VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Pull the block and get it honed. Jagaloon.
I would love to, just cant at the moment .. maybe later when i start making some actual money I will .. Just got the old rings off , gonna clean up the pistons , try to get as much carbon off as possible . thanks for support , its coming along well so far :thumbup:

dual valve springs and tt276* coming asap also

And I cant say just yet when im doing it , possibly sunday .. I ll text you and let you know

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Honing is very cheap. You'll need crank bearings and crank bolts though.
yeah, im sure it is cheap but a set of pistons and rods along with apr rod bolts would be close to 1,600 to 1,800 bucks..

i got new rod bearings

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Horrible horrible HORRIBLE news today :thumbdown: So its friday and I get to work , seems pretty busy (thursday I removed the rings) and later on in the afternoon it slows down.. So, why not clean the grooves and put the new rings on, and clean as much carbon off as possible for now until I get home. Grab a stool, sit next to my box and I begin.. Not to mention i havent really opened up the boxes at all to really look closely at everything.

Nice and clean grooves for the new rings. Check

Piston 1, Check ! Dosent look to bad, cleaning more of the carbon off at home

Okay, on to the second piston. Wait a second :mad: A differant set of rings, differant style!!!!!!!!

3 out of the 4 in the box were a differant material, the fourth one was crome of color and had a two piece oil ring (which is what came off the factory pistons) The rings arent differant sizes except why put it together when I want it done RIGHT! plus the oil ring on the three where differant.

Okay okay okay, people make mistakes... now lets look at the rod bearings, theres NO way they can be the wrong size.

Maybe this will explain why the rod bearings wont work either.

All in all, i was very pissed off leaving work today... I was going to get it all put together this weekend but now I cant... have to ship it out and then wait for it to come to me . Wish me luck :banghead:

· Registered
459 Posts
Yes you are dead in the water. I like the three piece oil ring I think it does a better job , so call them and work it out. Now for the barrings check the back side it should have STD or .010 if neither write down what ever is on the back and call them to make sure you have what you asked for.
What ever you do plastic-gage the rod's.
To keep the rust down CRC makes ENGINE-STORE it's a spray and it will protect your [email protected]#t until you get it together.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes you are dead in the water. I like the three piece oil ring I think it does a better job , so call them and work it out. Now for the barrings check the back side it should have STD or .010 if neither write down what ever is on the back and call them to make sure you have what you asked for.
What ever you do plastic-gage the rod's.
To keep the rust down CRC makes ENGINE-STORE it's a spray and it will protect your [email protected]#t until you get it together.
and also, they say STD on the back side of them but they arent .. unless im a dumbass , but i tried the fitment on the piston and it seems to tight and to the point where oil wont even be able to build a film between the bearing and the rod.

· Registered
566 Posts
and also, they say STD on the back side of them but they arent .. unless im a dumbass , but i tried the fitment on the piston and it seems to tight and to the point where oil wont even be able to build a film between the bearing and the rod.
Im pretty sure mine looked like that, for some reason I think it is so they sorta pop into place. If you think about it the stock ones you took out could have been like that before they were installed years ago also, but they have been in place for so long they have lost the tiny bit of elasticity that you see in the new ones. Maybe im way off track here, but thats just how I see it:)

Only way to know forsure is a plastigauge I guess

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
nice dude.. 2.0 ready for boost.. good work keep it up
thanks buddy, Easy motor to tear down .. if i ever decide to do that low compression pistons is what ill be looking at with new rods internals wise so im not stressing to hard about it for now. Dont wanna throw a turbo on this setup just yet, kinda disappointed i cant bore it out any due to my $$ issues and school.. We shall see how everything comes along, if i ever change my mind , like i said It can be torn down in no time so maybe bigger plans in the future :D

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update: called mjm autohaus and sent them an email with pics of the mistake, she forwarded the messege onto the warehouse manager so now I'm just waiting on a phone call from him. It'll be some time before I send out the old ones and get the right ones in mail.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Decided to attempt at my first honing experience, I tried so hard to get the crosshatch marks as good as i possibly could, hopefully I did alright causing no issues when I put it back together. It looked like i was fu**ing my fender because I was moving up and down so fast :laugh:

Advice is needed !!!!!!!!

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.