VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

Some of you know who I am. Some of you remember my last project. Some of you may not.

I am pleased with my vehicle selection and will gladly keep everyone upto date.

First up is the car itself:

Car: 2017 VW Golf R
Stuff in Car: DCC, NAV, DSG, DAP.
Color of Car: Lapiz Blue Metallic

Here is what we have so far:
Engine & Transmission:
Unitronic Stage 2 Software (INSTALLED)
Unitronic Stage 2 TCU Software (INSTALLED)
Unitronic Uniconnect+ Flash Loader (INSTALLED)
Unitronic 2.0 MQB AWD Downpipe (INSTALLED) --> Ceramic Coated by Precision Powder Coating (Melbourne, FL)
Unitronic MQB Intercooler (INSTALLED)
VWR R600 Cold Air Intake (INSTALLED)
VWR High-flow Turbo Inlet Pipe (INSTALLED)
VWR High-Flow Turbo 90 (INSTALLED)
IE Outlet Muffler Delete (INSTALLED)
ECS Turbo Blanket Kit (INSTALLED)
APR Silicon Boost Hoses (INSTALLED)

Exterior / Cosmetic / Suspension:
DAP European LED MK7 Tail Lights (Cherry Red) With Adapter Harness (INSTALLED and CODED)
3M 40% Crystalline Window Film (INSTALLED)
ECSTuning Golf R Flush Kit (INSTALLED)
Kufatec Power Folding Mirrors for MK7 (With DAP) (INSTALLED)
BFI Stage 1 MK7 Torque Arm Insert (Might not do this, need to know if it causes knock sensor issues)
TRS OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBI HID's (INSTALLED)
Ross-Tech: VCDS Micro CAN (USED)

Interior / Audio:
Swap All NON LED’s to LED’s
Something Something Something Custom Audio. (May Copy this design for Sub Enclosure)
More to come!

Some interesting notes on the MK7 that I have found while surfing the interwebs. From everything I can tell, the DCC does NOT play nice with lowering springs. Even the VWR Lowering springs cause what is described as a “crashy ride”. With that in mind and my philosophy of every mod must be a resounding improvement, I am opting to keep the suspension stock for the time being. From my research, the Flush Kit will have no negative impact on vehicle performance.

On APR:
have been an avid supporter of APR in the past, I have no gripes with the company, but I wanted to try something new for this car. I chose Unitronic because the support I have received has been OVERWHELMINGLY positive and I like the ability to change flashes from the house.

On Unitronic:
Prices were hard to beat. After doing the research, I could not find 200$ more intercooler in the APR intercooler so the Unitronic one wins. I am also not sold on the benefits of a Cast Downpipe either and I like the fact that the Unitronic Downpipe still mounts to the factory brackets on the engine side and uses the factory mounts on the frame. I have had downpipes crack at the flange in the past (on my MKIV), and want it to be secure and not have the stress point be at the turbocharger. I also like the fact that the Catalytic converter is as close to the stock location as possible. The cat will get hot faster and stay hotter having it that close to the turbocharger exhaust outlet. I never thought I would care about the environment, but where the car is going, they still do the tail pipe sniff test.

On VWR:
They sell nice looking stuff and I am still not completely convinced that they are NOT a hidden subsidiary of VW. I chose the VWR Intake because I will be shipping the car internationally and don’t need those pesky inspectors staring in my engine bay to immediately start asking questions about modifications. I am not too fond of the oiled filter element, but the compromise between the function and this potential drawback was not enough to do something else. I also like the polish of the other components from them. (Turbo Inlet Pipe and Turbo 90 Pipe).

On IE:
IE has made a hell of a name for themselves. The Turbo Muffler Delete was a simple choice to solve a nearly nonexistent problem. Turbo sounds are good.

On Deutsche Autoparts:
These guys truly love this platform and are anxious to talk about the cars. Aside from the fact that I spent a small fortune with them on various items, they were always eager to talk about whatever else I had on my mind with regards to VW’s. It is that reason that I chose to purchase the LED tail lights and adapter harness from them. To me, customer service is nearly more important than price and I see no problems giving my money to an organization that provides excellent customer support. Cherry MK7 LED tail lights are gonna look dope on this car!

