VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
421 - 440 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts
Axles are all done!! Shortened and trued :thumbup:

Pics should be forthcoming...
If I send you a set of axle shafts and measurements could you do a set for me? The mk1 likes to bind inner CV's and sheer them.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 · (Edited)
Refacing the cut from the chop saw and beveling

Cutting the sleeve for .0015" pres fit

Pressing sleeve in Axle half

Blind holes to weld sleeve to Axle

Welded Blind holes

going together

For some reason, I stopped taking pics. Will take some of the finished product this weekend.

S

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
If I send you a set of axle shafts and measurements could you do a set for me? The mk1 likes to bind inner CV's and sheer them.
IM sent. Been a long time and I forget if the Mk1 are solid or hollow (seemed to recall one of each..)

I can say that these took way more time than I was anticipating. I have shortened various axles in the past, but these were very time consuming. Needless to say, I am not advertising the service :p

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
16th :) Anniv too :laugh:

I started assembling more of the Mock bay to get an idea of IC placement, A/C lines, bumper, etc. I may use the Mk4 A/C condenser as it fits with a few tweaks (with the help of a couple of side brkts to the Rad). This makes sense for a few reason, but one being they are on $80 new any anything to get away from Corrado specific stuff is all :beer: money after that... But, it also relocates the drier, press switch, etc and I can use some of the Mk4 lines. The one from the comp to the condenser directly. I have a disturbingly large collection of A/C lines and parts from different VWs :laugh:

I was also really giving thought to a different front mount from what I had planned. I may have mentioned, but I have the Dietrich RS front and a nice new Precision Core that was set to go in it. I really want to keep the stock bumper though now (especially with Dogger's 70mm front lip that is coming), so I may get creative. In close comparison, I realized how much more space there is with the Vr upper Rad support using the G60 Rad even before cutting the front vertical strut. There is also more vertical space because the Vr support bumps way up on the Pass side where the rad ends where the G60 slopes down. I never realized this before. So, I really see no reason why one could not stack the "right" IC core like the Mk4/5, etc does. I am going to start to investigate some factory cores to check size and outlets. Since this is in front of the Rad, there is surprising space there as mentioned. I'll take some pics and measurements of what I am talking about.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Happy late B-day and Anniversary Shawn! I can't wait to see what you come up with for the intercooler... we've all seen it done the wrong way before (and I've done it the wrong way myself too), but I'm sure you'll come up with a clean solution :)

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
16th Anniversary of your Corrado build? :confused:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
16th was my B Day. 15 Anniv dik :p

Seriously though, if I had the money, this would done by Jan 1. Instead, I am just enjoying driving the C every day and making over engineered decisions on the new setup :laugh:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 · (Edited)
I started getting the power steering lines in. Some slight tweaking on the rear was necessary to clear the custom rear mount which was known. I also fabbed up a small support bracket to mount the lines to the rear S/F cup flange (same location as stock), but not shown.

Looks like I decided to go with the MkIV A/C condenser for the reasons mentioned above. I still have one small brkt to make (line support), but it's easy. Here are some of the mockup pics.

MkIV Compressor and discharge line

MkIV condenser mounted to the G60 Rad. Notice how the left side has the Drier mount, which fits around the rad nicely and clear the G60 and compressor w/o issue. The high side line comes off the bottom of the drier and I will show when I get one on.

Bracket I needed to Fab. Also needed to redrill the left side tabs (no biggie) and need to make the line bracket still.

421 - 440 of 697 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.