

It's going to be a couple weeks before my buddy is able to get started on it. Doing complete swap so everything works (even Mk4 cluster). Also doing ABS delete, installing the Wilwood kit, re-painting and cleaning up the engine bay, etc. This car is going to be daily driver status, not show, so it's being built for purpose (I know... I deleted the rear wiper and front squirters... that was when I was 50/50 on what the car was going to be used for).

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

And if anyone has any input, ideas, experience, etc. about an ALH/02J swap, feel free to chime in :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I bought TDI PD 130 HP with 6 speed for my Corrado.

But no. That engine is now in mk3 chipped to 164 HP , it's fast , high mpg...

That sound and Corrado really don't go together :banghead:

Sorry...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
in a corrado?! Thats friggin awesome!

:subscribed:

:popcorn::heart:
:thumbup: Thanks, man, I'm hoping it will turn out as planned!

Do you still want that turbo timer?
Turbo timer??

Check with G60ing. He's done a couple TDI Corrado swaps one of which was an ALH. He's also on TDIclub.
:beer: Yeah, I've gotten a bit of information from him, thanks!

I bought TDI PD 130 HP with 6 speed for my Corrado.

But no. That engine is now in mk3 chipped to 164 HP , it's fast , high mpg...

That sound and Corrado really don't go together :banghead:

Sorry...
:thumbup: A Mk3 would be fun, too! I had a Syncro Swallowtail 20v planned, but we need more of a daily car, not a project. And seeing as we already have a reliable 1.6D, we figured we might as well put a TDI into the Corrado. My wife and I both drive a LOT! And after my B3 Syncro TDI wagon, I mised the MPGs, and figured why not combine power, Corrado, and good MPGs? haha

But I have heard that argument a lot... and I will admit, I'm going to miss the Lysholm whine. But, in the end, I think it's a logical choice. May not be for the purists though ;)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went over there a couple days ago to discuss and plan out a few things. Hoping to tow the Corrado to his place next weekend so we can dive into it. He cleaned the engine up and started sorting through the wiring. I still haven't had time to breathe after work, so I haven't got much farther.

The one that came out:

The one that's going in:

A few pictures of some items hanging on my buddy's "Wall of Shame"

While we were going over a few things, we received a call from another friend at his shop up the road. He had made a mis-calculation while pulling out the engine/trans in his Corvette that caused him to be stuck with standing on the rear of the cherry picker for counter-balance. :laugh: After we got to his place and took a few pictures and made fun of him, we helped.

Going to resurface the flywheel, replace the throw-out bearing, clutch, timing belt, idlers, tensioner, thermostat, and water pump. Is there anything else I should do for preventative maintenance while it's out and easy to get to?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Towed the car to my buddy's house who's doing the swap yesterday.

What the Lysholm engine is going into (another C):

Decided to do an ABS delete, and clean up the wiring a tad bit in the engine bay. This is going to be cleaned up and re-painted as well.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm not sure what's included in Kerma's 150hp kit (I'm guessing VNT17, PP520's, tune, and clutch kit maybe?) but I would also look into an Oldman TIP. I haven't used their tune but have one of their turbo's on my car. It's an 1856 that used to be called a Hammerhead SV and I think it's now called a K3A or something. May want to look at larger nozzles as well. I'm running PP502's but I'm about to step up to R520's. The 502's are great with stock turbo and up though. Also get more of a robust clutch than you think you need. Trust me on this. I'm putting the third one in when I decide to install my O2M swap. With just the 502's installed, no other mods, my factory clutch slipped. Did the VR clutch and then the turbo upgrade and the diff blew etc. Not sure if you're looking for a lot of power but since the motor's still out it may be easier to do this now. Also you can upgrade your intake manifold to the PD150 or your injector pump. If you're already doing the timing belt check out a cam upgrade as well. Lot's of stuff you can do and hey its only money right ;) Good luck with it! I've thought about a TDI swap but agree with Rallye 1.8T, it just won't sound right. :thumbup: just the same.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinking about using this clutch:

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-403/ENDURANCE- -FLYWHEEL- /Detail

What do you think?

Unfortunately, I don't have the monies for upgrades that aren't considered maintenance right now... and I'm only going to be able to drive it for a couple weeks before I leave. It's going to be the wife's car while I'm gone, and she hasn't driven anything with a decent amount of go; I'd rather not up the power from the get-go haha It's pretty much just going to be maintained the way it is from here on out (as of now..). When I get back from deployment, there's a couple other projects I'd like to throw money at :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That clutch kit should be fine. One thing to think about and ask Kerma is if it rattles at idle without the clutch pedal depressed. Mine rattles like hell and it's driven me nuts. It happens when you go with to light of a flywheel. Mine is 14lbs so maybe you won't have that issue. The TDI is a bit of a slug but really responds well to mods. Best thing about modifying it is as long as you keep your foot out of it it will still have great fuel mileage! I made it from Birmingham, AL to Las Vegas 18xx miles on 3 tanks of diesel and mine is FAR from stock. :D This was in my Golf though

1 - 20 of 104 Posts