VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
561 - 580 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
13,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 · (Edited)
I had a bit of time to work on the modifications needed for the IC. I cut off the in/out, Welded up the Sensor ports on the end tanks, moved a section of the end tank ~1/4" to clear the Pass Ecode Headlight and also welded a mount.

Pics are not the best

Very pleased with the quality of the core!

The start

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
FV-QR

Paint looks great Shawn, sometimes ya get lucky shooting outside. Especially black, terrible color for dirt/bugs etc. The I/C looks huge. Im curious to see it all piped in/done. i fought w/ myself about doing a large front mount but that meant more chopping, lol I don't have your patience. Can you get proper airflow to the entire i/c? That was my main concern about tucking something like that, not much air flow. Had I went that route, I'd have to make some proper ducting to feel 100% about it. Looking good tho, glad to see you working on it for once lol

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,234 Posts
Nice Kawasaki G60ski. Is it a '87?

·
Registered
13,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
Paint looks great Shawn, sometimes ya get lucky shooting outside. Especially black, terrible color for dirt/bugs etc.
Thanks, yes that is why I waited for perfect conditions. Long wait..

The I/C looks huge. Im curious to see it all piped in/done. i fought w/ myself about doing a large front mount but that meant more chopping,
The Rad support and the Tow hooks are the the only thing that needed chopping (albeit quite a bit).

... lol I don't have your patience.
Sometimes I don't have the patience for my patience :laugh:

Can you get proper airflow to the entire i/c? That was my main concern about tucking something like that, not much air flow.
Yes indeed. The key is the thickness of this core. So, if you look back in the pic with the rebar, you will see there is plenty of room between the IC and the Rebar. The Fact that VW really went through strides on the Corrado to duct the entire front end and create a high pressure area from top to bottom of the rad area is a plus as you know. Reasons why the lower Rad support bolts to the bottom of the bumper.

I will also be ducting the sides as the stock did with the plastic pieces that most have removed or broken over time LOL

·
Registered
13,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
Thats the way to go honestly. a/a is a lot less bulk, just needs a little creativity to pull off a clean setup like yours. Get your ass workin now :laugh:
haha, I might since I will probably be waiting until tomorrow for this damn race to start :p

I did however do something really dumb and it is certainly not the first time I have done this. It has been off and on HOT as hell here, so welding tends to suck if you will be at it for a while. Well, I always cover, but I put the long sleeve denim shirt on I use for welding and never buttoned up the cuffs. I have two huge RED V's on underside of both lower forearms :banghead:

:snowcool:

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Nice, makes me not feel so bad after the huge sunburn I had on the undersides of my arms when I welded up my surge tank enclosure. Turns out, aluminum is pretty reflective :laugh:

The intercooler looks great, I think the performance of that core in that location is going to be a real winner :wave:

·
Registered
12,627 Posts
Nice, makes me not feel so bad after the huge sunburn I had on the undersides of my arms when I welded up my surge tank enclosure. Turns out, aluminum is pretty reflective :laugh:

Lol! I remember smelling cooking skin when I was first learning to weld aluminum. Took me a few minutes to realize what it was.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
haha awesome. The worst is using flux core above your head, it spits everywhere. my hands and arms are all scarred up from it. Im always in a rush and rarely use gloves so "just this once" turns into burning myself every time I weld on the lift. Yes, dumb..i never claimed to be smart though :laugh:

·
Registered
13,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 · (Edited)
Busy week/end, but got a bit to put toward the car.

I spent most of the day Sat cleaning up my garage and organizing (much needed) and it also gave me the gumption to transplant the new full mock bay on top :)

Just some early mocks on what I have planned for this side of the IC

Mock clears everything including brake duct with a tad bit of room for movement. Cut off tow hook area will be reinforced.

New Full Mock Bay

The Alt Clears everything nicely

For once, the VW Gods are giving me a pass!! I was really worried about needing to rework the Evaporator and re-orient the Expansion valve based on crude measurements. Well, low and behold, something actually worked in my favor for a change. 🍺 🍺

561 - 580 of 697 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.