VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys! I'm 16 with and 89 Golf GL. Its an auto with 109xxx with great working heat, a.c., and cruise control that's not working. I bought the car when i was 15 in March 2011 it had 107xxx more or less miles. I don't have my license a job or any experience yet and all the work i do is with my dad and the money i get cutting grass, which are the week days when i don't have sports and weekends.

To Start Off:

Picture of the car as it sits now:

This what I have done to it already:
Kenwood Head Unit with all New Spearkers
Thule Roof Rack with Fairing
White Powder Coated G60 Valve cover with maching Intake Manifold
Front hood Spoiler not yet body matched

Motor Shots as it sits now:

I have a few plans for it and parts i wana save up to buy this winter which ill most likely have questions about it!

More pictures coming soon!

To be continued.....:D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
antifreezeeee

I've been having problems with my temperature light going on and over heating 2 months back and when i changed the thermostat the problem was fixed. Now the light is starting to go back on and I've noticed it was leaking antifreeze, and accumulating on the top of the reservoir and dripping onto some other wires. when i filled it the light went off but i don't wana have to keep refilling it.

could it be a crack in the reservoir? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I've been having problems with my temperature light going on and over heating 2 months back and when i changed the thermostat the problem was fixed. Now the light is starting to go back on and I've noticed it was leaking antifreeze, and accumulating on the top of the reservoir and dripping onto some other wires. when i filled it the light went off but i don't wana have to keep refilling it.

could it be a crack in the reservoir? Any suggestions?
It doesn't have to be the reservoir, but also the coolant lines to the radiator. Check for leaks. Also, since it is related to over heating, check your fan switch and make sure your fan is working.

Also, since you bought a new thermostat, did you test it before you put it in? Are you aware of the trick of drilling two holes in the ring to make it work better?

Do you have a bentley manual?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I haven't had much time to log on here to update on things :/ . Soo update is last week I got my new antifreeze reservoir from NGP racing with 2 extra level sensors, one I installed it and tightened everything it was my old sensor that was loose and leaky. Yesterday I order my new wink mirror :D which comes in 2-5 business days

Before

After

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So the update today is got some work done. Yesterday got my wink mirror and installed it right away:D

Also was reading the DIY threads and thought it would be cool to reverse my back wiper so why not!:thumbup:
Before:

After:

Question Time!:eek::p So when i first bought the car i have been having trouble with keeping my moulding on my back seat driver side on. I have 3 of the 4 clips but took them off because they didn't stay tight , so i used duct tape to see if it would do the job BUT it didn't . I saw ecstuning sells them but when i saw mine they just pushed away from the door. What could i use?:screwy:
Picture:

·
Registered
1883 Jetta Turbo Diesel, 1991 Jetta Ecodiesel, 1991 GTI, 1996 A6 Avant, 1998 Jetta TDI
605 Posts
Car looks clean:thumbup:

To keep your molding on 3M molding tape works awesome, most walmarts sell it.

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Hey guys so I was thinking today of cleaning up my brakes and painting them. I was planing on doing blue or so but was not sure what to do with the drums so that it doesn't look like a crapy job,
Any suggestions?
just spray the drums in black. any colours on drums just looks stupid imo.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
just spray the drums in black. any colours on drums just looks stupid imo.
Or an OEM looking silver. But any other color, just like stated above, looks stupid imo.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well I have been having a problem starting my car , on a cold start it will start right up but on the 3rd or 4th time it wont start only after playing with the gas pedal , the motor cranks but doesn't start. I recently just changed the 2nd spark plug because of a little leak not much at all and because of a clicking sound from the motor aswell. I talked to one of my friends and told me one of my lifters could be dirty or gunked up and told me to use this stuff to clear it up.

My question is did I have to gap the spark plug?

Any suggestions would be great!

Note: before my car ran fine so somewhere on the line I did something wrong.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
You have to gap a sparkplug if its just the single conact ones. The ones with 3 prongs you cant.

gap is 0.028

on NGK site it said 0.032

EDIT

bosche website says anywhere between 0.028-0.034 will work

1 - 20 of 108 Posts