VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 months and 3 grand deep in my Rabbit project, I decided the car wasn't for me.
I thought about it long and hard and went back to my root desire to own a mark 1 Scirocco, thinking I could still roll over the bulk of the parts I had acquired.
Not too pretty, but besides bodywork, I have all my parts to finish the car. It was a 79' Callaway that was stripped of all its "callaway-ness" I'm sure the 16v will make a nice addition however.

Only a few pics for now. I can't really a promise a "build thread" since I go to school and run out of money fast, but there will be updates ... frequent ones? I can't promise. Anyways, glad to join the ranks finally!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Re: Proud new owner. (Mstadt)

Quote, originally posted by Mstadt »
After 6 months and 3 grand deep in my Rabbit project, I decided the car wasn't for me.
I thought about it long and hard and went back to my root desire to own a mark 1 Scirocco,
...Only a few pics for now. I can't really a promise a "build thread" since I go to school and run out of money fast, but there will be updates ... frequent ones? I can't promise. Anyways, glad to join the ranks finally!

That engine and transmission should look Awesome in that Mk 1, welcome to the family.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Re: (MeCarTay)

Good foundation for a MK1 . Parts (body/trim) are not easy to find, but if you stick around on the 'Tex it can be invaluable. Welcome to the board! It can be a friendlier place than the Mk1 gti board . Your car looks like it is Indian Red in color, yes? I have a '79 in that color.
nice BBS RM! What are the rim sizes?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Re: Proud new owner. (power_house)

Quote, originally posted by power_house »
Also: i really have to bitch about that shift knob, i know you didnt put it there but. . .

Well, if he's gonna bitch about the shift handle (Bitchin' Camaro)
I'm gonna flag the nob radio....

I guess we can laugh now, since I'm sure that it's all coming out.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Re: Proud new owner. (Throttlepimp)

first congrats on the Scirocco, it looks very nice
did you get rid of the Callaway goods or were they already taken off before you bought it.
I am looking for some Callaway parts.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Proud new owner. (power_house)

Quote, originally posted by power_house »
not bad, i really love the motor though, whats that painted with?
Also: i really have to bitch about that shift knob, i know you didnt put it there but. . .

It's painted simply with rattle can high temp engine paint ... if you look close you can tell the valve cover is flat brown, which is what the Rabbit was going to be painted.

The BBS RMs currently are the stock size. I have two 2" image lips ready to make them 15x8s, and I plan to test fit those on the front and back to see what kind of set-up I want to run, be it staggered or what.

Yes, the dash is incredible shape for its age!
HURST shifter has got to go though, I agree. I have an old wooden MOMO one and a matching wheel from my old MG that should find its way into the project.

And regaurding the Callaway stuff, I bought the car from a guy who collects Callaway cars/parts, so all of that stuff was removed from the car ... I am trying to find info on a Callaway 16v valve cover though (don't think there is such an animal), although it wouldn't be OEM, it would still be my way of having something Callaway in there. ... He told me the "turbo" on the rear hatch was hand pinstriped by Reeves himself so I don't think I have the heart to sandblast that ... I may have to save that as a piece of mk1 art for the living room.

Modified by Mstadt at 5:02 AM 10-31-2006

Modified by Mstadt at 5:09 AM 10-31-2006

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.