VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

pros and cons of chipping

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Blade 
#1 ·
I was wondering what the pros and cons were for chipping a new car such as the passat besides. As I write this question, I realize that I really want to know if chipping will add increase wear and tear to the car/engine in the longrun, lower fuel economy, etc.
Also, what are the detriments of swapping the stock ECU with the aftermarket ECU when I go into the dealer. Will constantly swapping the ECU damage one of them?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: pros and cons of chipping (daxiang28)

About fuel economy, chipping is supposed to improve it by 2 or 3 mpg. My car isn't chipped, but I believe that most of those who have chipped their cars have reported figures in that range.
Regarding engine life, it is most likely going to cause a bit of harm there. The chip reprograms your car to increase the turbo boost, which will directly place more stress on the engine and the turbo. So you might need a new turbo sooner (unless you get a K04
) and the engine might not last as long in general, though that's hard to say.
I'm not sure if you can swap ECU's, but I did hear a story of someone on this forum who chipped his car and tried to replace the stock ECU for a dealer visit, and the car wouldn't start. However, the car started again when he replaced the aftermarket chip. Something funny going on there...

#6 ·
Re: pros and cons of chipping (bac)

quote:[HR][/HR]If you buy an APR chip with EMCS, ECU swapping will be a thing of the past.

How much is your time worth?
http://www.goapr.com

[Modified by Electron Man, 9:48 AM 11-30-2001]
Can you explain further?? ThanX!![HR][/HR]​

I will since I have it, you hold down the cruise control button for 5 seconds, you check engine light will begin to fash once a second for 5 seconds, this means that you are in program #1 as of the moment, program #1 is stock mode so allyou do is let go of the cruise control and program #1 is activated and stock boost levels are retained therefore keeping you passat from scaring the crap out of the VW techs and allowing you to keep your warranty
. Now, your car is done being serviced, and you fell like hauling some ass, hold down the cruise control button once again, the light will once again begin to flash once a second for 5seconds, however, this time keep it held, you check engine light then begins to flash twice a second, for 5 seconds, just release your cruise control while you check engine light is still flashing twice, and then hold on, because its chip time baby! I have been serviced 2 times with the APR, so far so good, nothing short of taking your ecu out and opening it up can give you away, and no one will do that unless you REALLY piss them off by like sleeping with their sister or something
. Anyways, check my sig for 1/4 mile times with an APR and a decent 60', I might be going to the track tonight to run my car, but I will most likely be running my friends A4 with APR race program and race gase, I hope to put it into mid 14's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.