VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (Magnums) ever made

The 2 rarest Corrados ever built will be coming to America!
I recently completed negotiating the purchase of both of the Corrado Magnum - Sport Kombi's from Germany. These 2 VW Prototypes were both built by Marold Automobil GmbH for VW so that VW could determine if they were going to put them into production. VW ultimately decided against producing them and Marold tried selling the 2 cars and all technical data for 3.2 Million DM's. Since then the cars have been in storage at Marold.
VW has expressed interest in having one car in the VW museum so I may only bring one car to the US for now.
Many thanks to Vortex Member Torsten for posting the FS link on vortex.
Enjoy the pics:

Fixed image links.

Modified by zero9nine at 10:25 PM 3-2-2010

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (Chud19)

my apologies if the pics are not working. I can see them fine on my computer. I'll fix them asap!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (Torsten)

Quote, originally posted by Torsten »
yep http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Torsten,
Thanks so much for your intial post. I owe you a beer.
Are you in Holland? These cars may be in Holland soon prior to the trip to the US. My father is from Alkmaar, and I have family in the area.
JOhn

Modified by zero9nine at 12:34 PM 2-12-2007

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (Torsten)

I will probably just have them shipped, but I may bring them to Holland first. If I do I will visit them in Holland.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (brilliantyellowg60)

Quote, originally posted by brilliantyellowg60 »
yeah you are going to have to explain how you are importing these
i'll believe it when i see the car on US soil with a valid Registration

I spoke with the head of the DOT deptarment responsible for approving and disapproving cars for importation. Because these cars are Prototypes and only 2 exist they can be allowed into the US under the "Show & Display" specifications. They must still meet US emissions standards but this gentleman I spoke with told me he asked around the approval committee and felt I will not have an issue getting approval. I still need to file a formal application and proposal.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (vdubjb)

Quote, originally posted by vdubjb »
Jesus John.
. What are you going to do, open up a museum to finance the racing career?

If I built a museum, I'd probably be the only paying customer.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (tachycardia)

Quote, originally posted by tachycardia »
How do you go about buying a 15-year-old prototype from VW?
Irrespective of your answer, congrats.

I bought these directly from the builder, not VW. VW is considering "borrowing" one for their Mueseum.
John

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Re: (Scuba2001)

Hello All, I haven't been getting the email update about this thread.
The cars are doing very well. I recently moved them from Germany to Holland where they are in storage in my Cousins wherehouse. I will be making a trip to Holland soon to visit them. My Dad was just there and said they look great.
I've been waaay too busy with work and racing to begin the importation process with the USDOT. I need to apply with them for permission to bring them in under their "Show and Display" regulations. I was already given a verbal approval but still need to formally apply.
I may have some new pictures taken and post them here.
John

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (paste)

Yes, I am still on here. For some reason I stopped getting emails notifying me when someone responded to this thread.
I have some additional pics of the cars on my home PC taken just before they left Germany for Holland. The cars are in Holland in my Cousins Factory waiting for me to ship them over here. I have been too busy to begin the application process to bring them stateside although I recently began speaking with some brokers etc. about getting the ball rolling again.
This is what I've been busy with in the meantime:
http://www.P1-MotorSports.com
I recently bought a house so I decided not to race Pro this year. Sticking with regionals with a bunch of old CCA (yes Corrado Club of America) friends.
As soon as these cars are stateside I'll be sure to post up lots of pics.
Till then, Thanks for your interest.
John

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (JcD20vt)

Got some bad news today about the Corrado's both were denied access to the US by the NHTSA. I am exploring other options including selling them on the International Market.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Re: (Rento_VW)

These are the most recent images taken a few weeks back for the NHTSA application. Mostly of the interiors as per their request.

I love the 80's stlye cell phone. Direct link to Wolfsburg.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Re: (G0to60)

Their is no formal process for appeal. Their may be some other options that I am willing to explore. Most will cost more money. I may decide to sell one of the 2 and keep one in Holland, register it there and enjoy it when I visit my family.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (JamesS)

Quote, originally posted by JamesS »
So what happened to them? Someone should import them to Canada

I've thought about that. After being denied by the US NHTSA I may keep them in Europe.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Re: Proud new owner of the 2 rarest Corrado (TheBurninator)

Quote, originally posted by TheBurninator »
why did you bump this thread again if you didn't get the cars?

I already own them. I was recently denied the ability to bring them into the US.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.