VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I sold my TT and bought this GTI. A few months before that I sold my Golf R which has widely been considered one of the biggest mistakes someone could make. This GTI is my redemption. I bought it from a kid that just didn't understand. For starters he lives in Wyoming... He acquired this GTI in a trade for his beat as hell Honda 2000 that was yellow, covered in stickers and had purple/black zebra striped wheels... Long story short he only owned the GTI for 6 days before I bought it. I met the new owner of a yellow S2000 at a cars n coffee last week. Really nice guy that was excited to see an actual car enthusiast get ahold of his old GTI. When I say old I mean it in a few ways. While the car may only be 22 years old, the last year of the MKII, it has 289,000 miles. Its old. Its remarkably clean for that mileage. The paint has been resprayed in a mediocre way, it creaks and moans and rattles but thats all just character. I love it. Its everything I wanted my TT to be. Its fun to drive as long as you don't try to hold the crappy fake wood steering wheel thats too close to the turn signal stalk. :facepalm: Change is in the air.

As usual I waited until I made some headway before starting a thread. I like to call my threads "documentation" because they aren't simply build threads. Ive titled this one "Project Anti-stance" because thats precisely what it will be. Im not opposed to stance its just not the direction this particular car will go. Project Anti-stance; OEM+, canyon carver, a little show and definitely some go.

This is where it starts

·
Registered
11,127 Posts
FV-QR

i support this

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Looks good as is, but I'm betting you've got some ideas for improvements.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I was really hoping that car would get some suspension travel. Good on you for reversing some of the other poor choices and bad workmanship that are so inherent to cars that get the stance treatment, though.

I'll be interested if I click back and find this car on stock suspension. :thumbup:

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I was really hoping that car would get some suspension travel. Good on you for reversing some of the other poor choices and bad workmanship that are so inherent to cars that get the stance treatment, though.

I'll be interested if I click back and find this car on stock suspension. :thumbup:
I was thinking the same because of the title, Anti-Stance...

thinking that this would be a car that wasnt slammed on its nutz with low offset wheels on it....but, looking at the pics, this car is the epitome of stanced....

not saying there is anything wrong with that, whatever floats ones boat, but this isn't an "Anti Stance" car....

good luck on your project:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking the same because of the title, Anti-Stance...

thinking that this would be a car that wasnt slammed on its nutz with low offset wheels on it....but, looking at the pics, this car is the epitome of stanced....

not saying there is anything wrong with that, whatever floats ones boat, but this isn't an "Anti Stance" car....

good luck on your project:thumbup:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the first post. The pictures are the car in the form which I bought it a couple weeks ago. I will be reversing many of the mods. Maybe I should have titled it "de-stance." Either way it will not look this way for long.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've got a gti steering wheel you can snag for $20 if interested. im local and can send you pics if you'd like.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts