VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you EV heads out there!
I was fortunate enough to participate recently in a MARKET FACTS evaluation held in Long Beach, CA for the upcoming new Multivan! It was a beautiful vehicle both outside and especially inside. I defintely think VW's got a real winner with this one.
The interior has been totally redesigned with just about all my gripes about the current one I own (2002 EV MV) addressed. From the dash integrating a tiptronic shifter to a design flow that reflects the new generation of VW's. The center console actually incorporated a pod that had cup holders at steering wheel level and a useable glove box on the passenger side!
The passenger cabin had the MV seating arrangement but there are now aluminum tracks on the floor that allows better mobility for all the much improved seats as well as a center pod that is discreetly tucked until the need for the round table and cup holders. You simply raise the brushed steel retracting pedestal from within that reveals this very clever feature. Great use of the useless space under the seats now have sliding bins. There are even retracting mesh screens for privacy that you find in most luxury vehicles.
The front end clearly has a very EURO look with updated styling of dual round headlights and fogs underneath. I also saw the area where high pressure headlight washers would pop out from the 1 piece front end. The back end had subtle changes that was only highlighted by cleaner tail lenses. 17" Estemo (OEM) wheels and front roof mount BMW style antenna round out the exterior. It was presented with a classy metallic gold paint and the earth tone color interior like the AAC Concept Truck. Fit and finish was excellent. I was told it was only a prototype but the researchers needed our feedback on what options found in the EV Camper would be most attractive as a package which they also had in a separate area hidden from the rest of the cars being evaluated.
I was not allowed to bring cameras or even my cell phone inside the vehicle area so I can only commit to memory what is to be my next automobile for the family.
I also participated in a focus group where the moderator proceeded to tell us that VW is considering producing them in Turbo Diesel engines along with 4-Motion Trannys. Is that icing on the cake or what!!!
I wish you all could have seen it but I'm sure it won't be long now. The researchers could not reveal how soon VW will replace the current EV.
So there.

[Modified by familyhaul, 11:46 PM 8-4-2002]

[Modified by familyhaul, 11:47 PM 8-4-2002]

· Registered
17,934 Posts
Re: Prototype Multivan Evaluation (MeineFolks'wagen)

quote:[HR][/HR]When you say Multivan, do you mean the new Microbus or a new version of the Eurovan? Not familiar with the term "Multivan".[HR][/HR]​
Probably a new version of the Eurovan.
Overseas these vehicles wear various badges, one of them being "Multivan" (actually all spelled out). Our Eurovan MV is our equivalent of the Multivan (MV = Multivan).

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Prototype Multivan Evaluation (gti_matt)

Yes, it is actually a new version of the existing Eurovan which is also marketed in Europe with a nomenclature Multivan which I'm assuming (based on a digital photo taken by someone from this forum) is a Synchro TDI. The main difference is the all new design both inside and out. And as far as a manual tranny, the prototype I saw unfortunately was only a tiptronic version. This prototype had a MULTIVAN badge at the rear along with a VR6. Specs showed to us stated 230HP with torque to match.

· Registered
1 Posts
Re: Prototype Multivan Evaluation (familyhaul)

Familyhaul, thanks for posting your MV tour. I thought that VW has haulted production on the EuroVan and that 2003 will be the last year for it be sold here in the US. Is this not the case anymore or was that news for just the current EV design? We're thinking about getting the 2003 model if it has any refinements over the 2002. But if there's a new redesigned EV coming out that's not the Microbus that everyone's talking about, maybe we'll wait.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Prototype Multivan Evaluation (davers42)

davers42,
I cannot confirm whether or not 2003 is the last year for the EV but judging from what I saw at the Market Facts research, the redesigned Eurovan or Multivan is going to be another vehicle marketed towards a demographic that will consist mainly of people like us that want something different from an Odyssey or Caravan. I would suggest waiting just like I will be. It seemed almost certain that they will be going through with this new model which is essentially a very cool redesign of the current EV. I can assure you that all the improvements are well worth the wait.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
934 Posts

I had always thought that we'd see the T5 only in camper form, and that the Sharan II or Microbus would be the passenger minivan type vehicle. But seeing as how they have a real niche with the MV and campers, it would make sense for them to continue to offer this vehicle.
They must have future plans for the Transporter here, or they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of marketing the lower priced 2002 - 2003 Eurovans here. They certainly weren't making any profit on them at the adjusted prices.
I hope they offer not only the new MV here, but also a standard wheelbase full camper. Hopefully they get Westfalia or Reimo to do the camper. They Winnies just aren't as nice.

· Registered
7,001 Posts

I think familyhaul saw the T5. From what I´ve read so far the T5 won´t be much of a change from the T4 lookswise. And they for sure won´t do a facelift on the T4 since the T5 will definitely comes out soon.
And VW doing marketing studies on the T5 in the US also makes a lot of sense to me. Since the Microbus is around the corner, VW probably wants to know if it´s worth the hassle certifying the T5 for the US market.

[Modified by Eolair, 5:31 PM 8-10-2002]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.