VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well since it's starting to get warm out and I'm starting to work on my car, it's about time I unveil this years project.

Ever since I sold my white MK3 Jetta I've wanted to get into another white car. About a year and a half ago I acquired an 01 Jetta to replace my wife's Taurus. I took over driving it about 6 months ago when we got a mini van, and, well, I can't just drive a stock car! It's currently on coils and low enough that the subframe hits just about everything!

Some plans include:

Respray in candy white
GLI parts
Some shaving
Some wheels and tires

Some things I've acquired:

Then I stumbled upon this and thought it'd be good for some laughs:

And of course, had to rep the family!

Shot of the day I picked her up:

As of yesterday with the Speedtech boser welded on and GLI lip installed

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I have the down turned tips on my exhaust I decided to shave the exhaust cutout in the GLI lip. I used a tow hook cover from a MK3 GTI rear bumper cover, it had just the right amount of plastic needed for the shave; however, the lip isn't made of "normal" plastic as my plastic welder wasn't meshing the plastics together like it usually does. I ended up using some panel bonding adhesive instead of trying to weld it in place. So far so good. This stuff sets up like concrete. There'll be lots of filling and sanding this weekend, maybe some paint.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a little bit done over the weekend. Finished up the front end (minus clear) and I think it came out pretty well. Can't wait till this weekend to spray everything and start putting it together!

I found the easiest way to shave the bumper lights is to glue them in place with some panel adhesive and then put a slick of bondo overthem. Now normally, I would cut out blanks and plastic weld them in; however, in a MK4's case, they already fit flush so why waste that time?

I'd been really dragging my feet with my wheels as well. When I bought them I was told I wouldn't need any spacers etc and the seller seemed kinda shady, but he was right. Finally got them test fitted and they fit great. I just need some new lugs...

The center caps that it came with did not fit the wheels at all, they were huge and literally stuck out like a sore thumb. They did not offer any flat caps so I had to make my own. I started by cutting off the dome portion and then used a old plastic tote for my cap, used some JB weld to hold it together and threw some paint on it. I've got some custom made stickers coming for the centers, will post those when complete.

And a few updated shots of the front end...

·
Registered
905 Posts
looks good, can't wait to see it back together :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts