VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a 84 deisel. gonna convert to 2L 16v or plain 1.8L 8v. couple of questions:
do mkii bumpers and fenders fit on mki? also will the deisel 4spd mate with either motor? i heard the clutch is different.

· Registered
19,087 Posts
Re: project deisel (1.8 nut)

no more killing diesels!!!!!!!!!!!! i've seen like 4 threads in here and mk2 forum on this in the last week!!!!
your life WILL be easier if you do the conversion to a gas model as well, beleive me.
yes the tranny will mate, however the 16v pressure plate is different, make sure you use a 16v clutch with it.
no, the MK2 things will not go on.

· Registered
3,965 Posts
Re: project deisel (The_Hamster)

I've seen mk2 big bumpers cut to fit Rabbit''s I think there is a company in Europe that makes pre fit ones.
The Diesel guys are getting awful hostile lately
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif It's makes it fun.
Your Volvo is tight,by the way http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: project deisel (Vdub16v)

yeah gas for sure! i live in ontario canada yesterday it was -26 so a deisel won't cut it, specially one thats busted. I think i'll stick with a 1.8 w/cam gear, header back exhaust, and a cabby kit for style. Oh yeah, to convert to the euro style 4 light grille do i really need to cut the whole front support out?

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Re: project deisel (84VeeDubRabbit)

well i was in the same situation as you with my '84 jetta diesel i was going to convert it to a 16v gasser but i fell in love with my diesel so i kept it but i'm swaping it to an ALH tdi.
if you need to find some 16V engines i have 2 16V's available for sale and i'm in Ontario as well...
good luck with the project http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
19,087 Posts

a diesel will cut it at -26, seen it cut it at -35. proper timing, proper oil, and good spraying injectors that are not breaking early, with of course good working glow plugs, you should not have a problem, a block heater helps of course as well!
this is all assuming you have good compression.

· Registered
1,474 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 84VeeDubRabbit »
must suck bein the most gutless car on the road

Oh, insults! ~That's mature!~
Welcome to the Vortex. As you may have already guessed, there is a sub-culture of members here who love diesel-engined VW's, and don't appreciate seeing someone gratutiously sodomize them by installing an engine which consumes stinking, evil, terrorist-supporting gasoline, probably for the purposes of avoiding vehicle pollution inspections.
There are few enough of these cars these days which are in good enough condition to make worthwhile project cars, so when you dump the gas engine in, you've just "killed" yet another example of the VW craft that some of us are trying to preserve.
There are many more gasoline-engined cars for you to put your high performance race car motor in, leave our diesels alone. Give or sell your diesel car to someone who will take care of it and appreciate it for what it is without trying to make it something it was never intended to be.
I've maintained all along that if your diesel VW is "gutless", then you need to have a look at it and repair what's wrong. Even the N/A diesel 1.5l engine can scoot if tuned properly, and the 1.6TD can flat out fly in a light chassis like the Rabbit.
But then, I'm trying to make sense to someone who thinks nothing of burning a few thousand miles off their rear tires for a photo-op, so how much comprehension can I expect?

· Registered
231 Posts

"Hutless car on the road" getting 35-40mpg depending on the setup... The diesel's werent designed to be some hotrod, they were intended to make good fuel economical cars. I personally am looking for a diesel caddy so i can use it for what its built for, a pickup. I dont see why people buy cars and try to do things to make them not what they were intended to be. Like honda civic race cars or something...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.