VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I can still remember the days back in my home town in Germany when a 90-degree curve at the ice cream shop was the local hang out for teens and young adults. Everybody who thought they had a cool car had to cruise that curve more than once an evening to show off. It was the early ‘80s and I can still picture the Simca Rallys and NSU TTs going around that bend as if they were on rails. That memory is what spurred me to find myself an NSU as my next project car. It was the only real choice after having several air-cooled VW Beetle projects. Like the vintage VWs, the NSU also has a rear engine which is air cooled……but this time it is an inline four.
Full Story

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Project NSU TTS Introduction (1552)

When Alex approached me Brad, and told me of his idea for the car, it was a "Must Do" project. This isn't exactly an easily replicated project, but it should open up the information for those attempting to build one. Additionally, you can find Prinz and TT models on Ebay with a fair degree of regularity (one every few weeks).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: Project NSU TTS Introduction (peteA4)

This is cool, I also used to live in Germany during the 80's and I was contemplating about importing a TTS for a while but never did it. I love the way they build them up in Germany, such a neat little race car. I never expected that anybody would know so much about them in America and actually attempt to built one up.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Re: Project NSU TTS Introduction (Alexander)

Quote, originally posted by Alexander »
I know of a 1200C that is available right now ;-). It needs to tlc though.
Alex

Unfortunately, I don't have the place/time for a big restore project. A decent 1000 TT or TTS would be nice, though

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Project NSU TTS Introduction (Back2Dubs)

Quote, originally posted by Back2Dubs »

Unfortunately, I don't have the place/time for a big restore project. A decent 1000 TT or TTS would be nice, though

Keep your eyes on Ebay. I see decent examples periodically on that site.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Be aware that no more than 700 NSUs of all models were imported to the US in the modern period ('60s and '70s), so buy one when you find one. Know that you can perform about half the possible disassemblies and adjustments on the car with a single tool, so carry a 13mm wrench. And have fun! My US TT (single carb, tach and the same TT logo you see on the back of those Audi pretenders) needed no more than four yellow Bilsteins and a four-pipe Abarth muffler to be about as sporty as I could want.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Re: Project NSU TTS Introduction (solo2_z06)

Quote, originally posted by solo2_z06 »
Just found this forum and thank you. I own a 1965 NSU 1000 that I autocrossed from 1966-1972. I have essentially moth balled it since that time. Maybe with some information gathered here, I can get it back on track.

You've got a rare car there. Is it a 1000, 1000TT or 1000TTS? Would be great to see some pics http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .
Should be a fun car to restore if its still in fairly decent condition. If you ever decide to let it go please let me know. Easy for me to view it since I am not very far away from you

Ralph.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.