VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's interesting seeing cars we are familiar during the productions stages, showing alternative designs and solutions that was considered. This tread is for that. Feel free to post any sketches or photos of prototypes you have found.

Lets start with these design sketches of the Toyota 2000gt.

Design sketches:

And a protoype:

Your turn! :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
I don't know who ever designed the 2000 GT was thinking by using those big ugly lamps up front? :facepalm: I can spot a 2000 GT a mile away because of them, but still they're about as attractive as zits.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know who ever designed the 2000 GT was thinking by using those big ugly lamps up front? :facepalm: I can spot a 2000 GT a mile away because of them, but still they're about as attractive as zits.
I don't mind them to be honest. Quite distinctive at least.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another '60s classic gt: The Iso Grifo. Here in prototype form.

Sketch:

Final product (not sure how familar people are with the car):

The lightweight racer prototype called the A3C.

This later become the Bizzarrini 5300 strada:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
FV-QR

Corrado:

Early designs look more like an Isuzu Piazza :screwy:

Closer to production, albeit wearing a Scirocco badge :laugh:

Properly taking shape:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T, 2013 Ford Escape SE
4,213 Posts
1962 design proposal for a Porsche four dour saloon by Ghia. It would take 47 years until Porsche actually went ahead and built one themself though. ;)

Looks like a Corvair with the sloping roofline and trunk of a '73 Grand Am. The Panamera looks like the best design ever in comparison.

Design proposals for the 1994 Mustang (from 1990):

"Rambo" This porridge is too hot!

"Jenner" This porridge is too cool...

"Schwarzenegger" This porridge is just right!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a alternative driving light design fro the 2000gt. You can also see them on the prototype above. I think these are quite elegant.

And a alternative rear end design. Less successful imho.

More info here: http://www.2000gt.net/index.php

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
This has potential for epic thread honors. The design process is THE most fascinating and absorbing part of the whole automotive experience for me. The great designers are my heroes, of a sort. They are truly artists, and their works are practical, moveable art for all the world to use and enjoy. Over the years, two publications...Hemmings Special-Interest Autos magazine, and Collectible Automobile magazine, have provided deep and thorough coverage of this subject, and I recommend anyone interested in seeing "what might have been", along with "what never was" when it comes to cars to look into these two GREAT publications (Special-Interest Autos has evolved into today's Hemmings Classic Car, btw). CA magazine in particular has taken on the task of regularly interviewing the great designers (frequently and thankfully just a few years or even months before their deaths), and showcasing their works through archival photographs. If you're even a little bit excited by the "styling" of cars, this stuff is mind-blowing. For every one of the thousands of models that make it to the world's showrooms, there were at least dozens, and sometimes a hundred or even more, proposals, and even prototypes that were rejected on the way to the final production iteration. Seeing just the process of finalizing the GRILLE design on so many cars, through the design studio's photos of the clays and the renderings, is often fascinating. I always find myself thinking; "Why didn't they choose THAT version instead of the production one?", because to my eyes the rejected design was so much more attractive. It's also very interesting to hear the stories these designers tell in their interviews, and to find out the "nuts and bolts" details of the design process, and sometimes the political battles that took place in those studios amongst the principals on the way to achieving the final production version of a model. These people had their hearts and souls invested in their ideas, and fought hard to get them approved, and rejection was a bitter pill to swallow for them, of course. They are just really interesting people, as most artists usually are.

People like, for example, Chuck Jordan of GM. He was responsible for SO MANY of the cars, and more importantly the worldwide TRENDS in design that we now admire and honor:

Larry Shinoda, first of Packard, then GM, then finally at Ford. His career is full of surprises, and you'd be amazed at the variety of GREAT achievements of this tremendous artist and enthusiast, from handsome Packards, to the original Corvette Sting Ray, to the Boss series Mustangs, and dozens in-between:

Then there is Virgil Exner. His career and achievements fill entire books, and rightly so:

My personal favorite automotive designer is Gordon M. Buehrig, simply because he designed, by himself, the most beautiful thing ever to roll on four wheels, the Cord 810/812:

I hope this thread evolves into something very nice. :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some sketches of the Lamborghini Muira. Giorgetto Giugiaro and Marcello Gandini are currently fighting about who deserve the credit for the shape. Giugiaro claims that he designed 70% of the final with its general proportions before leaving Bertone. Gandini claims it his design and he have traditionally been credited as the cars designer.

The two first sketches are credited to Giugiaro. I believe the last two are Gandinis.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bentley Burma protoypes. Meant as a entry level Bentley. The project was later scrapped and Bentley instead got a badge-engineered version of the Silver Shadow, which was based on a Rolls Royce project called Tibet. Here are a couple of Bentley Burma picutres.

Clay model:

Prototype:

Testing of another prototype:

Crash testing:

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Not terribly surprising, considering that the Piazza's concept was a proposed redesign for the (2nd gen, IIRC) Scirocco in the first place. Isuzu took it after VW passed.
Common misconception. The Piazza was always going to be an Isuzu. They commissioned it from the start with Giugiaro.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
1 - 20 of 433 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.