VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
regardless its an excuse to clean the garage and start the year with a rebuild. and at least that rules out teh possiblity of being voted DD for the night! :laugh: :thumbup:
Haha yeah my garage hasn't had space for a car since we've moved in like in 2000 and let's just hope once me and my dad are done it's all in one piece and running again:laugh:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Question time :)

Well since im planning to pull my head and change my piston rings and what not i thought i would be a good opportunity to clean everything up on its exterior or interior if any body has any tips or tricks. i was planning on using my die grinder but after going through the search forums i think it may be a little to rough for it. I'm not planning to do any serious mods just fix and clean.

So my question is what are the best methods of cleaning the head?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Do a rebuild AND a manual conversion! :D Nice car anywho.:thumbup::popcorn:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Well the rebuild has begun!

my dad and i a few weeks ago pulled the head and had a few guys look at it and said i had some scoring on my cam, from the advice we got we ended up taking it to the machine shop to see what they can find with doing some test and worst thing could be just a new head gasket. well they found exhaust leaks in a few of the valves and are now going to resurface the head and adjust the springs with new VW valves that have been reseated. thats being done and should be done by next week or so, on a side note i made over 200$ for the snow day we had last week that willl realy help to pay for costs:D

i have a lot of pictures from pulling the head i will post soon,
if you have any questions or comments then lets start talking:):thumbup:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well the rebuild has begun!

my dad and i a few weeks ago pulled the head and had a few guys look at it and said i had some scoring on my cam, from the advice we got we ended up taking it to the machine shop to see what they can find with doing some test and worst thing could be just a new head gasket. well they found exhaust leaks in a few of the valves and are now going to resurface the head and adjust the springs with new VW valves that have been reseated. thats being done and should be done by next week or so, on a side note i made over 200$ for the snow day we had last week that willl realy help to pay for costs:D

i have a lot of pictures from pulling the head i will post soon,
if you have any questions or comments then lets start talking:):thumbup:
Do a manual conversion. DO IT.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Project cars

Forget all that painting stuff and cosmetic whatnot, oh and painting engine parts white is a really bad idea. You should just concentrate on getting all the mechanical stuff 100% before doing any mods. Looks like a solid base to start with though. The Bentley manual is your best friend.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Forget all that painting stuff and cosmetic whatnot, oh and painting engine parts white is a really bad idea. You should just concentrate on getting all the mechanical stuff 100% before doing any mods. Looks like a solid base to start with though. The Bentley manual is your best friend.
thanks for the advice:thumbup: i had a different view of things before since i wasnt really expireinced i guess you can say but now i just want it to run again, with the valve cover and stuff i was looking for a g60 cover and a friend of mine was selling his and a bunch of other parts already painted so i bought both, it looked great new thoguh :rolleyes: oh and bentley = god :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
NEW UPDATE! today i figured i would finally post the pics of the tear down. also since i havent been updating anything at all i already have most of the parts ready to be installed again. for the rebuild i bought all new bolts from ecstuning and rebuild kit from german auto parts and a few other parts. ive been spending a lot of time the last few days polishing and cleaning the rust/patina that built up over time which suprisingly looks better than i thought .

now on to the pictures from order of parting it:

voila! soo what do you all think?:D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Lookin' good, but I don't think you're gonna be satisfied with that automatic... you really need to look into a manual swap, its actually easier than you'd think.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Somebody along the way might have already suggested, but since you have the motor torn apart you may as well do valve guides, valve seals, new lifters, and since you mentioned the cam is worn I'd throw in a new cam.
It sounds like a lot of add on's and it may retard the the completion of your project, but how often are you planning on pulling your head apart?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Lookin' good, but I don't think you're gonna be satisfied with that automatic... you really need to look into a manual swap, its actually easier than you'd think.
well.. for now i dont mind it since i haven't officially drove it but that is definitely on the to do list once i save up money, research, and get familiar with swapping it and thee whole process,im still young so so i dont have any rush :p:thumbup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Somebody along the way might have already suggested, but since you have the motor torn apart you may as well do valve guides, valve seals, new lifters, and since you mentioned the cam is worn I'd throw in a new cam.
It sounds like a lot of add on's and it may retard the the completion of your project, but how often are you planning on pulling your head apart?
That has been done:thumbup: when we pulled the head we had a friends check it out who are familiar with this type of work. they said to get it tested and to see what the machine shop thought , at that point that was all we could really do. so we brought it to the machine shop, they tested it and found exhaust leaks in a few of the valves and im not sure if i posted this but when the car wasnt starting we did all electrical and fuel tests and a compression test that read 60 in every piston. so the shop resurfaced the head with all new VW valves, polished the cam from all the scoring/ scratches ran into it, cleaned the lifters and i guess compressed them like new, we also had them change the O ring in the cam shaft. and to clean it all up they covered in fresh paint:)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
QUESTION: Now im starting to clean up parts and what not before putting it all back togther. so my question is screw clamp or spring clamps???? ive been changing all the clamps to shine things up a bit but wasnt sure if it would work the same do to the pressure in the lines. anybody have advice?

these are the ones ive bought from a local autoparts store to change to
http://www.google.com/search?q=scre...g&biw=1024&bih=660&sei=QHg4T6usGoy40AHioonGAg

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
wait wait wait....this things' an auto? :facepalm: (fail)

yeah do the valvetrain build and toss in a new cam.

and go with screw hose clamps so you can undo them later. it's a mkII, you WILL undo them later down the road.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
wait wait wait....this things' an auto? :facepalm: (fail)

yeah do the valvetrain build and toss in a new cam.

and go with screw hose clamps so you can undo them later. it's a mkII, you WILL undo them later down the road.
yeah i read the bentley and mk2 use screw clamps as well i think in the 16v's, and im still young i have time to do the swap and all my plans for it :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
hey if you have the motivation and the follow-through then i say f'n DO IT!!!! :thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Update: So its been awile since ive posted pics and stuff but ive been doin work
Pictures after the head rebuild:

So after doing all that work and doing compression test dry and wet we came to the conclusion the piston rings are shot, on a wet compression test each cylinder read 127 and on dry about 60. ill be pulling the motor out with my dad thiss weekend, while the motor is out were gonna match the engine bay with the rest of the car and cleaning the rust on the black and spraying it aswell and trans possibly .thats it for now

41 - 60 of 108 Posts