VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I've recently started work on a car I've had my eye on for a long time. 10 years infact. A mate of mine has had this car in a garage for around 6 years.

In that time we've discussed on and off about me buying it from him but nothing ever came of it.
Finally I went round to his place and dropped and envelope with some cash in it and it was mine.

Here are some pics of the day weekend I went to fetch her:

Fetched her the next morning:

I got a full set of 14' OEM rims and a full set of 15' MIM rims with the car:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
looks like it will clean up nicely :beer:

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
e-brake delete

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Cool project. I brought back a bottle of Kirschwasser when I was in Germany in '95 that I left it at my folks' house when I moved out. There's still a few shots left. That stuff is foul, but it brings back fun memories.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since bringing her home I've done a major service on the motor (cam belt, tensioner, waterpump, waterpump pulley, alternator belt, oil, filters and plugs). I've also replaced the radiator, temp. sender and thermostat.

The car has alot of issues at the moment, tail lights don't work, brakes don't work, hand brake is gone, hand brake cables gone, cluster doesn't work, all the door and tailgate rubbers are missing, existing window rubbers are shot. Then there's the body and spray job.

The car started out life as a white GT. It's seen been metallic green, metallic blue, a dark red and the current color. It looks like it was sprayed outside, in a dusty area while standing in a crosswind. The prep work was horrible and they scratched most of the glass while roughing up the body to spray it. Gotta get the glass polished.

Lotsa work to do.

I've been buying up spares like crazy these last few months.

Oldschool parts are rare in South Africa, so I've been buying up parts in double/triple as I find them, Once I have everything I need I'll keep the best kit for the car and store the rest.

I've pulled the interior and carpet out of the car, also took the bumpers off.

Test fitted one of the old grilles:

Pulled the interior to check for any major rust:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I've been after this car for so long that it almost breaks my heart to pull it apart. Car needs the attention though, and I plan to keep it indefinitely so it'll be worth it to do the work properly.

This weekend I am planning to take a heat gun and a scraper to the bitumen sound deadener once I've pulled the remaining bits of foam off the floor. Once it's off the floor I'll give it a rub down with some bug & tar remover then a wipe down with meths.

Will primer the floor with some 2k primer and then start on the roof lining. Gonna try to as much of the work myself before it goes for paint.

Gonna respray the car Mars Red.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
How can I get one of those valve covers? Is that a common part in SA?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Nice two door, I don't think many people realise that the 2 door golfs are pretty rare in SA. Makes me miss mine. What are your plans for the motor? ABF?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice two door, I don't think many people realise that the 2 door golfs are pretty rare in SA. Makes me miss mine. What are your plans for the motor? ABF?
Yeah, they are hard to come by in good condition. Most of then end up wrapped around tree's when people upgrade the motors and not the brakes :screwy:

Motor wise, it's currently running and 1800 carb (EV engine code, short block IIRC). Part of me wants to bin it and drop in either a 2E Long Block, a 2L 16 ABF or a 1.8T.

The trend here about 15 years ago was to strip off all the oldschool kit (bumpers, fenders, valences and grilles) and put the newer Citi stuff on. Which is why the car looks the way it does now.

The new trend is to take these poor cars and go back to the original oldschool look. Some guys are even converting Citi's to look oldschool. Which can look wierd seeing as the last of the Citi's had that Skoda Fabia dashboard installed.

I've been buying the Performance VW and UltraVW magazines for inspiration, (the local scene doesn't really have as many options or original idea's for the cars) I am kind of liking the idea of a G60 setup. Not many people do that here, I can think of only 2 actually. Both built by the same guy.

For now I just want to get the body stripped down, prepped and into the paint shop. I'd like to start the rebuild part of this project knowing the body is straight and perfect.

I would like to go for the original GT look again. I've very recently got my hands on an original Kamei rubber boot spoiler, with the brackets and original screws. Owner took it off one of his cars years, wrapped it in a towel and stuck it in his garage cupboard, he was looking for some other bits he sold me when I found it. Had no clue what it was worth. Still soft.

He also has an original 3 piece Zender spoiler aswell. I am trying to get my hands on that too. I made such a fuss about the Kamei though that now he knows it's worth something - D'oh!

Also found a set of these, practically brand new:

Those will go on last.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool project. I brought back a bottle of Kirschwasser when I was in Germany in '95 that I left it at my folks' house when I moved out. There's still a few shots left. That stuff is foul, but it brings back fun memories.
Hehe, I've never tasted it myself. My grandfather often spoke of it, the name just stuck. :p
Wonder if I can get a bottle in S.A.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Yeah, they are hard to come by in good condition. Most of then end up wrapped around tree's when people upgrade the motors and not the brakes :screwy:

Motor wise, it's currently running and 1800 carb (EV engine code, short block IIRC). Part of me wants to bin it and drop in either a 2E Long Block, a 2L 16 ABF or a 1.8T.

The trend here about 15 years ago was to strip off all the oldschool kit (bumpers, fenders, valences and grilles) and put the newer Citi stuff on. Which is why the car looks the way it does now.

The new trend is to take these poor cars and go back to the original oldschool look. Some guys are even converting Citi's to look oldschool. Which can look wierd seeing as the last of the Citi's had that Skoda Fabia dashboard installed.

I've been buying the Performance VW and UltraVW magazines for inspiration, (the local scene doesn't really have as many options or original idea's for the cars) I am kind of liking the idea of a G60 setup. Not many people do that here, I can think of only 2 actually. Both built by the same guy.

For now I just want to get the body stripped down, prepped and into the paint shop. I'd like to start the rebuild part of this project knowing the body is straight and perfect.

I would like to go for the original GT look again. I've very recently got my hands on an original Kamei rubber boot spoiler, with the brackets and original screws. Owner took it off one of his cars years, wrapped it in a towel and stuck it in his garage cupboard, he was looking for some other bits he sold me when I found it. Had no clue what it was worth. Still soft.

He also has an original 3 piece Zender spoiler aswell. I am trying to get my hands on that too. I made such a fuss about the Kamei though that now he knows it's worth something - D'oh!

Also found a set of these, practically brand new:

Those will go on last.
The 2E is a tough motor and cheap to mod. The 16V parts are so expensive in SA. I miss my old GT and I remember how difficult it was to get original fenders in good condition, the reproduction parts fitted so poorly.

The G60 is always going to be tough in SA because of the parts being very scarce, I had planned to go with a Mini Cooper S Eaton supercharger for my old project but I never got to that stage.

In SA the so many of guys are crazy because they put big power into their Golfs and leave the brakes standard, the suspension is usually only treated to some lowering springs on standard shocks.

What are your plans for the brakes and suspension? I know good stuff is really expensive and difficult to obtain.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Suspension wise I am thinking of going for a set of fully adjustable Koni coil overs. The stuff is expensive but well worth the investment. I've run cars on Eibach springs and shocks before. Want to do something different with this car.

The lower control arm on the car are a being replaced with new OEM ones when i do the CV, drive shafts, steering rack and ball joints. I am going to use poly bushes and mounts, installed at the same time as the Coilies, Steve from Koni SA will get the car when it's at that point.

Brakes, I am going to upgrade to the 256mm vented disc and associated calipers. Rear brakes will stay drums. Used that setup on all of my Golf's in the past. Also want to stick with 15" rims atm. While the car is still running the 1.8 and even the 2E this setup is generally mor than enough.

If I am going ABF or 1.8T though, I'll go for a 280/288mm vented set upfront "VR6" spec as we call it here.

I want to redo the entire braking system, so new brake lines, braided hoses and new brake booster etc.

I've got 2 sets OEM GTi/CTi rear ARB's and one aftermarket one (can't remember the manufacturer atm). The originals need to be sandblasted and powder coated with their clamps, and they'll look fantastic again. The aftermarket one was a higher tension rating that the OEM and is red already, might just use that one and horde the others :p

So now this rear axle I've been given, came off a VW Challenge race car.

They welded in a straight steel crowbar (we call is a Gwala") that stiffens up the rear axle and works in tandem with the rear ARB. It's powder coated already, so will start fitting stub axles and new rear drums etc onto this one to transplant onto the 2 door when it's back from paint.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So found me some rust:

Passenger Footwell:

Rear Passenger Footwell:

Drivers Footwell:

Rear Driverside Footwell:

Wheel well:

Gotta start tackling it this weekend. Gotta get the bitumen out first, thats gonna be fun... :cry:

·
Registered
35,402 Posts
Nice Mk1! :thumbup:

I have some Kirschwasser in my freezer...and some Quetsch, from Luxembourg. :heart:

Love that stuff.

Life is perfect looking at some VW's in the driveway while drinking shots. :beer:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts