VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (67Customs)

Agreed to use it as a DIY. This guy marked everything he used, the mixtures, and just did everything absolutely amazing. Pictures are great for beginners like myself, so I loved it. Thank you for finding the link, 67!

·
Banned
3,998 Posts
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (67Customs)

Ha! I linked this in my regional forum and 2 of my friends have already called me about stuff!
It IS a very good write-up.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

that is amazing http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif this guy must have a few hundred cars under his belt.

·
Registered
873 Posts

That's pretty sick. I wish I had that time/skill to do all of that! DAMN!

I am curious...I have some little divots in my door moulding where people have opened their doors into mine. He mentioned in this write up that he replaced the moulding on the Bora. Anyone know where I can find a DIY on how to do that? I'd like to replace mine on both sides. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,998 Posts
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (Cycle_Michael)

Quote, originally posted by Cycle_Michael »
That's pretty sick. I wish I had that time/skill to do all of that! DAMN!

I am curious...I have some little divots in my door moulding where people have opened their doors into mine. He mentioned in this write up that he replaced the moulding on the Bora. Anyone know where I can find a DIY on how to do that? I'd like to replace mine on both sides. Thanks.

I believe they are held on with double sided tape, you should be able to run some fishing line/ dental floss in between the car and the molding and peel them off.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (Blacksheepsquad)

OMG! I cannot believe how clean he got it...inside and out. WOW.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (helement2003)

he mentions using megs apc on multiple parts of the car. what is apc and where can i get it?

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (CBerger)

APC is Meguiar's All-Purpose-Cleaner that is found in their Detailer line.

You can purchase it from Meguiar's. Click this link (http://www.meguiars.com/estore/) and then click on the Professional (Detailer Brand) link on the left and look for the APC.
Or, I like buying it from AutoGeek. They are top notch people.
http://www.autogeek.net/mg10101.html

·
Registered
982 Posts

ok. so its kind of a multi surface, multi application cleaner. the bora write up mentioned using it in the door jambs and the engine bay, although the link you posted has it mainly as an interior cleaner. would it work well to clean up hoses and surfaces under the hood? thanks for the info.
and on a sidenote. this detailing forum is by far the best forum i've found on vortex. more people full of information here than anywhere else instead of just the same old threads. thanks

Modified by CBerger at 7:00 PM 10-17-2007

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (CBerger)

We try.
Well, it may talk about interiors more, but I have found little that Meg's APC will not work on inside and outside the vehicle. I use it outside, inside, under the hood, under the car, etc... Heck, my wife has a bottle of it to clean inside the house. It works everywhere.

·
Registered
916 Posts

I'm amazed at the process and the turnaround.
My sister has that same model of Jetta, and after reading this detail have a sudden urge to make it look new again....hmm.....
Good find, 67

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

that is unbelievable. truly a professional.

I love a clean car as much as the next guy, but honestly, this much work into a Jetta? I may have missed it, but did he get paid to do this, and more importantly, how much?

Modified by mhjett at 11:41 AM 10-18-2007

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (mhjett)

Quote, originally posted by mhjett »
I love a clean car as much as the next guy, but honestly, this much work into a Jetta? I may have missed it, but did he get paid to do this, and more importantly, how much?
Yeah, a Jetta. Think about it, 10 - 20 hrs worth of detailing can completely put a car into a new level of worth. Adding a couple thousand dollers to it's value in some cases. Even on a lowly Jetta.
He didn't get paid for it. He bought the car for himself. He is either cleanign it up for himself or he is restoring it to sell it and make money. I think he will sell it because he calls it his 2007 spring/summer project.
Think about it, for the steal he bought it for and the condition it is in now, he could easily make a good chunk of change for his work. OR, if he was just detailing it for himself, why not. You buy a car that has been decently maintained drivetrain wise for cheap, especially a diesel, and you have the capability to completely make it look new again, why not? You get a completely cheap car that you make worth much more.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

true, i was thinking similar things... such a thorough detail could easily add a couple grand to the value of the car, if you take into account what you'd pay for a car in the original condition, and what you could ask for it after.
but when i read thru his summary , it sounded like he'd worked on it over a couple weeks. if it was only 10-20 hrs., that's a whole different story.
I definitely understand the value in a good detail though--I keep my own car as clean as I can because to me, elbow grease is the easiest/cheapest way to retain it's value. but this guy's skills and products make my details look like a dog and pony show.

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Project Bora! VERY well written detail write-up on a TDI Bora detail... (mhjett)

Quote, originally posted by mhjett »
but when i read thru his summary , it sounded like he'd worked on it over a couple weeks. if it was only 10-20 hrs., that's a whole different story.
Well, it sounded to me like he was just doing a little at a time. I am taking my sweet time cleaning up my new to me Jeep. At an hour and a half a day about three days a week, it has taken me two weeks so far and I still have to polish some of the paint. It takes time when you don't have the time all in a couple of days to devote to it.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts

This isn't the same guy that does the $10,000 detailing jobs on Veyrons and such, is it?
He looks very similar and his process seems nearly identical. And he's in England.
Either way, he's an incredible detailer!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts