VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've pretty much settled on Meguiar's products to clean, repair, and protect my newly purchased silver 2015 Passat. I want to make sure I understand the proper steps. The car is in great shape except for a few mostly minor things. I have a few fine scratches, 1 pretty major scratch, and a line/scuff across the back of the trunk that goes away after washing and reappears.

1. Use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

2. Use Ultimate Compound or ScratchX to remove fine scratches. Do I also need to use clay?

3. Use Ultimate Polish. Is this necessary after using Ultimate Compound/ScratchX?

4. Use Ultimate Liquid Wax, Ultimate Fast Finish, or some other wax. What is recommended?

Thanks for the time and help.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've pretty much settled on Meguiar's products to clean, repair, and protect my newly purchased silver 2015 Passat. I want to make sure I understand the proper steps. The car is in great shape except for a few mostly minor things. I have a few fine scratches, 1 pretty major scratch, and a line/scuff across the back of the trunk that goes away after washing and reappears.

1. Use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

2. Use Ultimate Compound or ScratchX to remove fine scratches. Do I also need to use clay?

3. Use Ultimate Polish. Is this necessary after using Ultimate Compound/ScratchX?

4. Use Ultimate Liquid Wax, Ultimate Fast Finish, or some other wax. What is recommended?

Thanks for the time and help.
Congrats on the new Passat and I look forward to seeing the post-clean up work :)

In terms of steps, you're on the right track. Here's what I would suggest. First, are you using a polisher or doing things by hand?

Wash and get her fully cleaned up. Pick up some Iron-x or simliar ferous metal removing produts. I like Both Car Pro Iron X and Adam's Iron Remover.....little cheaper per oz, but they are all nearly the same. Spray and use it according to directions (absolutely not in the sun) and rinse. THEN follow up with either Clay Bar or a Nano Mitt/sponge. Use plenty of soapy water with the mitt or details spray/lube with clay bar.

Unless the vehicle is really bad you won't likely need to compound it. All depends on your level of experience with a polisher or if you're doing things with a standard DA. I do detailing and use both rotary and forced oscillation units so they will be easier to correct things with just a 1 step vs if you're using a standard DA Polisher or by hand.

If you are using a compound, stick with Ulitmate Compound. It's very good for an over the counter (OTC) product. Follow that up with Ultimate Polish. Change out your pads with the compound about every panel or two. The hood you'll use 2 minimum, same with roof. With the polish after you won't need to do so nearly as often, perhaps every 2-3 panels.

lastly, in terms of final product to seal it all up, there's thousands. Pick whatever you really like or have on hand and focus more on the correction for now. Most sealants will only last you a few months at which point you can work on making a more refined selection. Can't go wrong with the Meg's products.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Hit me up via PM anytime too. out of respect to not post here as I'm a detailer but this isn't my sponsored forum and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share details publicly.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If I have just a few minor scratches, is it enough to use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish? How about the line that I would describe as a discolored line that vanishes when wet?
Yep. Just keep in mind, swirls vs scratches or RIDS. Don't go trying to chase every last scratch on the vehicle. Not only will you go nuts but it's just not worth it to sacrifice clear coat protection for the sake of perfection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.