VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little history behind the car, some of you may have already seen the original post, but I've decided to do a fully documented build. Going to be somewhat slow due to the regulars, time, funding and space available, but needless to say she will be getting some SERIOUS love.

A little back story for my newly acquired cabby:
I took a trip with a friend from Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville for a potential trade, his motorcycle for this 83 cabby. We looked it over, the bike was worth about $2.5k, so he traded the guy. It was not running but compression checked tight across the board and it wanted to fire, knowing my way around a 16v, I was confident in this car. It was a one owner and the guy who owned it was a n oldschool VW head, but went to prison for quite some time, this was the only one he held on to, the rest were sold off.

It had been garaged for about 20 years, hence the 34k on the clock and 10k mile Scirocco 16v he swapped new back in the day, ran carfax and checked out. It has a mint ass interior, some light surface rust, but in overall good condition, Neuspeed swaybars, forget what suspension, but a dampening adjustable cup kit, moulded zender body kit, 14" momo arrows and what ever else I can't think of right now. I has been pointed out the mileage may be incorrect, after all guy did go to prison...

It's been about 10 months since I had seen the car, but my friend needed to unload it, so I proposed an offer and he accepted, I grabbed it early last week. It has sat pretty much untouched and covered, we attempted to get it going, but the fuel system really needs to be dismantled and cleaned properly. It's on CIS which I am not fond of, so will most likely go Digi or Megasquirt.

On for the pics, these were taken on our way back from the trip, but once I get it in my possession, I will take a bunch more. Enjoy!

Yes you're reading it correctly...

And the interior backs up the ODO...

Dunno why this pic is so small, but... Scirocco 16v swap!!!

Started picking at some troubled rust and decided to remove the Zender kit, now seeing it off, I'm not sure whether I want it back on...

·
Registered
703 Posts
And btw i know a lil about cis (my 89 gli 16v is running strong) and i have quite a few cis stuff laying around including the older cabby lines and injectors pumps are the same i believe....i can prob get the cis stuff goin if need be...lmk

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its to bad i didnt know lil over a yr ago...i have a 90 in minty condition i couldnt sell and stripped it and parted everything out...:mad:
Damn, that does suck :banghead:

And btw i know a lil about cis (my 89 gli 16v is running strong) and i have quite a few cis stuff laying around including the older cabby lines and injectors pumps are the same i believe....i can prob get the cis stuff goin if need be...lmk
Cool man, Hoguer said he'd help me out a bit I think this week, but if you need a little vacation, let me know :beer:

When we tried to fire it about 8 months ago, the injectors were spraying perfectly, but didn't mess with the plunger. Rohri may be coming by tonight to fiddle with it if you'll be around, I could probably use some phone support :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In for popcorn maker movie player with gehy midget pr0n and then part out. :p :laugh: :popcorn:

Sent from Apollo 13 on mobile device.
Sounds like you're wanting some stuff for the R, the bodykit and wheels are a direct fit :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent a couple hours on it tonight, tried to get her running on the current management, but kept losing spark. So the CIS ended up in a big pile on the ground...

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so what's next? carb? digifant? megasquirt?

i am tempted to ask for the CIS but then i remember i have a mechanical fuel pump that i am very happy with, not going back to electric....
I am kinda torn on the decision, leaning toward megasquirt as I have become quite familiar with it. Easier and cheaper to mod down the road, better performance and MPG's, yada yada, but then again digi would be the substantially cheaper alternative for this budget build.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got into it a little today, tried to clean the interior of some stains, but proved to be a tad more difficult than Tuff Stuff could tackle, exploring some other options.

Put on a clean replacement hood I sourced from the junkyard last weekend, I know you will all love the driver only bug guard :laugh: The other hood and hinges were damaged in tow to the house, damn hood flew open at 70 on the turnpike :banghead:

Also got a set of smoked headlights from my fellow cabby buddy, the one prepping his new oldskool rear decklid, tossed thse in as well.

Sourced some management this week from a fellow vortexer, new MS2v3.0 built from spitfireefi with mapdaddy, harness, some sensors and cables as well as a set of Autotech 16v cams, the MS was built with COP's in mind so I may ditch the dizzy for independent coils :thumbup:

On for the pics...

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ur best bet is to tuff stuff it and spray water on it and shop-vac it over and over i had the same int in mine and its a biah to clean and keep clean
tuff stuff didn't touch it, busted out the pressure washer today and they turned out pretty good, although may need another round due to some yellowing bleeding back thru.

It was such a nice day, I decided to clean a little more ;)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
White on white is one of my favorite cabby combos.
Thank you for keeping that interior.
I have always liked those seats as well.
:thumbup::thumbup:...........:beer:

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hell yeah!! Next up, Chad builds a Mil spec Hover craft from left over parts found from previous builds! Rock on bub!:)
:laugh:

don't temp me :p

:beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dig the triple white! Looks like you have a nice solid car to start with, good deal! :beer:
Thanks, stay tuned for even more white, engine and trans will be coming out and going white as well as shaved bay and even more white, dood is going to be confused when I order up like 2 gallons of Alpine :laugh:

The car not as solid as I had presumed, when I removed the rear card, I found smeared silicone all over the top of the fender well was like uh oh... Upon further inspection, it had part of the rear quarter replaced at one time, who knows what I will find when I open up that can of worms. There is also some rust of concern in various places, the usual windshield, rockers and rear pan, but with the products that are readily available these days should be no problem to nip it in the bud, definitely a salvageable body :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
u gonna get single stage urethane L90E alpine? if so lemme know what brand and how much per gallon it is
Most likely for this budget build, might shoot a couple coats of clear on the body if the sheen isn't quite deep enough, we'll see. Probably going to do either Omni or Nason :thumbup:

Got my MS2 and cams today :D I'll snap some pics a little later :beer:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.