VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Project Build: sc2020

315K views 706 replies 130 participants last post by  perickomx 
#1 · (Edited)
Assembly has finally begun.
Since my Interior Project is now complete -> Interior Swap and Renew Complete + extras (VERY VERY Pic..., I finally had some time to start assembly of my Hybrid 2L-20v G60.
Planning, parts gathering, prototyping and machine work has been going on for about the last 6 months, but Assembly finally started yesterday. And progress has been great with no snags thus far.
Here is the plan for those who don't frequent the G60 Forum:
  • 2L ABA Bored to 83mm with Custom JE Forged Pistons (9.25:1)
  • ABA OBDI block with Forged Internals, ARP hardware, Resized and Shot peened rods
  • AEB 20v Head (Large Port)
  • Custom Modified SuperSprint SS Mk2 16v Header re-Flanged for 20V
  • Light PnP and gasket matching
  • Stage IV G60
    , Pulley size TBD to match higer revs
  • MsnS-e
  • FMIC Precision Core under Dietrich RS
  • Euro AGU Intake
  • some other stuff
1.) Before I begin, let's get some semantics out of the way. This project is not about "the biggest numbers on the tex" so please don't talk about Big Turbos "BTs" here.
2.) If you have any basic questions on 20v Hybrids, please visit this thread -> 20V Hybrid - How To. Al ot of details on my research and specifics are in there.
3.) Although I am not the first 2020 by far, my setup will definitely be unique and will be full trim with A/C.
3.) pic centric thread as usual.

DisAssembly of donors

Since no machine shop around here had a Torque plate to bore my block with, I decided to make my own

Painted Block

Pinning the Crank Pulley

ABA Intermediate Shaft Modification for distributer using AWP 52T Cam Gear (initially)

Modified by sdezego at 6:24 PM 1-2-2007

See less See more
#699 ·
Sadly not yet and the post above is still accurate. Still driving. Swapped rear to 5 lug, Coil Overs, etc in prep, but need to have time to do the actual drive train swap. Close to finishing wiring. Was hoping over the holidays this year, but I need to get my CNC plasma table online and operational...

Too many customer projects (02m Mounts, 02Q and now DSG), other vehicles maintenance, house projects, work and life events taking priority.

2 months after post above, our company was acquired, so new role new position and a lot responsibility.

I'll post some update pics though.. Longest project ever :)

#705 ·
Lots of updates needed for this and the other "Kid's Corrado" thread.

There were many "Rolls" and many Diversions :) The biggest one being that shortly after I made the 02m Mounts in this thread, it spun into a side gig and and enormous amount of time, money and energy went there that took precedence. That, life projects, LOTS of customer projects and the like :) All incomes went into building my machine shop in my garage :)

The Lathe Project definitely predates 2018 tho. need to back up pages when I first got it.

Here is the thread for Corrado #2, but it went in a hold state since the kid got the wife's CC and was no longer interested in building a car. That has gone full circle recently and we started work again. I have pics I will post of the VR6 DSG mocked up with my latest mounts :)

The Time has come...

#195 · (Edited)
Re: (sdezego)

This progress update will not be all that exciting, but it is progress for issues that needed to be resolved.
1.) I was not happy with the stock barb connections on the fuel rail
2.) The AEB and Euro AGU both came with the early garden variety Bosch EV1 Injectors. To upgrade to the later (much better) Bosch EV6, you would need to either get a custom rail made, manifold or do what I did.

The pics tell the story.
First I cut the barbs off of the rails.

Then I inserted the rear compression fitting along with the brass ferrell onto the pipe. I flared the end of the pipe so that the fittings could NEVER come apart.

I then cleaned and used Red Loctite on the pipe and Ferrell for piece of mind.

...Injectors mods to the manifold mentioned above
The only thing to note is that the rail bosses, must be carefully drilled deeper and then tapped so that a decent length bolt can still be used. I went ~ the distance that was cut off (12.75mm or .5") w/o any issue.

Euro AGU big port mani next to the AWP.

...continued in next post...

#485 · (Edited)
Took a break on the intercooler briefly since it requires spending a lot of money :laugh: I pretty much have it all mapped out though and it will be slick.

I really hate rebuilding axles and packing CV joints, so glad they are done and on! Redline CV2

About 1/2" clearance between the CV joint and the trans cup now.

...kind of blurry, but oh well.

#486 ·
Took a break on the intercooler briefly since it requires spending a lot of money :laugh: I pretty much have it all mapped out though and it will be slick.
I'll build you one for twenty bukks :laugh:

I really hate rebuilding axles and packing CV joints, so glad they are done and on! Redline CV2
That job is the absolute pitts :banghead: Redline huh, nice :D

...kind of blurry, but oh well.

Time foir a better camera :p

#540 · (Edited)
Custom FMIC Fitment

Let me state first, that if you are considering using the IC as I am below, know that I bought it with only rough dims and the intention that it was only going to need slight modifications to work (yea right)...

So, in case you were asleep or just forgot from a few pages ago, I am going with a custom FMIC and using the stock bumper, stock Lower bumper Grill and unmodified Rebar. I looked at making once from scratch using a BELL or Garret Core, and in hind sight, it would have been easier in the long run (as would have AWIC)..

So here is the Plan:

• Using Stock G60 Rad becuase it is bigger
  • MkIV Condenser (for reasons mentioned on prev pages)
  • VR Rad support modified (very important as you will see)
  • re-fabricated lower Rad support (Drivers Side where it flares outward)
  • a highly Modified big ass FMIC
  • unmodified bumper Rebar

NOTE, the info to follow is only for the above Configuration! VR Guys, don't try to get any ideas as you will not have the clearance if you have A/C.

Here are the Basic Constraints for this config as shown below in my highly technical drawing.

Notice there is a bit more room than one would expect between the Condenser and the Rad support when using the VR support on a G60. This is the reason I needed to paint my spare G60 one to swap on my car so I can finish the mockup on my build.

Shown Actual VR Support on G60 w/ A/C. (note: see why I needed to repaint my Ft Bumper and Rad support? :) )

#541 · (Edited)
...as compared to the same setup with the G60 upper Rad support.

Notice the Rad support come very close to the Condenser all the way across? Unlike the VR support on the G60 which has a lot of clearance all the way across (including the Center Down Strut Support which is much narrower on the VR).

This is all due to the fact that the VR Rad and Cond are angled a LOT more than the G60 to clear the motor and is much closer to the Grill.

also, FWIW note that someone did a piss poor job adding slots to accommodate the VR grill on the G60. They also had it recessed so the Grill sat flush with the G60 headlights where as if you have the universal VR support like I do (show in prev post) there are accommodations for both grills. However, when using the VR grill slots on the G60, the headlights will appear sunken and not even with the grill. Thus why I switched to VR Lenses and Bezels years back.

#666 · (Edited)
I searched for the Right Oil Cooler because I wanted to mount it where the Stock G60 intercooler was with the cooling duct in place, etc. Settled on this Mocal one from BAT. Need to get some low profile ANs as well.

Since my IC take up the whole front of the car, I could not use the stock Power Steering Cooler Pipe. I used some 1/2 Copper to make up a Home Depot Motorsports PS Cooler :laugh: I actually bought a DeRale PS Cooler with ANs, but was not pleased with inside Diam. This is far better solution IMO. This is the Low Press side, so it's easy to get creative.

Need to make or Extend the Duct. No Biggie. Stock Brake Duct also fits in the mix.

#700 ·
Congrats on having your hobby, side project, investment, start up recent acquisition getting some nice traction. Good timing so you can swap the tools for a pencil more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sdezego
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (sdezego)

After Checking the IM Shaft bearings, I realized that the machine shop honed them to big... I shoudl have just done them myself to begin with.

Checking the Crank Shaft Axial Play

Plastigage'ing the Mains. I always check..

Modified by sdezego at 6:28 PM 1-2-2007

#7 ·

Let me be the first to tell you that even though there r a good number of 2020's out there, your car is gonna stand out from the crowd, newer style w/hvac swap is awesome, so is the interior renewal.
but 20vG60, i cant wait to here a sound clip
keep it up man http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
I am going to Run Dizzy Initially, but will then go to either Coil pack using the ABA 60-2 took trigger or may even go COP.

Why go through the extra work to fit the dizzy if your using the MSnSe, it's a thing of simplcity to run a missing tooth setup from the get go.