VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
461 - 480 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
...Funny story though, my daughter came out in the garage the other night and was watching me work. Apparently, she is going to be a typical woman becuase her exact word were (and I sh!t you not), "...and dad, when you are going to finally put this new motor in? I'm tired of looking at it..." wtf :screwy:
LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Funny story though, my daughter came out in the garage the other night and was watching me work. Apparently, she is going to be a typical woman becuase her exact word were (and I sh!t you not), "...and dad, when you are going to finally put this new motor in? I'm tired of looking at it..." wtf :screwy:
And how old is she? :laugh:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 · (Edited)
Since I had to rewire a few things for Meqasquirt3 and I had the glove box out, I deiced to swap the HVAC controls yet again. This time to the MkiV. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and had actually modified the controls with LEds about a year ago :p ..nothing in comparison to what Dirk does.

Full thread from original interior swap and the latest additions in here (note: 2 tone leather went to all factory black a while back) -> Interior Swap and Renew Complete + extras (VERY VERY Pic...

Click for bigger pics:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
I also got MS3 fully tuned this weekend, but only took about 45 minutes. :eek:

I also had to change a couple of jumper wires from the pic posted above. I had to chance the VSS signal in to go direct to a spare input pin on MS. I had it going through a conditioning circuit and was not getting the speed signal.

All is well not tough and I now have speed in the logs as well as gear indication :cool:

MS3 is really amazing. I though it was going to be hard to beat MS1 with the HiighRes Extra code...

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
looking good :thumbup: you still planning on leaving the MS box in the glove compartment?
For now... I had to put the LM1 control box beneath the glove box since MS3 is much taller than MS1. I amthinking that I will try to put it where the ABS ECu is when I swap to the new motor since I will be going to non-ABS. Just not sure there is enough room there. I really don;t mind it in the glove box though. We shall see.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
Come help me wire mine up... :thumbup: :D
:D Jeff (the Prof) is an MS3 master compared to me. You should implore his help, plus he is an hour closer to you ;)

Seriously though, if you need help, just LMK. I am up in Flagler Beach all the time. Jax is not that far from there and I am easily persuaded with good Barley pops.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
For now... I had to put the LM1 control box beneath the glove box since MS3 is much taller than MS1. I amthinking that I will try to put it where the ABS ECu is when I swap to the new motor since I will be going to non-ABS. Just not sure there is enough room there. I really don;t mind it in the glove box though. We shall see.
That's why you should ditch the LM1 and go with LC1 and lemme know how you plan to put that controller inside the cabin :laugh:

If the glove box was easier to remove than it is, I might consider mounted under it as there is tons or room. .. but the damn German enginqueers found a way to make a simple glove box almost impossible to remove w/o getting frustrated and breaking something :screwy:
Engiqueers :laugh: I think it's easy to remove the glovebox :rolleyes:.......:laugh:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I got MS2 lol... and I'm sending you an PM :heart:
He was Speed dial #1 If I came up and couldn't figure it out. :thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
im going to doing the same thing to my 88 jetta coupe.
maybe not this extensive.
but i will be doing the 1.8T with the 6 speed. but i'll be useing the ECU, wire harness and MK4 dash. maybe interior with the leather heated seats. still debating.
still undecided if im going to do the 2.0 kit and/or the AEB head.
if i get a motor with high miles on it and needs to be rebuilt i will.

anywho. i'll be hitting you up for tips and tricks on this swap.

keep up the good work. :thumbup:
this is gonne be epic! :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
Thanks! Using the MkiV harness and ECU is not a bad way to go (especially if a stock tune is fine). I am just strongly against the "chip Tuners" and the price they charge... AEB head is great, but plenty of power to be had from small port head. I would get what is readily available at a good price.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
Well, after putting the front end together on the mock setup, taking detailed measurements and trying to fit my Precision Core under the stock bumper, I have come to the definite conclusion (I think), that my only solution for a good IC is:

1.) AWIC
2.) Build a custom FMIC

Guess which one I am going to undertake :laugh:

My constraints (which did change from the start where I planned on running my Dietrich RS) are now to use the stock bumper, get proper air flow for IC, Condenser, oil cooler and Rad, and look as close to stock as possible. That means to even run the Lower bumper grill as well. I in no way want to hack up a stock bumper and try to stuff a core in there that is wedged to the rebar and blocks all proper air flow.

I did some research on some cores with my measurements and I have a few options. I just need to decide, bite the bullet and build. Bell cores are hella expensive, so I may need to try and set up a reseller account through my brothers shop. Or find a comparable efficient core.

Stay Tuned..

Shawn

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
what would you say was the closest absolute part to the condenser? Enough room for a full IC? Like some Saabs run? Was a model year Passat that ran that setup as well...

And again, Thanks for all the help :beer:

461 - 480 of 697 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.