VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Re: PROTON car brand (TRYNTRUEA2)

malaysian company which owns lotus (or is that changed now).
Anyhow we only get a few of their cars here, the Wira and the Satria.
Most interesting car thus far has been the Proton Satria Gti. With lotus tuned suspension and a 105kw 1.8 litre, its not that special and looks like ass(in my opinion) but they have a loyal following out there. They arent particularly light either. Would do much better with a peugeot 206gti for around the same money. Or spring for that Renault clio sport!
As far as i know, there are no turbo models in the proton range.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Re: PROTON car brand (Mark at farm)

hehehe... proton.
think 10 year old mitsubishi designs and you are getting warm.
the satria gti might handle OKAY (certainly not as good as french machinery)... but it looks terrible, is coarse, slow, built poorly and is pricey for what u get.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Re: PROTON car brand (slimmy)

We had them here for a while, too. Basically old Mitsubishi Colts and Lancers. They were selling on price alone, and when Proton Malaysia wanted more money, the local importer pulled the plug. They didn´t sell many anyway, virtually no advertising and dated products just don´t cut it.
They have a new car in Malaysia (and also the UK) caleed Waja (different name in the UK), which they developed on their own. This should be an improvement.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: PROTON car brand (Taimar2)

Proton is moving away from cheap appliances and more into competitive cars with the Satria GTi and Waja (which are a BIG improvement). Though I think it's silly for Proton here to tout them as an "Asian BMW"

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: PROTON car brand (David Votoupal)

Proton is trying to follow the direction similar to what Hyundai does. However, they still have a long way to go. Hyundai is able to develop their engines nowaday and its quality control is also doesn't too shabby.
Judging from the interior quality of the Waja, Proton needs another 5 years to match Hyundai.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts