VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Not connected yet, the pipe is in the rain tray. So not that this hand brake issue is sorted, I want to move on to all the rear hard lines, control cables and sort the wiring harness out.

I'd love yo get her started and running again after all this time. Even to the point that I can just take her for a quick burn down the road and back.

Once the weather warms up and I can start working in the evenings again I will get cracking.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I've been fiddling with the car a little bit, nothing major though. Finally finished the sound proofing around the handbrake.

Fitted the hand brake to test and its all working perfectly, just need to tighten up the handbrake cables.
Fitted the pressure sender for the VDO gauge.

Jacked the car up onto axle stands so that I can remove the old brake lines from the car to replace with new ones. I'm just not winning with the flaring tool, dunno if its the tool or the way I am doing it, or if the lines are just too old and brittle after 30+ years. I want to use the old lines as a template to add the correct bends so hopefully everything will just go straight back in.

Then I decided to do a test fit of the Snowflakes, I think these will look good with the chrome bumpers and the plastic wrap around type (if I can find a decent set).

I also need to check the fuel lines and connect up the correct supply and return lines. Gonna get cracking with the work on saturday and see what we can get done over the weekend.

I've done absolutely nothing over winter here in S.A. It's just been too cold in the evenings after work.

·
Registered
Eight diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
1,877 Posts
Reactions: EX-DOHCTOR

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
So cold here is usually in say the 10'C area. This winter we've been dipping below that and even below 0'C from time to time. We never get snow where I live but when the mountains around us are capped we freeze our butts off. I was able to get this infrared heater working again and am looking around now for insulation for my garage doors. Should help with next winter.

Yesterday I pulled out the radiator and started laying out the harness, there are some plugs and connectors missing, but I have a shopping list of bits to go buy that should get the last of the harness sorted. I also need to get some body clips from Wurth to secure the harness in place on the cradle, for now this was just laying out what we have to see what we are missing.

We are planning to try get the factory transponder and immobiliser working again, so we might be in for an interesting bit of electrical work soon.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Well, I managed to get most of what was on the shopping list from Goldwagen yesterday. Going to do some work on the car tonight again and get everything in place. These connectors will update the motor and radiator to the newer spec, last of the range Citi Golf's and hopefully make future maintenance easier as some of the parts are shared with the 6N/9N/9N2 and 9N3 Polo's as well.

I am going to try a few other places to get the rest of the items sorted and then we can hopefully repair the harness and put the battery in and start testing. Getting close to that first start up after so many years.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Right, so as I mentioned we are upgrading certain things on the car to accommodate the newer wiring harness and plugs rather than hack and slash the harness to go backwards.

Newer spec water flange and temperature sensor:

New type radiator switch:

Finally added the oil pressure sender to the oil filter housing.

I haven't had luck finding the correct body plugs for the wiring harness that go into the cradle but Wurth did have something that might work. I bought one as a sample so that I can test tonight. If it fits I'll go back and get more, if not... it might be time to break out the rivnuts and P-clamps.

Might also need to do some scrap yarding to find the correct heater control valve for the heater core in the cabin. Most places are only able to supply the new type for the new dashes which unfortunately doesn't work with the old type controls.

Always something with this car :hi:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Right, I finally found plugs that will work for the harness on the cradle. So that's finally done. Ive been working through the harness and cleaning things up very very slowly. Having to clean up the wiring and check for breaks in the copper then I slip over and seal with heat shrink.

I'm gonna try get new tyres on the Snowflakes and get the nose back on the ground. I want to pull the fuel tank out and replace the rubber hoses on the tank and drain the old fuel out. Then slap it back in and trace the supply and return lines back to the engine bay and connect those to the motor.

Need to get cracking on this again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Thanks bud, I started a bit of chain reaction of extra work upgrading to the newer hardware and harness but chipping away, all be it extremely slowly. Was hoping to be at a point where I could start the engine by end September... life got in the way.

I'm also distracted by a project vehicle for my dad which is consuming a lot of time and resources but I do kind of like that my dedicated project garage is being used. All the work keeps me honest and out of trouble :p

181 - 197 of 197 Posts