VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an "easy" way to get the thermostat out on a PS equipped car? It looks like a pain!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: PS and the T-Stat (vdubturbo)

Umm, it's a bit of a pain. Just drop the bracket for the PS pump and move the pump out of the way. There are a couple of 13mm head bolts that you'll need an extension to get to right below the water pump, but other than that, it's straight forward.
Cheers,
Pat

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,276 Posts
Re: PS and the T-Stat (Patrick Schmidt)

YES YES YES...this is just the topic I wanted to see. Can you describe where these bolts are that you need an extension for? I will be trying this job for the 3rd time tomorrow and I want to finally do it!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Re: PS and the T-Stat (3WheelGTi)

On the back end of the ps pump there is a 12 or 13mm bolt that you need to use a 12" extension to reach. You can't see it, you need to feel your way.

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,276 Posts
Re: PS and the T-Stat (erupert)

when you say back end, you mean like going towards the rear of the car, right? how many bolts are there until the bracket drops exactly? i can get the 2 (on very bottom) off very easily, but after that, i get stuck.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: PS and the T-Stat (3WheelGTi)

He means back as in behind the pump, in other words on the right side as you look at the pump from the front of the car. It's 13mm, just like all the other ones (AFAIK only Japanese cars use 12mm bolt heads). It's on top of the PS pump, under the water pump, and you can't see it, but you can get on it with a socket on an extension-I use two standard 3/8" drive extensions. Also, there are bolts you can't get off unless you remove the PS pulley. Once you know how it goes it's not too bad, about 15 minutes to remove. Good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: PS and the T-Stat (Dubai Vol)

I will try to tell you how to do this. First you want to remove the bolt at the very top the 7" one, that goes through the bracket that holds the AC compressor and alt.
Then you want to remove the two bolts that attach it to the block. They are next to the oil filter kinda. Then there will be one bolt that is holding the bracket on the pully side of the pump to the bracket on the block. Remove this and the pump should fall down. BTW all the bolts nuts on the ps pump are 13mm aside from the pully bolts which are hex keys. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts