VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have wanted to build my own version of a camper trailer or a tear drop style trailer for a long time. Several ideas ran through my head over the years on how to do it and what I wanted to use to build it. Came down to using a Mk2 car/body itself. I have seen several versions of trailers in photos and one or two in person, but never one made into a camping trailer. I recently purchased a mk2 trailer hitch and then decided it was time.. :thumbup:

Going to use ideas/concepts from the following photos:

I am going to be searching RV and marine junkyards as well as cheap pop up trailers on Craigslist locally. I am going to basically use the firewall back on a Mk2 2door Golf. I am going to start off by removing the front end, fenders, hood, motor, transmission, sub frames/cross members. I will be using the rear beam for the wheels as well as the support for the trailer arm on the trailer. More plans will have to be done as time goes on, but I want to get down to the basic shape and get the weight down as space is limited around my house.

Anyone have anymore photos, ideas or suggestions? I will have more photos up tonight as I began to tear into the project. :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Awesome idea! I also wanted to do a mk2 trailer using the firewall back as the trailer then making a bbq out of the front. Had a shell sitting around forever and eventually just scrapped it. Hopefully your motivation level is above mine. Looking forward to see how it comes out.:beer:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I was also thinking about doing the EXACT same thing!! Only using a 4 door model instead. What kind of trailer base are you thinking of getting? I don't even know how to start the design of it. Would you buy a trailer and then weld the base of the skeleton (sans rear trailer axle) to the rear axle of the Golf?

Would you be buying something like this?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/4901158447.html

Depending on when I get my OEM tow hitch in from Germany, we may be working on the same project at the same time :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it is going to be a fun project, took on a side project for my aunt and her new mk2 jetta. So this is on hold for a bit. :thumbup:

I was also thinking about doing the EXACT same thing!! Only using a 4 door model instead. What kind of trailer base are you thinking of getting? I don't even know how to start the design of it. Would you buy a trailer and then weld the base of the skeleton (sans rear trailer axle) to the rear axle of the Golf?

Would you be buying something like this?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/4901158447.html

Depending on when I get my OEM tow hitch in from Germany, we may be working on the same project at the same time :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
I am going to switch over to a 4 door shell. I am planning on using the rear beam mounts and re-enforce a 'y' section off a trailer. More than likely will cut out on the exhaust tunnel as well to lower the floor, but before that, probably will have some type of tube "frame" for structure and stiffness. I have a mk2 trailer hitch already so that is what is motivating me. :)

Since I am "unemployed" I have to make money selling parts from my collection and work on mk2s on the side. Once I find a 4 door Golf, its game time. Meanwhile, I am running several ideas in my head.

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well due to availability and my ideas, I am going back to a 2 door shell. :laugh::banghead:

It is now at my house and time to get to work. Need to strip the car and tote up all the stuff I am saving for later and sell the rest to pay for the trailer. :thumbup:

Bad photo, but here is the shell:

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after swapping off the coil overs, wheels, head lights and banana lights onto my friend's car, I started to dig into the trailer a bit. Need to throw stock suspension on it to roll it out and gut it. But its finally underway! :D

Boring photos, but mostly doing for documenting purposes. :beer:

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have a thread going on a local forum, decided to copy/paste up my explanation here to give you more of an idea:

The bed will consist of the entire cabin. I am using the hatch to the firewall. I will be making the floor level to accommodate more head room.

I am basing my design off a tear drop style trailer. Ideas like below:

Cabin will be mostly sleeping area, with cabinets for storage/clothes/etc. The hatch will provide a "cooking area"/fresh water supply/more storage similar to the tear drop trailer above.

As far as window coverings, I will be adapting a lot of marine style stuff as I grew up on boats. I will use marine canvas for privacy/protection of glass while driving/darkening like below:

I am going to get measurements and do some possible drawings once I get the shell cleared out and use a template like this:

·
Registered
887 Posts
I want to build a tear trop in the worst way to pull behind my golf. The only thing is I need it to be able accomodate a small family. I like the idea of pop outs/ fold outs. I would do what your doing but i figure the shell would be too heavy compared to an aluminum framed tear drop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts