VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Group B Grocery Getter

Edit from the original first post: This car is being built as a fully prepared hillclimb car. The good posts start at around page 3. Progress is slow, but I will always update this thread.

Specs for the car are as follows:
Engine:
-Audi AAN block bored to 82mm
-Audi WN/WH 77.4mm stroke crank as opposed to the standard 86.4mm crank. Balanced
-Pauter custom rods to accommodate the very short stroke crank.. Rod to stroke ratio will be somewhere around 1.91
-Wiseco custom piston from Geoff Gerner of Four Ring Performance
-Custom dry sump oil pan
-Peterson 3 stage pump
-Geoff Gerner's exclusive ATI Super Damper
-Ported and polished head with .5mm oversized intake and exhaust valves
-Borgwarner EFR 7163 (for now)
-Custom exhaust manifold
-Custom intake manifold
-Motec M130 ECU
-Intercooler will likely come from Treadstone
-Rear mounted radiator

Drivetrain:
-6 Speed 01E
-Advance Automotion dogbox gear kit
-TTV billet Flywheel
-Tilton twin disc clutch
-High bias torsen center diff
-Shortened prop shaft to accommodate the engine being pushed back about 2"

Those are the main things besides a legal roll cage which I will fabricate myself and the other bits that involve tuning the chassis which I will sort out as I go.

IMG_20150906_112355_564 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20150906_112522_713 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just curious what size tires are on it?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious what size tires are on it?
Currently 185/65r14. The ones in the pictures are 195/60r14. Both are very similar in overall diameter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lookin' great!

Not much of a concern right now, given your present weather conditions, but in the summer you may want to cover that gap from the top of the radiator to the top of the grille, for better cooling system operation.

Re. the tire sizes: mounted on my Dasher wagon, the 195/60-14 size helped road handling vs. the 185s, especially if one does significant mountain driving.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lookin' great!

Not much of a concern right now, given your present weather conditions, but in the summer you may want to cover that gap from the top of the radiator to the top of the grille, for better cooling system operation.

Re. the tire sizes: mounted on my Dasher wagon, the 195/60-14 size helped road handling vs. the 185s, especially if one does significant mountain driving.
Thanks! And actually I never posted it, but I made a new top cover for the radiator. It was the first thing I did to the car. I made it out of aluminum sheet. It's amazing what a difference it made to the running temp of the car.

And I plan to change out the wheels probably around the beginning of summer for some 15s and I'd like to run 195s or 205s depending on the wheels I go with. I run 205/50r15 Bridgestone Potenza re-71rs on my cabby and I might see how they fit on this just for reference.

Here's my cabby's set up and I'd like to go with something similar size-wise.
IMG_20160122_184050_775 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

But before getting to do anything really fun with the car (aside from driving it of course!) I've got to take care of the maintenance issues. Recently I've done both rear wheel bearings and hubs, one new rear caliper, bled the brakes, got the 185/65r14 Michelin snow tires and now I'm sorting out the emergency brake cables.

For whatever reason all the new cables I get have about 6" too much sheathing which messes up how the cables sit in the car and it makes the cable unable to reach the yoke that's attached to the adjustment rod. I've gotten 3 sets and they're all the same.. So my solution to the problem was make a new and longer adjustment rod to give enough adjustment on the yoke to allow it to reach the cables. This worked out because mine was so rusted it couldn't be adjusted anyway.

Going to install this today and then adjust the cables and enjoy being able to use the e-brake when I want to :laugh:
IMG_20160126_193310_948 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New tail light showed up yesterday for the passenger side of the car. It's in pretty nice shape. Nicer shape than I was anticipating. I'm pleased to say the least :thumbup:

IMG_20160128_161253_512 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

I also got started inspecting the rear and removed a few things to get it ready for straightening. To clarify the frame is straight, but as you can see the body is not so straight :laugh: I also figured out why so much damage was inflicted when the car got hit... 95% of the rear crash beam had rotted away and what you see in this picture was what was holding the bumper cover on when it got it.. There was really just some thick plastic protecting the whole rear.. Crazy :eek:

IMG_20160128_165836_643 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

I have a new rear crash beam.. or so I hope. I bought one on a whim for an earlier model quantum, like early 86.. Apparently there is a difference? Not sure if there really is a difference. Regardless I'll make it work. I'm going to need a new bumper cover though because mine seems to be pretty screwed. It's not straightening back out like I had hoped.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Over the weekend I got the hatch opened up so I could fully inspect the damage from the hit. For what it's worth, I think I'm going to try to source a rear clip for this thing. some of the seams have rot and if I try to pull it out they're likely going to separate.

IMG_20160130_110654_415[1] by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some things I missed that should have been posted earlier in the thread, but oh well.

034 Motorsports Short shift kit installed :thumbup:
IMG_20151129_124021_582 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Starting the process of doing the timing belt, water pump, idler pulley and removing the stock cam to install some new lifters and the Techtonics 272* camshaft and adjustable timing belt pulley.
IMG_20151205_175351_951 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20151207_150045_285 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20151207_172257_605 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20151207_172622_224 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And finally, refinished rear control arms with brand new bearings and hubs.
IMG_20151231_180229_239 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been a while since I've updated this, but I've got some things done with it recently. Got the new wheels test fitted and they look exactly how I was hoping. I dropped them off Friday to Shore Polishing and Finishing for a refinish in white.

IMG_20160516_173843_306 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160516_173917_860 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And just this weekend I had an excellent parts haul which means I can get started on the body work! I picked up a rear clip, although not perfect it has the portion I need in good shape! Also a rust free hatch, two very nice fenders with minimal rust that's easily fixed, two basically new Bilstein HD front struts, and a bunch of other goodies.

IMG_20160521_140801_931 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160522_131025_430 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160522_131011_452 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

I also almost have the new stainless steel exhaust complete. I need to have two bends put in and that will be complete. Pictures to come once I finish it this week.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really sweet build, man. Following. Replace that carpet yet? Quantums are great cars. Strange proportions, but really really lovable. Keep the posts coming!
Thanks man! It's going slower than I'd like, but in time the car will where I want it. I'm gearing up to fix the rear panels of the car, between the rust and the fact that it was rear ended, but it shouldn't bee too bad because now that I've been under a few of these cars and seen how bad the rust can become complete rot, I've realized I have a very good platform and that my rust is minimal in comparison lol. But once all that is sorted, the car is getting a fresh coat of it's original LB7V Graphite Black Metallic paint.

But last night I finished it's new stainless steel exhaust! Hopefully it will pass inspection when I take it today or tomorrow. It failed last time for an extremely leaky exhaust :laugh:

A new Vibrant Performance stainless cat and new O2 sensor should help it pass
IMG_20160525_181434_743 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And the rest is welded together except the muffler, so there should be no more leaks anywhere.
IMG_20160525_175447_514 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got around to working on fixing the rear end this weekend. I got the new rear valance in place and it looks great. It's nice to have the hatch finally open, close AND latch shut. I was driving it around with the hatch just staying shut from its own weight :laugh:. Hopefully one of my local Volkswagen dealerships will have their good wax undercoating in stock so I can finish up the metal work and get the rear section undercoated and then move on to the doors. Then fresh paint!

IMG_20160529_123631_993 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160529_123650_558 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160531_121554_187 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160531_121607_861 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160531_121625_740 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160531_183122_139 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160531_191621_980 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160531_211345_329 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did some work on the car. I was able to get all the front suspension components replaced over last weekend and got it aligned yesterday. I'm getting ready to do the rear shocks this weekend. I'll be integrating first gen Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX shocks into the back of the car. These are a better option than mk1 rear shocks because the spring perch sits in the correct place and they are valved correctly for this car. First gen AWD Eclipses weigh in around 2700-2800 pounds and the Quantum Syncro weighs in around 2900. Much closer than the 2000 pound to 2900 pound gap from a Mk1 to a QSW.

I'll be utilizing KYB AGX 8-way dampening adjustable shocks. I'm machining a custom set of bushing to make them work the QSW's rear strut mounts. So there will be pictures to come for that!

And I've got a bit of unobtainium for the car this week. I scored a set of smoker windows from a south american car with BRAND NEW SEALS. I'll have some pictures of that up later as well.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend finished up one of the bushings to mount the Mitsubishi Eclipse rear shocks to the rear control arm of the Quantum. Pictures are crappy, but it turned out pretty good considering this was the first time either of us ever used a lathe. Just have to drill out the other bushing because it's already turned down. These are press fit too.

downsized_0706160842 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
downsized_0706160835 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX rear struts in last night. All I've got to say is wow. Talk about an amazing ride. The KYB AGX dampening adjustable struts are an incredible strut for the money. I played around with the dampening adjustment during my drive and you can completely change the feel in the rear of the car with just a few clicks of the adjustment knob.

This is a modification well worth doing if you have the ability to make the bushings, or I can even make a set if you're interested in increasing the performance of your QSW.

I'll get some good pictures of them installed hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Installed 034 Motorsports density line transmission mounts and some OEM engine mounts. The driver side trans mount had the rubber torn all apart and the passenger side engine mount stud had completely separated from the rubber. Well worth the time doing considering how easy they are to do in this car.

Also pulled the trigger on buying new window guide seals for the front and rear windows and a new windshield seal from Germany.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Plans for the engine have changed because a while back an AAN 2.2L 20vt from a UrS4 fell into my lap for a silly cheap price. So that will be going into the car instead of modifying the 10v with a supercharger because in my mind I can make the power I'm looking for hand over fist with lots of aftermarket support and it will be reliable.

I'll be upgrading from the stock K24-7000 turbo to a Precision 5431 or a Precision 5831 because it's a cheap turbo that will spool fairly good and will deliver the kind of power I'm looking to make. I'll likely upgrade the exhaust manifold to something tubular with a T3 flange and I plan to build my own down pipe and a custom ITB turbo manifold using either BMW throttle bodies or two sets of Hayabusa throttle bodies to make one set of 5.

Also, I picked up a camera so pictures to come of all this!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.