VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
541 - 560 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #541 · (Edited)
...as compared to the same setup with the G60 upper Rad support.

Notice the Rad support come very close to the Condenser all the way across? Unlike the VR support on the G60 which has a lot of clearance all the way across (including the Center Down Strut Support which is much narrower on the VR).

This is all due to the fact that the VR Rad and Cond are angled a LOT more than the G60 to clear the motor and is much closer to the Grill.

also, FWIW note that someone did a piss poor job adding slots to accommodate the VR grill on the G60. They also had it recessed so the Grill sat flush with the G60 headlights where as if you have the universal VR support like I do (show in prev post) there are accommodations for both grills. However, when using the VR grill slots on the G60, the headlights will appear sunken and not even with the grill. Thus why I switched to VR Lenses and Bezels years back.

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts
Wait you got work done? Did your kids go to camp for the week or something? :laugh:

Paint work looks nice Shawn!

I know you won't use cheap parts in your build but the frozenboost AWIC heat exchanger fits perfect against the core support with no cutting and the bumper clears with room to spare. Just throwing it out there if you decide to go AWIC

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 · (Edited)
Another major difference (and the need for me to absolutely need the VR support (as you will see). the the height difference toward the Pass side of the Rad/Cond pack. Because the VR is much closer to the Grill, the top of the Rad support is heightened all the way up to the Grill.

Here is a side by side comparison of the two from above pics. Note the top of the rad support just the the right of the pass headlight (Vr left and G60 Right).

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
Wait you got work done? Did your kids go to camp for the week or something? :laugh:

Paint work looks nice Shawn!

I know you won't use cheap parts in your build but the frozenboost AWIC heat exchanger fits perfect against the core support with no cutting and the bumper clears with room to spare. Just throwing it out there if you decide to go AWIC
If I wasn't already in for 2 intercoolers and countless amounts of time, I would have went this route. I highly recommend anyone in this day and age to go AWIC. The IC that I chose (yet to be identified yet here) that led me so far was soo close to not needing a massive overhaul :laugh:

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
If I wasn't already in for 2 intercoolers and countless amounts of time, I would have went this route. I highly recommend anyone in this day and age to go AWIC. The IC that I chose (yet to be identified yet here) that led me so far was soo close to not needing a massive overhaul :laugh:
Pic to show it in action

Back to OCD awesomeness :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Nice. Plus you can run Tow Hooks (if you wanted), both full brake ducts and use the G60 IC duct for your Oil cooler :laugh:

I can't say I hadn't given it thought..
IMO the best reason is you don't have to cut the rebar at all. Therefore keeping safety equipment functional :)

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 · (Edited)
...so, here was the initial fit up. I said it was big :laugh:

Notice the cast end tanks and the 2.25" Core? As you will see I needed to gain ever inch from side to side so I needed to shave off those has Ribs, etc. ..and then some. And yes, the inlet and outlets are not in the correct orientation which I was aware of when I chose.

Stock G60 Rad in Factory position with the "G60ing" Spal Fan mod :)

More Pics Notice the clearance on the pass side top? That is partly why the VR support was a must.

Here is the way every aspect of this whole IC project went... "almost"

I need to clearance a small section of the End tank to clear the Pass headlight. Even with the shaved castings.

Driver's side is right up to the latch spring, so no room to give.

Will post more as I progress.

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
oh yea, in case you are wondering this is a VAG IC. From a Euro Audi S3 2.0t

It is a Tube/Fin as you may have noticed. There are pros and cons to both Tube/Fin and Bar/Plate IC. I decided this was best since it is basically blocking the Radiator?

I also decided I wanted the IC in front of the Condenser. Great for the IC, but maybe not so much so for the A/C :D

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
prob the thread i look forward to seeing updates on the most! thursday just got a whole lot better.

casey used the frozen boost exchanger and it does fit really well. lets also keep in mind that AWIC still has lots of hurdles to deal with. I had told myself that if i ever went AWIC i would want the resevior to be mounted under the car somewhere. I never liked the idea of cutting holes in the car to run the coolant lines to the IC and exchanger.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
oh yea, in case you are wondering this is a VAG IC. From a Euro Audi S3 2.0t

It is a Tube/Fin as you may have noticed. There are pros and cons to both Tube/Fin and Bar/Plate IC. I decided this was best since it is basically blocking the Radiator?

I also decided I wanted the IC in front of the Condenser. Great for the IC, but maybe not so much so for the A/C :D
Holy effing crammed space!

I bet you end up going AWIC by the time this project is done in 10 years :laugh:

·
Forum Elder
5,628 Posts
Did you want a chromeoly core support like I used?

My C&R radiator is 28w x 14h x 3.5 thick
Bell topflow IC is 24x x 14h x 3" thick

Slight mods to OEM bumper rebar and room for brake ducts to boot!

PM for pics.. I dont have a host anymore.

RA

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Worked a bit on the IC during Lunch so decided to back the C out and take some finished pics of the Repainted Front, New Bumper Grill, and SFT 70mm lip. I can;t say enough about the quality of this product :beer:

Click to bigger it:

Looks killer Shawn :beer:

541 - 560 of 697 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.