VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: (WolfGTI)

sorry, I have been very busy here on the text reading your updates and googling, thus no time to work on mine

Actually I have made some progress of sorts. I ordered a crap load of misc parts, factory bolts, studs, elec connectors etc that should be here any day.
In addition, I took the 9a and ABA oil pumps apart to compare the internals, and as suspected, everything is interchangeable. The only difference is the Splined drive shaft on the 9a as opposed to the Forked one on the ABA. I will show some pics just for the heck of it.
So the definite plan "now" is to run the 60-2 trigger on MSnS-e as opposed to Dist. So, I am going to swap out the Modified ABA IM shaft and Cog for the 9a. Didn't put the oil pump in or pan on yet, so this is no biggie.
I have also been trying to decipher whether the 60-2 pickup I have from the ABA that I have will play nicely with MS. Seems to be some conflicting info out there and I don't own a scope.
I have also been doing some wiring or sorts
Hooking up a new Tig in my garage and honing my skills. Lots of stuff to put this to good use on!
Shawn

Modified by sdezego at 6:31 PM 1-2-2007

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Re: (sdezego)

That's a hell of a tig you got there buddy. Must have paid for that by hustling chumps like me on the golf course

Get your practice on because I might need to come over and do some fabrimicating in a few weeks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,566 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
se the 20V variant which allows you to use the 158T belt.
Here are two ideas that I had for mod'ing the 20V tensioner to make it "Fixed" instead of the hydro self-adjusting. Even though I am not running dist, I may still use the 20v type pictured and "affix it" as shown.

Just use a 16v tensioner with a standard bolt and 3 washers to space it out to keep in line with your timing gear. Thats how I did mine. It's simple, easy, and works great.

btw this is for my mk1 thus you have to use the 16v tensioner but not sure why you would want to mess with the other ideas. Not that they wouldn't work but it just seems like more work for the same result.
Keep up the sweet work though!

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Re: (d-bot)

You have pictured an internal Waterpump and a short block and therfore there are numerous OEM VW belts. For the ABA (Tall Block) Running Dist, there is no belt that will fit using the 16V tensioner (OEM or custom cut). 159T would be perfect and would allow the use of the 16V tensioner, but there is no such belt. So, you must use a 158T which requires the use of the modified 20v tensioner

Edit: No Belt with the Correct Tooth Profile. Nice setup BTW!
S

Modified by sdezego at 4:41 PM 10-11-2006

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

very slow progress. Too many other projects and such, but should have the rest of the bottom end buttoned up tonight.
in the mean time here are some pic of the Oil Pump.
In case anyone is planning on changing directions Mid stream as I did (Dist vs COP or WS) or in case you just enjoy saving a few $s, here is a tip.
If you plan on running the 16v Oil pump drive Gear and dist block off setup you can swap the Shafts from an old 9a oil Pump into the much less expensive ABA oil pump. I don't think the 16v PL has the recess notch on the Oil pump shaft becuase it does not have clearance issues as the 2Liters do, but irregardless.
Pics tell the story. oh, yea, you MUST have a press!
Click pics to enlarge:

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Another week out of town on business, but made some progress in the machine shop today. Here is my way of modifying the ABA serp pulley for the wider 16v/20v belt.
- Total cut was ~5.8mm
- .001" press fit
- perfectly eccentric and uses stock crank centering

- perfectly balanced
Click for larger pics:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (titeGTi)

Nice build but painting the block gloss black might not have been the best idea as potential oil leaks would be hard to see.

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (G60ING)

Quote, originally posted by G60ING »

You don't think that will cause routing problems for the IC and air filter?
Have you thought about running an OBDI aba TB?

Yea, that was the only one I had at the time from a spare motor. Since that pic I did get up an OBD1 ABA TB http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I really haven't finalized the routing design just yet, but I have a plan and a fall back plan.
My Main Goal is to keep a nice compressed flow out of the charger down into the FMIC (Drivers side) and then from the FMIC P/S up into the TB.
Having the air filter on the PS might be a bit tricky to route and probably impossible with the stock air box, but running the Eurosport Coolflow and a K&N looks doable.
I really want to go back to the stock air box, so I may run the air box on the Driver's side where the battery is and trunkmount the batt.
I also plan on making the charger bypass mechanical from the stock G60 butterfly/Bypass welded onto a pipe just before the TB.
Shawn

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »

looks happy to see you

crazy build man. i'd like to see it finished http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

That's what its all about reasonable power with an awesome sound http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Most Definitely. And I think that SuperSprint Header with this setup is going to help things sound very healthy

----
Progress is being made, just not at the pace that I would like. Many other distractions including installing Megasquirt on my current setup to get it tuned and any bugs worked out as well the recent acquisition of another G60-> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2974793
...oh, yea and various things in life (all good). Kids are definite Time Burglars, but they're worth it

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

I picked up an NA 20V header manifold

That was my first option, but at the time no one wanted to sell one at a decent price. Also, when I picked it up timing was right to drop coin on the SS header and it was aplenty. Still going to take fab work to Reflange it and make it fit too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (sdezego)

Re: 20V NA mani....I picked up mine for 120 from Jim at Audi5TurboTech.
How much were you being quoted?

jkm

·
Registered
401 Posts
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (sdezego)

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. On the bright side....you do have a nice build!
I've perused your thread and I see that you do your own checks on the bottom end components, where do you get that information? Tolerances, clearances etc. etc? And also the checks do you perform?
Always looking to learn a little more!
tia!

41 - 60 of 697 Posts