VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after a 5+ year drought, I officially have another VW project car. #11 for me as far as VW's go, is a 1991 Jetta Wolfsburg 8v.

Some of the older heads may remember my 89 GTI 16v ((Project thread HERE). It was a 2.0 16v with some head work, cams, carbs, and a bunch of other odds and ends. I sold it when I got my M5 and have missed it since.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

(OMG Fram filter. Used during first run of the new head/block combo then swapped out ;) )

Well a buddy of mine had this 1991 Wolfsburg that needed a heater core. He got most of the way through the dash removal process when the project simply stalled. The car sat for about 6 months with him and I going back and forth about me buying it. I wish I had purchased it back in August when he first offered it to me, because by the time I got to see it last week, it had about a gallon of rain water in the floors and trunk area :(. Regardless, I bought it anyway and here it is!

The inside was a wreck, but everything should be in there. The seats are actually in really good condition, as are the door cards. The dash has some cracks, but more on that later.

The tow rig, a 2002 Sequoia limited that sat for 2 years before I bought it. These types of cars find their way to me, I swear...

Day one, I ripped out the entire interior and threw a humidifier in it to try and remove as much moisture as possible.

There were two car covers in the trunk. Would have definitely helped keep the moisture out if they were stored on the car opposed to inside the car :laugh:

All the loose interior pieces out of the car. The dash was mostly disassembled when I got the car, so reassembly should be fun flying blind...

This was laying on the floor, it had a VW stamp on it but I don't recognize what it is, any guesses?

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Addressing the floors, they are pretty clean for their age and recent living conditions. The plan for them is to thoroughly clean them up, remove all remnants of the stock sound deadening, and then coat the floors with POR-15. After that, I am thinking a layer of sound deadening below the carpet and then begin to reassemble the interior.

Planning on going with this matting from Amazon. Anyone have any experience with it?

I plan on cleaning the carpet as best as I can and then likely redying it a darker grey color. If that doesn't yield satisfactory results, I will try an aftermarket new carpet out.

As for the dash, I have a buddy who had a long term 90 jetta project that he finally scrapped :( I would have bought his if I had known he was getting rid of it. He has a whole stockpile of MK2 parts still, among which is a clean crack free dash. So I just have to swap over the vin plate to the new dash. One of the things I remember having was an extra crack free red stripe dash from my gti that I have no idea what I did with it :(

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Nice find, it's cool you're going to finish a project your friend started. I've bought a car from a friend, it made the buying process a lot more fun for me.
Are you keeping the 8v?
In for more! :popcorn:

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
If I were you, I'd glue up that dash (professional style) and wrap it in vinyl! Would look really nice and custom color/pattern of your choosing...match all your interior changes with the dyes of course

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice find, it's cool you're going to finish a project your friend started. I've bought a car from a friend, it made the buying process a lot more fun for me.
Are you keeping the 8v?
In for more! :popcorn:

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
It will certainly make the reassembly process.....interesting. It's always nice to be there for disassembly when it comes time for reassembly. This car was a friends project, and im buying all the parts from another friends project, and combining the two. The second friend even has a 1.8T with a gt28 or 30 upgrade and drop in rods. so the future of the 8v is uncertain.

In for more. Looks like you gotta nice start here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I gotta put a fresh battery in it and see what the motor sounds like. I have not actually heard it run yet but he said it runs well. Time will tell.

If I were you, I'd glue up that dash (professional style) and wrap it in vinyl! Would look really nice and custom color/pattern of your choosing...match all your interior changes with the dyes of course
I have definitely considered attempting something with the dash. The dash in my M5 is leather wrapped and I really love it. Would be tricky but definitely cool to attempt something like that. However my buddy has a clean crack free dash waiting for me that I am picking up along with the rest of the parts from his now gone project mk2.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So on the tow ride home, one of the BBS Centercaps lost its logo :( The logos actually have VW part numbers on them, so these wheels were either the original wheels, or dealer add ons.

Time to source a replacement logo.

Dash is out! The foam surrounding all the wiring turned to dust when I looked at it so i vacuumed all of it out. Will likely rewrap the wires before reassembly to keep things neat and tidy.

PO broke the wiper stalk by letting the dash lay against it forever. will have to source a new one of those as well.

Dehumidifier got down to 22% running in the car, inside the garage with all the doors closed and windows up. I would say she is pretty dry now. Will clean up the floors soon. POR 15 and the Kilmat arrived yesterday as well, so once they are cleanred up I will be painting them and then laying down the sound deadening.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I thought the inside of the car would be bone dry by now.

I was wrong. That carpet padding I thought would dry out on its own still had plenty of moisture in it. so I ripped as much out as I could.

Also got the heaterbox out finally! Going to redo the blend doors this weekend and start reassembly.

Old heatercore is out!

heater box split so I can rehab the blend doors

rain tray air inlet blocked to stop moisture ingress

Humidifier back in, hopefully for the last time.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taking a page out of the Roadkill playbook. A good whiteboard really helps lay out a project and help stay motivated. Helps keep track of what is needed to be done next, and crossing things off is a great motivator to keep going! whipped up a fresh to do list for the jetta, hope to knock out at least some of it this weekend.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Knocked out items 2-5 on the ol to do list over the weekend. Not a major update, but slowly making progress. I got sidetracked by another project, story of my life :laugh:

Rewrapped the blend doors

Reinstalled the doors in the heater box, which I cleaned out.

