VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 2 Quantum Station Wagons, 1 is a 1984 Turbo Diesel that was involved in a hit & run in the rear end, and the unibody is twisted so it's going to the scrapyard, the other is a 1983 that was gas originally and had a diesel engine, trans and sub frame swapped in from a 1983 Audi 4000. The 1983 conversion went of the rails after the person doing it lost the keys & hacked up the electrical system instead of calling a lock smith. My plans are to swap the turbo diesel & trans over to the good body along with the ignition lock/switch & the parts of wiring harnesses. that got hacked up.

Let the fun begin

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The owner was told it was running but the turnsignals needed work.

OK so here's the first pictures to show what a Sh-t Show FranjnkenWagen was when I got it. According to the title it's a 84 Wulfsburg that had a 5 cylinder engine.

This really doesn't show the full extent of Boy Blunders wiring carnage, but look at the coolant hose block off.

The "ground wire there is into plastic.

Yes he pretty well destroyed the right hand dash insert / bezel

This was his pickup for the fuel.

Inside of the fuel tank with old Gasoline/alcohol in it.

This was B oy Blunders Dash light

Rather than drop the steering cluster & have a locksmith cut a key for it Boy Blunder took a Hammer Chisel & Drill to the lock mechanism & destroyed the ignition switch so he put in some toggle Switches

The fab on the left is the one out of the Turbo Diesel Quantum Wagon, not sure what the one on the right is but it's what Bow Blunder had put in.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This shows the 2 Tabs he "welded" on to hold the radiator in, nothing on the bottom

Another shot of the engine bay before I did anything notice the 2 wires in the upper left, one goes to the glow plugs, the other to a cheap push button switch in the cab with no fuse to the positive he ran then in through the front passenger door.

After I put the engine harness I pulled from the Turbo Quantum in & "buzzed it our to verify it worked. While doing this I fount one of ground clusters above the fuse block wasn't screwed down all the way from the factory. The replacement wouldn't tighten up either until I rethreaded its mounting hole.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up 2 Quantum Station Wagons, 1 is a 1984 Turbo Diesel that was involved in a hit & run in the rear end, and the unibody is twisted so it's going to the scrapyard, the other is a 1983 that was gas originally and had a diesel engine, trans and sub frame swapped in from a 1983 Audi 4000. The 1983 conversion went of the rails after the person doing it lost the keys & hacked up the electrical system instead of calling a lock smith. My plans are to swap the turbo diesel & trans over to the good body along with the ignition lock/switch & the parts of wiring harnesses. that got hacked up.

Let the fun begin
I should have started my posts with this picture The day after I signed the shop lease and 2 days after I bought the cars we had the forest fires start east of Salem, OR.

It was a month before I could rent a truck & tow dolly because all of the people who had to evacuate had rented them

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's some shots of the engine bay after I got the engine in & wiring hooked up & cleaned up

You'll notice I redid the glow plug circuit I put a relay in so it's like what I have on my 82 Rabbit the power goes from the battery to the glow pug fuse then to the relay.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First couple of days in June I thought it was just the "Normal start to Allergy season in the middle Willamette Valley. Wrong, what felt like mild sinus congestion turned out to be 3rd Nerve palsy in my right eye. Which has made for almost no work done while trying to sort out the eye problems. I'm finally getting some use of my right eye including some"Stereo" vision back,I was able to put in a few minutes here & there when the vision cooperatedgetting the stereo wired up and the coolant level indicator sorted out. Yesterday I made a major to me milestone of getting the right hand instrument panel / bezel / surround in. I wasn't able to get the HVAC conrols screwed down due to the vision problem along with the shop getting too warm. One of the things I need to do is trim the surround for the HVAC filler plate as the old & new style plates have slightly different mounting tabs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the heater control mounted in the right hand bezel, there's a clip circled in orange in the first picture that fits on the tab circled in red in the second picture. Before I mounted the heater controls I used some adhesive foil duct repair tape to attach the air duct/snorkel to the vent in the center of the dash. you can kind of see the tape in a couple of the pictures. Also mos of the screws used in the dash go through a flanged bushing. Of course F.I.A.T.. lost all of them in both of the cars he worked on. I was luck & found the ones I have in a Quantum that showed up in Pick and Pull last spring. you can see what they look like in the last picture of this post.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Cable
Automotive lighting Wood Gas Window Heat
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wood Bumper
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Oh yes remember to cut the mounting tab slots in the Bezel before you mount the controls in the bezel. Otherwise it's a little bit of a pain to cut them, yes I forgot to do that.
Next thing is to mount the instrument cluster& the left hand bezel. Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car
Insect Wood Automotive exterior Twig Vehicle door

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now for an interesting question that my Bentleys doesn't answer, on the 84 & later Quantum Wagons with the electric sun roof where is the sun roof relay located?
Fount it under the cover by the motor. F.I.A.T. filled on the seam around the sunroof on the top with bondo, I'm almost afraid to try opening the sunroof after I get all of the Bondo out.

On a different note here's the latest pictures

Next step is to mount Power steering pump, put on all of the V belts front motor mount , front bumper & drive it.

BTW it was originally a Wolfsburg but F.I.A.T. removed all of the electric motors & circuitry for the windows. I found 1 of the ground clusters by the fuse block was never tightened down & would just spin. I replaced both ground clusters with new ones from Bus Depot.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well 2 steps forward 1 1/2 step back. I found the radiator had a slow leak by the lower hose fitting, I ordered the radiator most places say fits * it's too short. The Nissens lists 2 part numbers, 652611 which is the one I bought & 651911 which is the one I need and most places don't show it. grr

·
Registered
81 Posts
well 2 steps forward 1 1/2 step back. I found the radiator had a slow leak by the lower hose fitting, I ordered the radiator most places say fits * it's too short. The Nissens lists 2 part numbers, 652611 which is the one I bought & 651911 which is the one I need and most places don't show it. grr

I just bought a radiator from Hans auto parts (the harbor freight of VW parts). Perfect fit. I'll let you know in a week if it blows up/springs a leak.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts