VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (sdezego)

must be something in the water down there, we're lazy as balls around here....wish i was down there....palm tree hugers....
oh the engine looks good in case you needed my approval to continue and not lose sleep at night.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Do all rocket scientists drive crazy Turbo cars or whatt!
Yeah I'm usually lazy, speaking for myself, but this guys got good drive, hope to see it at FixxFest!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (sdezego)

So I take it you're a machinist...

Nice work man! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Re: (sdezego)

Been out of town and busy, so no major progress except for spending more money and more circular decisions regarding ignition.
I have some 16V IM Shaft parts coming Tues, so I will make a Final decision on Dist vs Coil Pack (or COP). If you want to know what I think was the final clincher, you may laugh. I will be running the Timing belt guards and the lower AEB guard will not fit on the 52T IM Shaft Gear for Distrubuter (obviously since the AEB uses a 43T gear like the 9a).
It is just one of those things you don't think of until you go to do it. Also, the 43T gear will turn the Oil pump faster, which can't be a bad thing
I just want to take the ABA and 9a oil pumps apart to compare and make sure this is nothing I am missing (other than the forked vs splined shaft). I am almost certain the gears are the same size, but want to verify reliefs and such.

I did get my Vr Lenses and Bezels installed on my ECodes though. All I can say is Flush! The G60 Ecode gaps and steps from Vr grill to fenders really annoyed me. I also have a set of Vr Fogs coming for the RS Front that will house the Precision FMIC.
Mock pic of the head and belt on (now all subject to change). I also, did not make the tensioner mod yet to affix it (since the stock 20v uses the hydro damper and relay roller).

Modified by sdezego at 5:37 PM 1-2-2007

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Re: (sdezego)

I had a few questions about how I was going to modify the 20v Tensioner, so here is my off the cuff ideas.
1st - If you are not running a Dist and plan on running the 16v/aeb IM shaft 43T gear, then you can simply use the 16v "fixed" type tensioner with the 157T custom belt and call it a day. No need to read on in this post.
If you are running Dist (Which I was going to), you have to run the only available "correct Tooth belt" at 158T (159T would be perfect) which will not fit with the 16V tensioner. You must use the 20V variant which allows you to use the 158T belt.
Here are two ideas that I had for mod'ing the 20V tensioner to make it "Fixed" instead of the hydro self-adjusting. Even though I am not running dist, I may still use the 20v type pictured and "affix it" as shown.
Option #1
Click to Enlarge:

Option #2

Modified by sdezego at 5:24 PM 1-2-2007

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Re: (bulldog2.G)

Quote, originally posted by bulldog2.G »
Thoroughly Jealous, Shawn.

X2. But at least now I know I can handle him around a golf course.
Did you ever get that thing I mailed to you?

I never heard back...

·
10,790 Posts
Re: (Pigsdofly)

Update?

21 - 40 of 697 Posts