VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
321 - 340 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Re: FV-QR (VR SEX)

Bringing this to the top, just so I can say that if you have never met Shawn, you need to!
This man drove over an hour (one way) today to help me with my car. He is very knowledgeable and has great ideas (you can tell that by reading this thread). He is the master of overkill

Shawn never asked for or would accept a dime for helping me, for that I am extremely indebted to him. Thanks to him, I can get my car back on the road much quicker than anticipated.
Here are some more
for you.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Re: FV-QR (rycou34)

Thanks Rycou, but the be accurate, it was almost 2hrs with I-4 traffic

J/k, your car looks awesome as usual and it is going to be a real pleasure with the 02m (I am certain). It really was my pleasure helping you out. I also benefited a bit too by making the Jig for the VR Front 02m mounts, so it wasn't entirely a selfless visit

BTW, when you went inside, I stole your LMs

Peace

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Re: FV-QR (sdezego)

Have you thought about the what the speed sensor will read with the smaller wheels. Have you come up with a idea to convert the sensor?
205/40/17 is 23.46"
225/45/17 is 24.97"
difference of 1.51''
The speed will be -3.64mph @60
[email protected]
for every mile it will be .06 mil lower

Modified by VRT at 12:08 PM 3-6-2010

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Re: FV-QR (VRT)

Quote, originally posted by VRT »
Have you thought about the what the speed sensor will read with the smaller wheels. Have you come up with a idea to convert the sensor?
205/40/17 is 23.46"
225/45/17 is 24.97"
difference of 1.51''
The speed will be -3.64mph @60
[email protected]
for every mile it will be .06 mil lower

I have thought about it in the back of my mind, but haven't really focused on it yet due to low priority.
I was actually "considering" going with 45, but that may be utter non-sense. I am not slammed and will never be, plus I will never be stretched or running 9" rims. I would like to have the slightly taller gearing more than anything.
But for the speedo ratio, I am curious about your calcs. It should be a fixed difference reagrdless of speed. My guess would have been ~5mph off.
This might be correctable with speedo needle preload and some trial and error. Tweaking the cluster EEPROM is another

Modified by sdezego at 11:35 AM 3-7-2010

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Re: FV-QR (DUBZAK)

I just got in. You must be spying

I have made some progress on some odds and ends, but have been real busy with other projects. I just finished remodeling my son's room. 4 day projects turns into 2 solid weeks morning and night
...one thing after another.
Big progress will be happening here real soon.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
I just got in. You must be spying

I have made some progress on some odds and ends, but have been real busy with other projects. I just finished remodeling my son's room. 4 day projects turns into 2 solid weeks morning and night
...one thing after another.
Big progress will be happening here real soon.

Like actually putting the motor in a car

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Re: FV-QR (VR SEX)

I still have a lot of stuff to do before I will be ready to rip down my running car. My goal is that when I do get ready to swap, it will only be a VERY short down time (week or two).
Things left:
- Rebuild and port spare Charger
- Shorten Axles
- Powder Coat Subframe, carrier and lower Rad support
- assemble knuckles (re-pack new wheel bearings)
- press in A arm bushings and assemble KFrame
- Finish custom Wiring harnesses and disconnects to Megasquirt
- Make port matched intake mani Gasket and button up
- Clean up and paint Rack
- Fab Block Breather setup and Catch can, etc
- Build Header (probably won't do this ahead of time as I want perfect fitment)
- Rebuild front calipers from 337
- Machine parts for 02m Master Cyl onto Corrado Pedal Assy
- Build SC bypass Circuit (still undecided if this will be mechanical like the G60 or if I will attempt to use something like the APR R1)
- Build IC mounts and Prep and Paint RS Front (although I go back and forth on the RS). I have the precision Core and RS, so I will likely go this route at least initially and then may go A/W and stock front down the road
- Build IC piping
- Work out hybrid A/C lines and possibly Evap Core to clear Rear mount Alternator
- Fab up a lot of stuff (alternator Heat shield and misc stuff)
- Wrap up coolant pipes, lines, etc
- Decide if I will re-spray the bay while the lump is out

- ... I am sure there is a ton I am forgetting ...

Things still left to Buy:
- Front 312mm Rotors/pads
- Front Brake lines for 337 calipers
- 5 Lug wheels for Front (no budget to go crazy so I may just get 2 of the same R1's in 5 lug for now)
- 4 EGT probes
- IC piping
- Brake line for ABS delete
- ... a ton of stuff I am forgetting

Everyone has their sob stories about their lack of time, but mine has been a mile long for the past couple of years and has been plagued by hundreds of other projects taking precedence along with Family obligations. Just know that I am no slacker
Also, there is nothing about my swap that is straight forward and there is an immense amount of time in planning, engineering and fabricating details. It doesn't bother me though because I can go out to the garage and rip around in my Corrado and not have to look at it on blocks or something like that.
Also, as you can imagine, this has been a very costly ordeal. I have most of the stuff gathered, but still need to spend quite a bit out of pocket and with the economy being in the toilet, I am hesitant in doing so.
S

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·

So, after having everyone else projects wrapped up, I made some surprising progress.
I was able to assemble the Hubs, Repack the new bearings, press in the bushings in the A Arms and get the spindles together. I also picked up the KFrame, carrier and lower Rad support from the Powder Coater. However, I asked for Gloss and he wrote down and did Satin (chassis black) as most people do

removing the seals and repacking the bearings. The new bearings have very little grease! I have a special crapsman screwdriver than I ground down to aid and prevents nicking the seals. It still takes a steady and patient hand.

I apparently didn't have the proper thread pitch tap, so I made my own to clean up the threads

Modified by sdezego at 12:27 AM 4-30-2010

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·

I also test fitted the 337/20th 312mm Carriers and calipers on the Vr spindles. I bought the 337 Dust Shields, but they do not fit proper and I will likely just run the Vr ones.

As Mentioned above, I also got some stuff back from the Powder Coater

Notice anything different here in the next 2 images?

A Arm bushings are the suck. No more Poly on this round. R32 Rear and stock Front.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »

Click for larger pics
That is because cok suckers like to seal my images and sell their crap on FleaBay with my pictures behind it

oh, didn't know they were clicky. Stealing your pics.. that's gay.

321 - 340 of 697 Posts