And new heatercore installed, and heater box reinstalled.

The wire loom I ordered was way, way too small for the larger bundles in the dash. Reordered some fresh loom and will probably add some loom clamps in the dash to replace the broken zip tie loom clamps that the factory installed.

And the project that has been distracting me from the jetta project, which has been distracting me from the M3 project, which has been distracting me from the sequoia project, which has been distracting me from the toyota pickup project, which has been distracting me from home renovations.......

It was a mess when I got it, no screen, and rough paint and dirty

Dirty seat, dirty floormats, dirty side art...

refinished the seat

Cleaned up the side art, repainted all the black metal and wood parts, reconditioned all the plastics, trimmed down a 32" lcd tv to fit the opening (had to cut the bezel off the sides and trim the actual frame of the tv

Still fighting some screen issues, but hopefully will have it fully operational this week so I can get back to finishing the jetta :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some progress last night. Ripped out some more "excess wiring" added by previous owners. Including a car phone setup, and a push button start. For the car phone, I still need to remove the antenna mount on the back glass, are those usually drilled through the glass? or some other method of attachment? For the push button start, the previous owner stated that the car wouldn't start with the key. he changed the ignition unfortunately so now the ignition key doesn't match the rest of the locks. Car still wouldn't start so he wired up a push button start instead.

Got all the loose dash wiring all loomed up again. No more flaking foam wrapping on them.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drove the jetta for the first time in many months (it sat for 6+ months while under ownership by P.O.). It had some oil residue on the exhaust so it smoked a little, but it drives pretty decently. Started misfiring the second i pulled back in the driveway, but didn't have time to investigate.

Reinstalled just enough to get down the road :laugh:

Also got the cruis'n World cab 99% done. It is fully operational, just missing the tinted glass in the front of the cab :thumbup:

EGA>HDMI conversion board installed

Had to replace this 7047N chip

9$ for 10 of em off ebay.

Modify the former monitor chassis to accept the new monitor. top is before, bottom is after

made a quick jig to bend up some monitor bezels. The material is thermalset plastic. heat it up with a torch, bend it, and when it cools it retains its shape.

Monitor and bezels installed

Reinstalled the back panels with new matching hardware

Viola! Once I get some front panel glass, this cab will be 100% done.

Now that is mostly finished, I can turn my attention back to the cars. Need to resolve a DME issue with the 528i. Need to do a full rear subframe overhaul and crack repair on the m3. M5 backed into a curb and ripped the right bank of the exhaust off at the vband. Sequoia needs an alternator or PS pump (noisy) Truck still needs the bed sheet metal repaired (bare metal in the back of my garage) Jetta still needs the interior put back in and a thorough once over.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Great thread, glad to see you giving the car the care it deserves.

And wow, that's quite a stable you've got there! Very nice. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tackled giving the ol girl a bath today. rolled out the pressure washer and went to work.

the engine bay was a mix of oil grime and dust.

cleaned up fairly well though.

scrubbed months of grime off the outside. not too bad now! still needs a cut and buff.

The carpets I thought would be a total loss. they. were. nasty. interior has stains from the nasty rain water and the trunk mat had rust stains.

I was shocked at how well they cleaned up though. they're actually reusable!

Still need to pick up some dry ice and finish removing the sound deadening on the floors. Going to clean the seats tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great thread, glad to see you giving the car the care it deserves.

And wow, that's quite a stable you've got there! Very nice. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I plan on unloading the 528i. I bought it to daily, then I got the jetta, and then decided I should just daily the m3 because the body isnt great on it anyways. I've put 100k miles on the M5 alone over the past 5.5 years. I have a suzuki I ride too when the weather is nice. I do a lot of driving...

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Today was the day to tackle the seats. They weren't terrible, but there was some mold from the car sitting with water in it for months. I pulled them all the way out and sprayed them with the pressure washer. Cleaned right up. I used the widest spread tip in the pressure washer to not tear up the seat fabric.

They turned out alright. I vacuumed them after pressure washing them and then left them on the trailer out in the sun to dry.

No more putting it off. Need to finish the floors because the carpet and seats are ready to go back in! Also, this car needs the headliner redone, something I have not done before. Probably will pull it before putting the front seats back in.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
looks good. nice little lineup you've accumulated. :beer:
Thanks! I need to downsize. I'd like to try and trade the 528i either towards a newer motorcycle or some machining equipment like a nice lathe or bridgeport.

So like I mentioned in the first post, I finally had most of the parts from my buddies former project jetta delivered. It was a Toyota Sienna fully loaded worth, and there are still parts that have not been delivered yet.

NIB axles, NIB grille

NIB Radiator

NIB Front and rear MK4 brake conversion

NIB glovebox

Near mint grey center console (mine is black)

Original headlights and tail lights with 62k miles

Various interior pieces

Fresh steering wheel, jack kit, wheel beauty rings. Not pictured are Powdercoated 14" steelies and sandblasted 15" Corrado G60 steelies

New control arms powdercoated silver

New hubs, tie rod ends. Not pictured a subframe with a new manual rack

New master cylinder, Brake resevoir, remanned Brake booster

various underhood parts

And the part I have been waiting on, a very fresh, crack free dash. Just have to swap the vin plates.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts