VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Wow, I've really neglected these threads. So much has been done since I started pulling the car apart. I'm gonna skip ahead, you've all seen 2 doors being stripped to shell before. Lets start with the final push before dropping her off at the panel beaters.

The work included full sandblasting inside and out. Repairs to the body which included fixing any rust or filler that the sand blasting exposed. Fixing up the floor pan and side sills and then cutting out and replacing the front cradle and rear valence with the new items I've bought below. Brand new OEM replacement panels from VW SA.

I bought some repro fenders which I was dying to fit, had them sprayed Flash Red when I was playing with the idea of going with the color.

Was undecided which way to go with the car for ages now:

With the rainy (and hail) season about to start I decided that it was time to move Kirschwasser out of the back yard and move her to the front.
Pulled my cabrio into the back yard to power the tyre pump and get the wheels ready to move again:

Parked in the double car port next to my Polo at the top:

Jacked the nose up and so I can get access to the bolts inside and at the bottom of the fenders (Dog Photobomb ftw).

Finally found an hour to play with the car this afternoon:

I've been putting this off for a while because I was honestly scared of what I could find under the fenders. Lucky there is barely any surface rust. Gonna give the inner wings some attention with the drill and wire wheels tomorrow, then wipe them down with some meths and rust treat them. Once that is done I'll fit the new fenders.

Old fenders (minus the beading):

And finally, a trial fit, just coz:

I need to take the valence through to my mates place to weld the holes for the modern Citi valence closed. That is literally the only thing that needs to be sorted to go for the correct period look on the car.

Getting very close now. Once these small exterior details are sorted I can pull the glassware, motor, gearbox, dash, wiring, rear axle, fuel tank off and all the engine bay bits to get the car ready for her trip to the panel beater for her major body work and respray.

So obviously its a nose and bum job. Full sandblasting inside and out, repair what we find, prime, rubberize and respray, then she comes back to me in about 3 months and she's back on axle stands again so that the car can go back together again.

I now need to source new beadings, beading clips, grille beadings, various interior trim and accessories, but will focus on the exterior bits and pieces first.
When the car is away I want to send the axle away to be powder coated and also press the poly bushes into the new lower control arms and axle mounts. I need all the glassware polished and cleaned up so that I can get the window rubbers sorted.

Next up the engine and gearbox will get a good clean and get some paint aswell. Oil cooler piping needs to be fitted. Lots of work to do still.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Engine is at a mates place for now, I plan to buy my own engine stand so that I can bring the motor home and strip it for a bit of a clean up. I'd like to paint the block black again and clean up the alternator housing and engine pulley's too. I am gonna hunt around for the cambelt cover in the new year. Tappet cover and sump need a clean up and fresh paint too.

Picked this up the other day too:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I was surprised to get an email with some photo's from the progress so far. The car hasn't gone for sandblasting yet but they have been busy. All the glass is out, the butchered rear valence has been cut out and the new one has been tacked in. There's been a lot of machine sanding done already. I was only expecting then to start next week but it seems they got stuck in already.

Dodgy repair done at some point in it's lifetime:

Lotsa filler, you can see how many times the car has changed color:

As expected, rust around the quarter windows:

Drivers side door looking good:

And finally the rear valence tacked on:

So, now they need my rear stiffener, bumper and tail lights so that they can continue. Now I wasn't expecting them to be this far already so I actually haven't bought the bumpers at all yet :oops:

Gonna give Autostyle a call tomorrow to see if they have the black plastic wrap around bumpers. If they don't have stock I'll need to shop around because they need the stiffener and bumper fitted to align everything. Need to get everything through to him on saturday morning as early as possible.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So here are the updates, when the front valence was due to be welded in, they used Citi Golf fenders to get the wings and valence 100% straight and to match up with the lines of the doors and body. Now if it hadn't been for the concealed damage to the fenders I bought then I would've been fine, but I am actually glad that I had to go get these other fenders because they are so perfect.

They lined up 100% with the bolt holes on the wings, valence and the body. So they immediately took them off and started cleaning them up. I got all the bolts with the fenders as I was missing some on my car. So overall what started as a huge inconvenience has actually worked out better for the overall car. They also had a good beading on the one which is great because I had damaged on of my original set.

Seller of the first batch of fenders has agreed to refund me in full too, so things have worked out great. I have asked the guys to keep the original slider clips that are in the fenders, never know when I might need them. The others I ordered from the US have been lost in the wonderful SA postal system. Once they hit the country they disappeared :bang:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Right, so in preparation for the car coming home this weekend, I have picked these up from Goldwagen Mooi Street:

New sump pan:

Windage/Restictor tray:

I am gonna take the sump through to Norbrake to have it baffled like so:

Should prevent any oil pressure issues that may crop up and help when I decide to go F.I. later.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
On the trailer...

And at her new home...

Now there is a number of things that weren't finished on time of collection. Wheel arches were not painted or fitted for example. Beadings were not repaired, sprayed or fitted, black out not fully installed - to name but a few things. OK the black out kit I was supplied seems to be for a 4 door and not a 2 door, so that technically is my fault.

Time to get cracking with pulling out the front and rear suspension so that I can send it off for powder coating. Then the engine and gearbox need a good scrubbing with degreaser and some engine enamel paint. Then they can be dropped in.

Lots of work coming.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, the guy who applied them got the sides wrong and stuck them on upside down. So I told him to leave it and I'll sort it myself. He also supplied the wrong black out kit for the doors. He supplied 4 door vinyl when my car is obviously a 2 door.

The vinyls were only applied yesterday so should be easy to remove this weekend.
I'll have to order another set and do them again myself.

I've been having some issue with the panel beater in the sense that the car is 3 months late and he still hasn't done everything I asked for. Wheel arches weren't even touched for example, neither were my a pillar covers.

I decided that enough was enough so I pulled in and collected the car and all my loose bits and glass and brought her home.
There is a lot to do still so I am gonna have to get cracking.

Wanna yank the front and rear suspension out and send it all off for sandblasting and powder coating.
Will do my ARB's, strut braces and engine mounts at the same time.

Need to try polishing all the glass as well. They were all scratched to hell in a previous respray that was done on the really cheap and nasty. So need to clean those up and then cut and glue the rubbers.

Still need to clean the old contact adhesive off the roof so that I can fit a very light sound deadened layer.

Lotsa work to do.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Mate of mine made this up for me earlier in the week. Should make cleaning and painting the engine a ton easier.

Gonna strip off the alternator, water pump, water flange etc and give the engine a good degreasing, then wire wheel the block and paint with it with engine enamel. Gonna clean up the gearbox casing aswell before mating to the motor and dropping it in.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts