VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Things just aren't meant to be... I was looking at the pistons tonight just randomly and when I was re ringing I accidentally dropped one, not to high and I didn't see any damage so I considered myself lucky.. Well tonight I look and I see a tiny crack on the skirt and across the top of the pins snap ring.. This completely sucks, where the hell am I suppose to get 1 Aba piston, i can't afford a new set , project is put on MAJOR hold :( was shooting for the waterfest mark..

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Update: picked up a new motor for much cheaper then a set of pistons from a local guy.. It's a 2.0 out of a 1993 passat, obd2 block.. It looks in MUCH cleaner shape then the one in my car now. Pictures will be coming as soon as I get onto a comp.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
knocked the pistons out of the new 2.0 today ... they look in GREAT shape. not much skirt wear, and rod bearings arent beat up to bad like the old pistons I have. I will be reringing ALL of these pistons and putting all 4 of them in instead of just swapping the cracked one. Here are a few shots.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Sorry sorry! Got the new rings on the new pistons... There's a light stamp with the number 84,624 on each piston head. Anybody have a clue what this could be? The guy I bought the block from picked it up from a junk yard with the head, he just pulled the head and handed me over the rest. Pics coming soon. Getting it put together HOPEFULLY tommorow.

· Registered
1,970 Posts
Sorry sorry! Got the new rings on the new pistons... There's a light stamp with the number 84,624 on each piston head. Anybody have a clue what this could be? The guy I bought the block from picked it up from a junk yard with the head, he just pulled the head and handed me over the rest. Pics coming soon. Getting it put together HOPEFULLY tommorow.
So what's next after that holmes?

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
this build has been everything but fun for me .. first the piston issue now i go to install my pistons with the new rings and everything is going perfect until cylinder three... i go to knock them down and i chip my compression ring ( middle ring ) .. I dont want to spend over 100 dollars for just one damn ring so now i have to look around for one..

pictures might not be to great but here is a general view ..

· Registered
1,970 Posts
this build has been everything but fun for me .. first the piston issue now i go to install my pistons with the new rings and everything is going perfect until cylinder three... i go to knock them down and i chip my compression ring ( middle ring ) .. I dont want to spend over 100 dollars for just one damn ring so now i have to look around for one..

pictures might not be to great but here is a general view ..

Looks like some of my bad luck wore of on you haha

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.