On 3M Tint:
This was a hard choice since there are so many good tints out there. I like the semi exotic look of the crystalline tint along with the amazing heat rejection.

On
BFI Torque Insert:
I had the HPA Hockey Puck on my MKIV and loved it so it only made sense to pursue something similar on my New Project. BFI Makes good stuff so this also made sense.

More thoughts (and pictures eventually) to come.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
HPA also has a torque mount with the puck design for the mk7 I believe. Nice list of mods. You will love the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome! :wave:

You are very much correct on the VWR springs and not playing nice with DCC. There are very few spring kits out there that play nice. Once of which are MSS which happened to be designed specifically around the DCC technology. You can read about them here. Emmanuele design also offer s a linear spring set that we have used with good results. But from my on road experience the MSS kit is the way to go for performance and comfort without sacrifice. :cool:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuff Starting to Arrive!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Nice parts choices out of curiosity where r u shipping the car too? R u going with it or you are building it for someone else?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Wow!!!

Christmas came early.:thumbup::thumbs:

TAIL LIGHTS: Are these the OEM tail lights featured on the GOLF R in Germany?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice parts choices out of curiosity where r u shipping the car too? R u going with it or you are building it for someone else?

No Sir, this beast is mine and mine alone. Never thought to build cars for others though. LOL. I am shipping the car to my next duty station - Puerto Rico. :)

Wow!!!

Christmas came early.:thumbup::thumbs:

TAIL LIGHTS: Are these the OEM tail lights featured on the GOLF R in Germany?
Those are OEM LED's. I though about REPS, but decided not to cheap out. :)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With my VIN firmly in hand (not necessarily the car, the dealership has verified that it is stateside and within their delivery window), I am now able to order software and make some other arrangements.

I do have a question for the Field . . . Anyone who OWNS AND OPERATES a MK7 Golf R with the ECS Tuning "Flush" wheel spacer kit: Have you noticed any negative effects from running this kit? Since it does change the suspension geometry a bit (scrub patch, etc.), I am curious if there have been any negative side effects from running this kit. Thanks.

The kit contains the following:

• Front:
    • QTY 2 - 10mm Hub-Centric Wheel Spacers
    • QTY 10 - 40mm Black, Ball Seat Wheel Bolts
  • Rear
    • QTY 2 - 17.5mm Hub-Centric Wheel Spacers
    • QTY 10 - 45mm Black, Ball Seat Wheel Bolts

Thanks for the information everyone!

·
Registered
54 Posts
With my VIN firmly in hand (not necessarily the car, the dealership has verified that it is stateside and within their delivery window), I am now able to order software and make some other arrangements.

I do have a question for the Field . . . Anyone who OWNS AND OPERATES a MK7 Golf R with the ECS Tuning "Flush" wheel spacer kit: Have you noticed any negative effects from running this kit? Since it does change the suspension geometry a bit (scrub patch, etc.), I am curious if there have been any negative side effects from running this kit. Thanks.

The kit contains the following:

• Front:
    • QTY 2 - 10mm Hub-Centric Wheel Spacers
    • QTY 10 - 40mm Black, Ball Seat Wheel Bolts
  • Rear
    • QTY 2 - 17.5mm Hub-Centric Wheel Spacers
    • QTY 10 - 45mm Black, Ball Seat Wheel Bolts

Thanks for the information everyone!

I have the ecs flush kit on my car. absolutely no problem. no rubbing and didn't notice any change handling wise. I'm still at stock height for the moment. kit is perfect with oem wheels.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the ecs flush kit on my car. absolutely no problem. no rubbing and didn't notice any change handling wise. I'm still at stock height for the moment. kit is perfect with oem wheels.

Excellent Information. Seems to corrobarate the majority of what I can find.

Thanks for info. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on them. Lets see how fast they ship!

Also decided that if the headlights are anything like they were on my MK6 Golf R, then I will be very disappointed in the HID output of the stock bulbs . . . to mitigate this I have purchased some Phillips OSRAM XENARC CBI's with a higher Kelvin rating of about 5500K (TRS Says 5500K and the box says 5000K). The Lumen output is a bit higher and I had these on my MK6 and they were super nice!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something has Arrived!

WHY SO MUCH WHEEL GAP VW!?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered