VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
601 - 620 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
nice old lathe...did you also get the tail stock?
my first lathe was an 1800's vintage that originally ran from leather belts and steam or water power. It had been converted to electric. cool. we have an arbor press that is late 1800's we use it mostly on superchargers. fun :)

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
1940's Churchill-Redman Cub. Very cool!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/churchill cub/
The MK1 was 1940's, this is the MK3 so it is Circa 1960. They were from the UK and used by the Royal Navy apparently. Ahead of their time. Funny enough, I got the manual from that link though.

Nice! :thumbup::thumbup:

I see a standup in the shop...you ride?
I used to, but I haven't had it out in years :( Big wave jumping was my specialty :)

nice old lathe...did you also get the tail stock?
my first lathe was an 1800's vintage that originally ran from leather belts and steam or water power. It had been converted to electric. cool. we have an arbor press that is late 1800's we use it mostly on superchargers. fun :)
:)

Yes, I got the 3 Jaw, the tail stock, etc. Unfortunately, did not get the 4 jaw, the Face plate or the rests, but that is not that big of a deal considering I got a very good deal on it. It also had a auto taper attachment as an option (in addition to the slide and cross auto feeds), but manual tapers will be fine for me. All of the feeds work proper, and the gears and headstock is in fantastic shape. It will be nice to get off the small southbend and have it here at the house to boot. ...so I can stay up all night

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,265 Posts
Some dude in the UK got his hair caught in one of those and was featured on one of those amazing survival shows. Now's the time to cut off that mantail if you have one.

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
LOL, :wave:

I spent the time off for the holidays working on some paying projects as well as working on my garage (which is slowing becoming a small shop) :) The Lathe is just now about done and already in use. I also got my small 6x24 benchtop mill back together, mounted and operational which will be very convenient for small mill projects (Bridgeport at my brother's shop for the bigger stuff). Also ordered a bunch of tooling for both machines :eek:

Good stuff to come. :beer:

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
LOL, :wave:

I spent the time off for the holidays working on some paying projects as well as working on my garage (which is slowing becoming a small shop) :) The Lathe is just now about done and already in use. I also got my small 6x24 benchtop mill back together, mounted and operational which will be very convenient for small mill projects (Bridgeport at my brother's shop for the bigger stuff). Also ordered a bunch of tooling for both machines :eek:

Good stuff to come. :beer:

:thumbup: Nice score on the lathe!

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 · (Edited)
Pics of the almost done (but currently operational) lathe. I also fabbed up a Chip guard. Just need to make a spur gear to put the whole apron assy back together).

..and my little benchtop mill I got back together. Bridgeport at my brother's shop for the big stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
wow this is a lot of stuff to go through in one sitting. luckily i only like to read the important stuff. awesome build but dont you think its time for it to be over..... 2020 is 7 years from now! what else do you need to finish? i'll come help if you need me to.

601 - 620 of 697 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.