VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can’t stay away from the Mk4 R32 platform... Before this one, I had a Reflex Silver R32 with cloth seats. I purchased that one with 70,000 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, my wife and I decided that we need house and I was sold it to my friend. Fast forward two months. I couldn’t pass up on this neglected Tornado Red R32 with 101k miles. It was a bank repo and I somehow convinced my wife that I wouldn’t touch the project until we purchased a house. Please bear with me, this project may take longer than usual. We are still in the process of buying a home and my spending is limited.

Me being me, I still went ahead and started purchasing parts. Big thank you to Eastcoast Parts LLC., they picked up a DBP R32 with only 32k miles on the odometer and I couldn’t resist on purchasing the full interior minus the headliner and door panels from them. The leather seats, aluminum trim and steering wheel are in mint condition. Pictures of those parts will come as I clean them up from the dust. The plan for this project is to make this vehicle look and drive like it just drove off of the show room floor. Every bushing that I can will be replaced and the engine and transmission will be completely refreshed. I want them to stay original to the car. Items like the interior and differential will be sourced from low mileage donors or items that are only in excellent condition. If anyone has leads on items that are in mint condition, please feel free to PM me. I am currently looking for leather door panels, black pillar set, engine cover, RH side skirt and headliner. I will post more items as they come needed.

For now, please enjoy the pictures of the car that I picked up as a restoration.

My old R32:

My new R32:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Save the .:Rs!!! :thumbup:
Yep, enough of them are wrecked as it is.
Sweet Rimz yo

Demanding a TT-RS from my iPhone
At least the previous owner did one thing right.

They are 17x8 OZ Alleggerite HLT and weigh only 16 lbs per wheel!
These will get some sticky rubber for WiTW once the car is finished.:cool:
she needs some serious lovin, whom ever did that should be shot
Agreed :thumbup:
what in the hell happened to that headlight

good work though! cant wait to see it finished
The whole front end of the car was plasti-dipped and the headlight got it too.
Congrats on the purchase and there's nothing wrong with a long drawn out build, because you can research on what parts you want to upgrade :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a tornado red from a friend that is in rough shape and will soon start a build thread of my own. Will be interested to see how you go about this as I am in the same boat. Good luck with the build!!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are we allowed to ask how much a bank repo'd R goes for?:p
I picked this one up for $4k
I just bought a tornado red from a friend that is in rough shape and will soon start a build thread of my own. Will be interested to see how you go about this as I am in the same boat. Good luck with the build!!
Thanks, Pm me a link when you start your build. I would love to follow it as well. Good to see that the neglected .:R's are going falling into good hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Still debating which way to go. For the time being, I am focused on bringing it back to life.
I am in the same boat, taking the engine out this weekend and still have no idea what to do

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
May sound like a broken record, but while the engine is out is the best time to do the big stuff!

If you are considering boosting it but don't want the hassle that a big ass turbo setup brings, you could look into a supercharger setup. Less hardware for the most part.

Vito @ exit9 would be the guy to talk to about supercharger stuff.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
May sound like a broken record, but while the engine is out is the best time to do the big stuff!

If you are considering boosting it but don't want the hassle that a big ass turbo setup brings, you could look into a supercharger setup. Less hardware for the most part.

Vito @ exit9 would be the guy to talk to about supercharger stuff.
I am leaning more towards N/A.

I had a BT GLI and I liked the big power figures. It was not as usable in the twisty's. I know supercharger would fix that usability issue, but I want to go a different route with this one. Some mild cams, tune and I always wanted this :cool:

I will just need to source it since I believe they no longer make them.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That poor car, Cant wait to see what you bring it back too! :thumbup:
Thanks.

And the work continues...

In a bid to save some money, I went ahead and pulled the spindles, control arms and steering rack from my old GLI that I no longer have. The spindles have new bearings that were pressed in less than 1000 miles and the steering rack has brand new tie rods. While I was at it, installed some new sway bar bushings.

Before...
The axle boots will need attention at a later point. I replaced what I had at this point.

After...
Forgot to mention that the control arms have Whiteline caster adjusting bushings installed. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts