VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So we've just picked up a new allroad that we're going to be doing a project series around. The main photo galleries and installment stories will run on our blog but I figured I'd start a build thread for more discussion about the car, what we're doing to it or what we even have questions about doing to it for those who have already been working in this space.

We picked up a 2014 silver with color-matched cladding and are loving it.

The first installment just ran on the blog. You can find it here: http://fourtitude.com/features/project_cars_and_builds/project-b8-5-allroad-introduction/

·
Registered
16,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So one of the things we'd really like to do with the allroad is to do some sort of height adjustable suspension. While air as we all understand it would be cool, we'd like to do something a little less show and stance oriented and a little more functional and OE in its delivery. In other words, something like what was on the original allroad or on the Q7 now, and not something that'll sit on the belly pan, tuck the wheels under the fender or require non OE control pads or apps to operate basic settings. We'd like it to look OE and operate in an OE way. I personally think there's an untapped market of allroad, Q5 and other owners who'd be into something like that since Audi hasn't offered air suspension at all on the B8 (only Porsche has with Macan).

All of that said, there's a lot of hardware in the industry that might be tapped to make this happen. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear any suggestions. I'd prefer to do basic controls (high, medium and low) with an OE switch and I don't want to lose my spare tire or trunk space because I have to install tanks or compressors.

·
Registered
16,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

After asking around, our first serious upgrade to the allroad was suspension. We did our research and learned our options regarding bags, coilovers or simply just springs. For now, and following our OEMplus theme, we went with springs. We'd still like some height adjustability at the dash like the ur allroad and we're looking into that, but for now we've started with springs.

Want to know more of our thinking, hear how we like them or see more pics of the car? Here's link to the installment on the suspension.

http://fourtitude.com/features/proj...ad/project-b85-allroad-sport-springs-from-hr/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2015 AR on order, mythos black with full body paint and sport package. Looking at doing the same thing when I take delivery, keeping it oem+ as well. Do you think it needs spacers after the drop? Curious to see 20" wheel choice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've got a 2015 AR on order, mythos black with full body paint and sport package. Looking at doing the same thing when I take delivery, keeping it oem+ as well. Do you think it needs spacers after the drop? Curious to see 20" wheel choice.
My brother has 18" OEM wheels with KW height adjustable springs and 12mm spacer at each wheel (front and back). I think is a pretty nice combo (although I would prefer 19" wheels)...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your brother's ride looks awesome. I think his drop is more aggressive but confirms that spacers are definitely needed with anything smaller then a 20" wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts