VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
221 - 240 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts
and what about what happened with the grey imports? (like the skylines.. werent they confiscated?)
Those were imported as parts cars and reassembled. Not grey market at all. They were trying to find away around the law and it failed.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
...You can easily swap the US seatbelts and headlights onto the car along with dash and kneebars...
The Europeans have been doing that for quite some time anyway :sly: :screwy:....:p

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts
The Europeans have been doing that for quite some time anyway :sly: :screwy:....:p
Yeah... I never understood that mentality with those parts :banghead:

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
These cars NEED to be imported to Canada asap. 100% legal and they could still drive in the states for trips or shows.
Wouldn't you need to a resident? I don't think anyone can just go to Canada and register a car. IMO, i don't think it's worth the hassle.
I think the best route is to wait for the 25 yr mark rather then going through a schit load of stuff (i.e. strip it and ship as parts)

And the OP must have some serious money to buy 2 cars that will only get driven when visiting family. I guess a poor man like me would sleep in something like these if i spent that kinda cash.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
this is WAAAAY to much hassle for 2 ugly @ss cars and some cool points.... :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

·
Registered
11,744 Posts
John -

Long shot, but you could try getting ahold of Bill Gates through the publicity department at Microsoft.

He really wanted a Porsche 959 in the states, and encouraged congress to pass some law allowing the importation of rare/curio/historically significant vehicles, so he could bring it in. And he did so.

He is a car guy, and if you can get to him via channels, he may be willing to assist in at least providing you the info on the paperwork to get an otherwise non-importable car here and registered legally.

221 - 240 of 376 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.