VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Re: (obd2vr6)

Looks awesome. I envy the fact that your car is synchro. haha. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'm surprised that the seam-welding your control arms is stupid and dangerous clan hasn't busted in here. haha. oh wait, i think they only hang out in the mk3 forum.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Project-Gang Green- Gt35R VR Syncro GTI (TBT-Syncro)

i remember that issue of vw power.. i read it a million times over. I always wonder about old feature cars from magazines and where they end up..
that issue had some big names in it at the time- ron, les, and what was the name of the guy who built the rabbit, wasn't it scott boutros or something like that?
anyway, glad to see that car still exists and is in good hands, i remember being amazed when i saw it.. the article made it sound like "-well, ron was moping around the shop all bored, and built an a2 vr6 syncro while he was waiting for his kraft dinner to cook-"

·
Banned
1,080 Posts
Re: Project-Gang Green- Gt35R VR Syncro GTI (unmotivated)

Quote, originally posted by unmotivated »
i remember that issue of vw power.. i read it a million times over. I always wonder about old feature cars from magazines and where they end up..
that issue had some big names in it at the time- ron, les, and what was the name of the guy who built the rabbit, wasn't it scott boutros or something like that?
anyway, glad to see that car still exists and is in good hands, i remember being amazed when i saw it.. the article made it sound like "-well, ron was moping around the shop all bored, and built an a2 vr6 syncro while he was waiting for his kraft dinner to cook-"

You are correct of the name of the owner of the Blue G60 rabbit, what was never told in the write up of that car, it to was built at eurotech racing, Scott was one of my tech's at the time.
We supplied he with the shell and all of the parts, I also spent many a night and Sunday finishing this Rabbit.
The Red G60 GTI was sold to a person in the Bahama's, guys name is Jeremy Caferty? I have no clue what happened to it after that point.
The Red GTI is one of the car's I truely wish I would have never sold.
Les

·
Registered
937 Posts
Re: Project-Gang Green- Gt35R VR Syncro GTI (eurotechracing)

This car is effin' sweet. Thats cool it has been around for so long. I remember watching the video of it on the dyno with the Kinetic turbo kit. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Re: Project-Gang Green- Gt35R VR Syncro GTI (Montana Tyler)

Subscribed!
The way a Mk2 should be...awd... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Re: (Golfatron3)

time for an update. (actually long overdue)
The first item to be taken care of, was the inproperly built frame rail. The original 'repair' was removed, it was then welded properly, primed, and painted (using pre-mixed spray bombs).

The drivers side had it's own issue, which was rust under the battery tray.

This was cleaned up, POR15'd, and of course painted.

The next piece of the puzzle, is the transmission. I had purchased a spare 02c, for this build. It was cleaned up and a VR bellhousing was installed. The casing was then powdercoated. As far as internal changes. The stock differential was replaced with a Peloquin (from the scirocco.org), and the stock 3.9 R&P was replaced with a taller 3.6

and now with sexy powdercoating (done by Photon in PoCo)

Because this is of course going to be a turbo motor, the oil pan needed to have an oil drain fitting installed.

One of the goals for my car, was to keep it as sleeper as possible. The plan is to run a large Front Mount, however i did not want to cut up the front bumper. So in order to make this happen, we had to make changes to the stock radiator. I removed the VR6 corrado radiator that was in my car, and used a MK3 unit. This was then narrowed, and had its mounts changed. This allowed us to run it square to the car, and move it back a bit in the engine bay (to allow for more room for the intercooler).

and now on to the motor. Unfortunately i dont have pics of several items from this stage, but they're installed- trust me.

The motor itself was completely rebuild, with everything being replaced or upgraded. There are no old seals or bearings in the motor. The block itself, and the majority of the brackets were powdercoated satin black.
Here is the block, with the MMP 8.5:1 headspacer, as well as the billet crackpipe.

The headspacer is sealed with a mk4 head gasket, and permatex copper spray (although its not shown in the pic).

Then of course the head was installed. I decided to use ARP headstuds, even though the OEM fasteners would have been fine. The head was completely rebuild, and the valves were lapped in, in order to ensure a quality fit. One of the items that you cant see, is the Pauter rods that are being used.

The next item to be installed, were the cams. Because i'll be running a short runner intake and a turbo, i wanted cams designed specifically for this. I ended up purchasing the only cams on the market designed for this type of setup, which are the FOFFA/DRC cams. I went with the stage 1 version, as i did not plan to rev the motor beyond 7000RPM.

The valve cover in these shots is the plastic mk4 version, and was only used for assembly. You can also see my old transmission on the motor in these shots.

Obviously a stock clutch wouldnt be suitable for the horsepower and load i'd be putting down, so an upgraded clutch would be needed. I went with a lightened flywheel (MMP), and a Competition stage 4 clutch (from Kinetic).

That's it for this update. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. The next post will be the turbo and turbo system.

Scott

·
Registered
88 Posts
that car is very local to me, lived only a few blocks away, i used to ride by it on my bike when i was like 15, long before i knew what a VR6 was, rallye lights were and syncro meant. but still stared at it anyway, very nice car, definetely one of the reasons i got into dubs, previous owner used to park it on the street!

Modified by dannyrds at 8:00 PM 3-5-2008

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Re: (PhilR)

Wow. Please just keep us posted whenever you can. Sick build http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

41 - 60 of 335 Posts