VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Looking at a 2008 Wagon 2.0T (FWD), most likely going to pick it up in a few days unless I'm opening myself up to a headache. I've searched around for a few hours now on reviews, TSB's, buyers guides etc. Im finding conflicting info so I'm seeking help to clarify what I'm finding. Some reviews are rave and people have great things to say, fun to drive, well built... others are saying, worst car ever, never buying another VW again. So whats the real deal?

Quick info worth noting...

1. GF had a 1999 Passat 1.8t that I did the maintenance on, so I have basically owned one before :laugh:. Did the timing belt service on it, had another weird thing happen with the HVAC control. Replaced it with a used one after some trouble shooting and fixed the problem. So what I'm saying is I have the tools and ability to do maintenance up to the "timing belt level". I've only owned Hondas in recent years, so I'm spoiled as far as having to do much beyond oil changes lately. I don't mind working on my car, but, the repairs that extended beyond a few hours I'm hoping are not a regular thing. (Also, this one has records that show TB service was done recently, so that is check marked for a while)

2. Only thing I plan to do to this car is wheels and stance, and those might not be until next year at the earliest, as it has brand new tires. ZERO plans to modify the engine. Perhaps a tune is the extent of my mod plans, if thats even considered a mod. So I have no interest in upping the performance if that's something that creates problems for many, it should not be a factor for me.

So my question is are there some typical things to check/look for when buying? I am the type that tests every button and function possible when looking at the car. Which I did read was suggested. As this will be the newest car i've ever owned, there are twice as many electronics as I'm used to on this thing. Beyond that though, is there a "If you buy a B6 Passat, you will be fixing this, this and this" list?

Any other suggestions, tips or comments I didn't specifically cover are welcomed as well!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Timing belt, depending on the km.

Cam follower. Look it up. HPFP. Camshaft. I bought mine from VW, they never checked it. $3000 later...I'll never let that happen again.

It's pretty much like any other car. Mine's rusting in a few places too so keep an eye out for bubbles in the paint in the wheel wells and on the doors/fenders.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,828 Posts
2008 is a split year between the EA113 engine and the later, EA888 engine.

the EA113 (early 2008, FSI-turbo) has its issue with the cam follower, which needs regular replacement. Of course, timing belt needs to be replaced every 100,000 miles. I'm at 204,000 miles right now.

the EA888 has its own issues as well, different issues from the EA113.... which the engine cover says TSI

of course, both engines have the intake valve buildup issue, which basically requires pulling the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My 08 Sedan with 2.0T (TSI) 125K has been a great car up to 5 weeks ago when #2 cylinder valve spring broke and valve dropped and got bent, spent the money and got rebuilt including replacing the timming chain and related components because it is a great car and with suspension mods and APR Tune a fun car to drive.

I have owned many VW's and never had an engine self destruct like this but owning VW's is a Love/Hate relationship .

Look car over carefully for rust bubbling up in seams and around molding and door handles which is typical in 07/08's in NE, had hood, front fenders and both doors replaced and painted under VW warranty which was very lucky for me!

Can you get service records?

Has the oil always been changed with VW spec synthetic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definitely keep the cam pieces in mind.

If i remember correctly, VW has a 12 year rust/corrosion warranty, yes? I will give a thorough look over for that. Especially panel seams and wheel wells.

The dirty valves I actually won't mind doing. Im a bit of a clean freak, so that should be therapeutic in a way :screwy:

The TB and water pump were done about 20k ago, so those things should be good for a couple years for me. He said he has thorough file of the maintenance done over the years. And he specifically mentioned full synthetic only changes being done.

So far nothing else I've come across is making me weary about the car. I am going to check costs on the cam things, just to have a reference as far as costs to consider in the near future, unless those things happen to have been done and documented in his service records he has. I did get him to blurt out where he has his maintenance done, so I called the place and they knew who I was talking about before I even mentioned his name. He said the gentleman has always stayed on top of the repairs and maintenance, and always with them.

Keep the info coming if anyone else has more input for me, and thanks so far to those who have posted.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cam follower is cheap - about $50 so I would throw it in your 30k interval services. Just a fuel line and a couple bolts to remove the fuel pump. Timing belt, thermostat may get stuck open and need to be replaced. Not a hard job but time consuming because of its awkward location. If you do the intake job yourself you might as well replace the thermostat because it'll be much easier to access. Keep up with the tranny fluid. Every now and then the 09G trans valve body will fail causing hard shifts and flare shifts. Not a hard job either but it requires patience and about $800 for a rebuilt valve body. Other than your other typical wear and tear that should be about it. I love mine. Currently having a weird A/C issue that only occurs on long trips so I need to sort that out...

·
Registered
422 Posts
FSI sucks down oil. Typically 1 quart every 1,000 miles. It's in the manual.

Also, CV boots are known to tear alot so check those.

We love ours. Had the timing belt done at 93k, and haven't had any real issues. Just a few niggly little things.

The oil consumption took some getting used to, but I just keep an eagle eye on it and all seems good.

These cars are incredibly well built and so smooth on the highway. I absolutely love driving our wagon.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am nearing the first 5K oil change. Going to do the cam follower then. It will be 120K mark. The belt and tensioner were done at 110K. Everything looks very clean and well maintained. CV boots are always something to watch as was mentioned. Good thread for us new owners with high mileage cars. This one seems to be absolutely beautiful. Friends have said it looks like a car commercial..lolol. There are good threads about tranny fluid change and the like. Heres looking at you and all the forum.:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.