VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after months of reading and planning it is all finally coming together.
First a couple pictures of the car. Currently I am running H&R Sport Springs and Koni Yellows, all of which will be ditched for the new air setup.

Next was the planning stage:
My trunk has been fully built for a while now. I did not want to have to redo everything to get the air done, so I needed to figure out where everything was going to go, with minimal modification to the current setup. So I took a look at what I had currently:

A good chunk of the spare tire well is already taken up as well:

Ooooo, and open space:

So then I tore apart the trunk to see how much of the spare tire well was still available, turns out there is still A LOT of space left at the back of the well:

After some cardboard and posterboard planning, I came to the conclusion that a 2 gallon tank would fit on either side of the trunk, giving me 4 total gallons on reserve. I am going to be relocating the crossovers which currently sit on the drivers side of the trunk to make room for the second tank.

After I figured out where everything was going I hit up the resident Vortex Air Guru [email protected] for all my management needs.
The Goods
I came home to a nice large box outside the front door:

Shipped directly from airlift:

As if I didnt have enought weight in the trunk with the system, lets add more:

After LOTS of unwrapping:

I was sent 2 2.5 gallon tanks by mistake, however after a test fit the 2.5s will work so I am keeping them, which will now give me 5 gallons on reserve as opposed to my original plan of 4. I would like to note though that Kevin was very helpful when I called about the mistake in tank size. He was more than willing to swap them out for me and take care of me in anyway possible. The best customer service I could have asked for.
So as mentioned the car will have dual 2.5 gallon tanks, as well as dual Viair 400c Compressors, here is one of each:

For ease of install I decided to go with manifold over valves, here is one of the Easy Street 4-way billet manifolds

Nothing you guys havent seen before, the Auto Pilot:

A ton of solid metal nickel plated fittings

I will also be running dual water traps which came in a separate box last week that I forgot to get for the pictures.
That sums up the management setup

Preliminary Test Fit
So now it was time to make sure all my careful planning worked and everything was going to fit as planned. So I tore apart the trunk again to place everything in its respective place:

As shown there will be one compressor on each side of the hump, then a manifold next to it, then the digital controller's ECU (not pictured since I didnt want to unwrap everything and get all the parts mixed up) will be in the center between the two manifolds.
Put the nitrous back in to make sure it all still fit:

Check! Still lots of space to spare too which is great since im sure it will need some more space with the water traps, airline, etc. so everything should fit nice and proper in the back of the well.
Time for a tank test fit:

Check! While the two ports on the top and bottom will not be able to be used seeing as how snug a fit it is, there are still 4 more which is good enough for me to do everything.
Say goodbye to your home crossovers, its been a good stay, but you are getting relocated:

The cardboard makes a re-appearance:

The tanks will be painted silver and the trim pieces will be wrapped in the same black carpet as the rest of the trunk for a nice clean simple install that will flow with everything else in the trunk and maintain the same silver and black theme the rest of the car has. The trim pieces will also look a million times better then that cardboard mock up.

Thats all for now, just waiting for the actual suspension components to arrive

Im open to any and all comments, questions and suggestions. I just cant wait to finally be LOW!

Modified by rollininstyle2004 at 12:12 AM 6-24-2008

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
you will like this tank better! a little more air and more flexibility with ports.

Yea, after making sure they fit, and realizing I can use the side ports instead I think these will actually work out better. I guess I am glad these were sent instead

Quote, originally posted by dt83aw »
did those tanks come from AAC or Airlift? cant see the ones with those ports on the sites.

Directly from AirLift, it is the tank that is sold with the "Hot Rod Digital" setup. Its a 2.5 gallon with 6 ports.
Quote, originally posted by MikeSc0tt »
just bag the front. The back probly tucks with all that weight in there

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I know right, the rears are almost tucking as is with just springs.
Quote, originally posted by dashrendar »
this thing will good when done, wow. good job!

Thanks! I cant wait to get everything installed.

Modified by rollininstyle2004 at 2:02 PM 6-24-2008

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (crippled4life)

Quote, originally posted by crippled4life »
reppin the dirty dirty...wish i was in town...i'd lend u a hand...it's gonna be sick man. good work so far http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks man! We'll have to do a photoshoot when you get back in town with both cars http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Re: (rollininstyle2004)

Quote, originally posted by rollininstyle2004 »

Thanks man! We'll have to do a photoshoot when you get back in town with both cars http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

no doubt mines under the knife again so it might be a while...keep the pics coming..we should of spoken about this at durtyfest...i didn't know u were baggin it..ur gonna be hooked like everyone else in this forum

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Re: (rollininstyle2004)

Quote, originally posted by rollininstyle2004 »

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for a local, dude I just finished my bag setup, if you need any help just hit me up and I remember seeing your car on importatl. On air this car would be ridiculous.

Modified by agoodlife at 12:15 AM 6-25-2008

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (crippled4life)

Quote, originally posted by crippled4life »

no doubt mines under the knife again so it might be a while...keep the pics coming..we should of spoken about this at durtyfest...i didn't know u were baggin it..ur gonna be hooked like everyone else in this forum

I thought I stopped by your car and talked to you about it...maybe not...and im already hooked, spending WAY more then originally planned...haha
Quote, originally posted by agoodlife »

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for a local, dude I just finished my bag setup, if you need any help just hit me up and I remember seeing your car on importatl. On air this car would be ridiculous.

Modified by agoodlife at 12:15 AM 6-25-2008

Thanks man, did you do your install yourself?
Quote, originally posted by JB_1152 »
Can't wait to see the trunk once its all done. Looks like you taking a lot of time and thought into it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks! I like to try and only do things once, so I make sure to plan them as much as possible BEFORE spending any money

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (phantommullet4)

Quote, originally posted by phantommullet4 »
Damn Jordan I didn't know you were planning air! I'm quickly fading as one of PasstWorld's favorites because of people like you lol

LOL...thanks man! Your car will always be a classic though. What are you driving now anyway?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.