VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1990 Golf_GL with 2l 16v swap.
Got the car feb 5, 2011. The car ran but had many little problems ( I'm super picky) so I went to work on it for a year straight. Got her in shape (2040lbs), did minor engine work, and then took her out to willow springs raceway to see how she stacks up. Pretty much every bushing, nut and bolt, has been replaced. Lots of work has been done that is not pictured. Did 1:32 per lap, not bad for first time on a track.
After the track I decided to go with carbs and many many more changes.

All pictures are copyright protected!!!!!!!!!!
day 1 --->now, tried to put them in order. More pictures throughout the thread.

more videos and pictures of track in my signature.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Car looks good :thumbup:

But... did you really need the copyright statement?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Beat it up!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
:beer:
Car looks good :thumbup:

But... did you really need the copyright statement?
yes, i had a problem with some a-holes using my mkv pics to sell cheap ebay crap.:banghead: so, if anyone wants to use my mk2 pictures, they better send me a check with my name on it.:laugh:

·
Registered
14,826 Posts
Really nice work!!!

What are those things boiling in the pot on the stove? :beer:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
:thumbup: for doing things right. Looks like alot of fun.

Seriously need to get my car finished, would love to track with locals, I see batruggers car:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really nice work!!!

What are those things boiling in the pot on the stove? :beer:
the front crossmember bushings. it took me about 2-4 hours to figure out how to get them in there, but once i did, they went in smoothly. you can see in the pics that i started at 4pm and finished at 9pm with 4 bushings.:banghead:
:thumbup: for doing things right. Looks like alot of fun.

Seriously need to get my car finished, would love to track with locals, I see batruggers car:thumbup:
thanx
the track was very fun.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Those bushings are a pain in the ass, even with a press. I ended up destroying two last time I did that.

Seems like boiling would make them more pliable... but also expand.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those bushings are a pain in the ass, even with a press. I ended up destroying two last time I did that.

Seems like boiling would make them more pliable... but also expand.
boiling made them much softer so i could press them in with a few screwdrivers and the weight of me on a wood board. i kinda wish i have gotten a poly bushings instead, but i dont feel like doing them again.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
not sure if it will be a problem but the painted runners on the mani seems sketchy to me. I dont see it being a major problem, but in tunning stages when your dumping fuel and dont know it (it will happen:laugh: sooner or later) gas gets past the silicone\rubber couplers and start eroding the paint

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not sure if it will be a problem but the painted runners on the mani seems sketchy to me. I dont see it being a major problem, but in tunning stages when your dumping fuel and dont know it (it will happen:laugh: sooner or later) gas gets past the silicone\rubber couplers and start eroding the paint
dont worry about that, i got it figured out:laugh:

·
Registered
24,968 Posts

I wonder if boiling poly bushings would soften them up enough to get them in. Till this day i can't my ProFlex bushings in. :facepalm:

Love this build BTW. My kinda build for sure! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ give it a try. I boiled them for good 15 min before getting them in. I also used a bunch of mobile 1 synthetic grease on them and then I jumped on them as hard as I could. Finally, they gave in and it was done. Never again will I replace those sh1ts. Pain in the ass.:cool:

1 - 20 of 431 Posts