VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
481 - 500 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
what would you say was the closest absolute part to the condenser? Enough room for a full IC? Like some Saabs run? Was a model year Passat that ran that setup as well...:
The closest part of the Rad support. I have some better pics I will post up. The Vr support is narrower (allowing more room) between the Condenser and the support itself, but either one would need to be modified. I will mod and reinforce.

Yea, a factory front mount would be ideal and most are pretty inexpensive brand new, but the problems with the ones that I have searched (2.0t, Saabs, Volvos, etc) is that they are either too tall, or the outlets are positioned to face rear and come in either over the top or sides of the rad and point back. This might work with a narrow radiator (i.e. like the Rallye golf FMIC), but as you know, with FL heat in the summer, a black car and A/C to boot, you need as big of a rad as you can get. So, I am not downsizing that.

What I foresee, is a FM similar in size to the ones you mentioned (large surface area), but the Inlet and Outlet will come off in the same plan as the IC but head out toward the right and left tow hooks. Then pipe around and up as usual.

I have the design already finalized in my mind and it will definitely work nicely. I just need to find and buy the right core to get started.

A 2.5" core looks like it would be perfect, but I could squeeze a 3" core in there if need be. Bell doesn't have a 2.5", but they have a 2.25 and a 3". The Difference in flow is very small (only 25cfm).

And again, Thanks for all the help :beer:
No problem. We will get it built ;)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
The closest part of the Rad support. I have some better pics I will post up. The Vr support is narrower (allowing more room) between the Condenser and the support itself, but either one would need to be modified. I will mod and reinforce.

Yea, a factory front mount would be ideal and most are pretty inexpensive brand new, but the problems with the ones that I have searched (2.0t, Saabs, Volvos, etc) is that they are either too tall, or the outlets are positioned to face rear and come in either over the top or sides of the rad and point back. This might work with a narrow radiator (i.e. like the Rallye golf FMIC), but as you know, with FL heat in the summer, a black car and A/C to boot, you need as big of a rad as you can get. So, I am not downsizing that.

What I foresee, is a FM similar in size to the ones you mentioned (large surface area), but the Inlet and Outlet will come off in the same plan as the IC but head out toward the right and left tow hooks. Then pipe around and up as usual.

I have the design already finalized in my mind and it will definitely work nicely. I just need to find and buy the right core to get started.

A 2.5" core looks like it would be perfect, but I could squeeze a 3" core in there if need be. Bell doesn't have a 2.5", but they have a 2.25 and a 3". The Difference in flow is very small (only 25cfm).
Can't wait to see this, might as well just build 2 :laugh:

No problem. We will get it built ;)
:thumbup: Just printed the a2 resource guide ;)

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
There are some "custom" order Garrett cores that are 2.3" wide. That's what I'm planning on running. They are hard to get, but if there is a will there is a way. I need to send you my excel spreadsheet and you can do some performance crunching :laugh:

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 · (Edited)
There are some "custom" order Garrett cores that are 2.3" wide. That's what I'm planning on running. They are hard to get, but if there is a will there is a way. I need to send you my excel spreadsheet and you can do some performance crunching :laugh:
Sounds like we are on the same page yet again :laugh:

Yea, I had found those earlier. However, there does not appear to be the size that I am looking for (not saying that one would not suffice). Bell, however, has every size under the sun, but at a lofty price. The one I was initially looking at from Bell is $437 retail :eek:

I am going to map out the space constraints today as it is a give and take as you know. You can go tall, but not too wide. Go a bit shorter and then wider, etc..

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 · (Edited)
Took a break on the intercooler briefly since it requires spending a lot of money :laugh: I pretty much have it all mapped out though and it will be slick.

I really hate rebuilding axles and packing CV joints, so glad they are done and on! Redline CV2

About 1/2" clearance between the CV joint and the trans cup now.

...kind of blurry, but oh well.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Took a break on the intercooler briefly since it requires spending a lot of money :laugh: I pretty much have it all mapped out though and it will be slick.
I'll build you one for twenty bukks :laugh:

I really hate rebuilding axles and packing CV joints, so glad they are done and on! Redline CV2
That job is the absolute pitts :banghead: Redline huh, nice :D

...kind of blurry, but oh well.

Time foir a better camera :p

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
inside the Drivers side fender well looking at the CV clearance between the trans cup.

@ Chad

It's not the camera, there was no light and too tight for a flash. I was in Macro mode sans flash and was not able to keep it perfect with the super slow shutter. It my Nikon, peckerhead :p

Not very exciting of a picture regardless..

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
@ Chad

It's not the camera, there was no light and too tight for a flash. I was in Macro mode sans flash and was not able to keep it perfect with the super slow shutter. It my Nikon, peckerhead :p

Not very exciting of a picture regardless..
:laugh:

I was trying to get some shots off on my fuel rail the other day and same thing, damn Nikon :facepalm:

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Be prepared to wait awhile. Shawn is expecting to have this car finished around the time he retires so he can drive it to the senior center. :laugh:
"Project 2020" maybe is a sign .........:p

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 · (Edited)
Epic build here, can't wait to see it finished. You are the reason I made a vortex account for myself.
Thanks! Things have been progressing, but haven't posted much progress as things that have been completed are all over the place and nothing significant lately other than wrapping up Megasquirt3 and getting a final tune on my current setup.

I'll give a small update though:
I made the decision to ditch the really nice precision IC Core that I bought a long while ago when the intentions were to run the Dietrich RS front (tells you how long this project has been culminating). I purchased the new IC core (not yet disclosed) and started mocking it up. Some Corrado owners may find this interesting, but I will leave it a that for now. I can only say that it is a very large area core that will look factory and still allow A/C an a full Rebar. Upper Rad support trimming is still TBD.

I have also been porting and rebuilding one of my spare chargers among other things.

I am at the point where I really want this done and in, but my time has been limited to work on this as usual. Money making jobs have to come first and these are outside of by daily job and Family life.

Not to worry, progress pics soon ;)

...and James ^

I have been also working on refinishing my spare bumper so I can get it on to show off your 70mm lip ;) Got a new lower grill, new steel lower support trim , etc.

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts
2020 is just to finish the engine and get it in the car. After that its time to move onto to other parts of the car. :D
I may still beat Shawn to having a project finished :laugh::laugh:

481 - 500 of 697 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.