VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question for all you Pss9 owners out there. Did you use the Aluminium Spacers from the stock suspension?
Actually I have one more question for you, how much of a "Positive Click" does your Damper Adjusters give you? Mine is a bit hard to tell when you have "clicked" into the next setting.
Thanks much for your info!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: PSS9 Install Question (inspleak)

i didnt use the aluminum spacer, bilsteins piece seats the bearing just fine without it.. and no, the clicks for the dial are not very defined.
post up your opinions of the pss9's once you get them installed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool.. I didn't use the spacers either

So far they have exceeded my expectations in comfort. The day I got them on I tried full soft and full stiff during the day. On both settings the car seemed to "bounce" out sync between the front and the back. So I played with the settings some more during the week. Here is what I came up with:
When the Rear is as stiff or stiffer than the front, the car "pitches", and that gets rather annoying, especially here in michigan.
When the Rear is at least 1 click or more softer than the front the pitching is gone and the ride is way more comfortable than any other coilover car I have been in. (Have some friends with Japanese Cars)
It seems that the trade off is Understeer. I haven't had any time on the track yet with this setup, but it feels like when the rear is softer than the front understeer is greater. So I figure I will just change that up for the track and then change it back when I'm done.
So far so good. I was really unsure if I should even get coilovers because I do drive a good ways to work and back every day. However I am quite pleased with the performance and level of comfort. They react to small cracks and bumps quite well (don't really feel them in the car but you can hear them) And it handles the Rolling bumps in the black top better than I had expected especially with the rear being softer than the front.
It is also worth mentioning that I do have a 28mm rear sway bar with this setup. That may have some bearing on my dampening settings. Anyone running these without a RSB?
Ok 2 more questions for you all:
1)How important are the front caps for the Adjustment knob? I have a hard time getting them back on without chaning the adjustment.
2) I noticed that on the rear dampers at the bottom there seems to be a "floating" metal piece under the rubber dust cover. When I hit sharp bumps at a slow enough speed they sort of rattle back there. Sounds like if you had a washer on a bolt that wasn't tightend down enough. Anyone else get this?
Thanks guys! Please let me know what you think about all of this.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pss9

Hi, I was waiting until I got back from a day at the autoX.
I didn't get a chance to run different settings for the different laps. (Had other obligations later) but I ran Full Stiff in the rear, and 6 (3 steps stiffer than full soft) in the front.
The body roll was way more under control, when I turned, the car kept up. It felt much more confidant comming out of corners.
I still had understeer issues. Now I will be the first to say that I am very much an amateur driver, but the stock Continental ContiTouring All Season tires, just don't have the grip i'm looking for.
So Next up Tires (and as much practice as I can get it)
Any Suggestions?

Modified by inspleak at 8:05 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: Pss9 (inspleak)

its good to hear that you are enjoying your coilovers. i need to play around with the dampening a little more (right now im running 8 in front, 9 in back and its STIFF).
as far as the little rubber caps to the adjustment knobs, you could always try heating them up a little bit to soften them, and then try pushing them on. i suppose they're just a little more 'protection' from corrosion. i just cleaned my coilovers during my 'spring-cleaning' fest, and there was soo much crap and buildup. it took a long time to clean everything up with a wire brush, so ill give a little suggestion: keep those threads lubricated with anti-seize. adjust the height and make sure you keep all of the threads clean.
the metal piece floating around in the rear shocks
i have no idea, sorry
as for tires, i just got some falken azenis sports. if you dont mind an even more stiff ride, then i highly recommend them. best tires i have ever driven on. the tread wear isnt the best, but they make driving sooooooooo fun

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Pss9 (timetravel)

I know what you mean with the washer chinging around in the rear under the dust cover. Mine 337 w/ new pss9's does it too.
The washer is there to seat/catch the rubber bump stop above it. Once the bump stop gets pushed down by a big bump it should quiet down. You can pull the bump stop down your self , just feel for it in the blue dust cover and pull it down being carful not to damage the cover.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Pss9 (botttos)

TimeTravel: Thanks for the tip. I was going to put the anti-sieze on before the install but I couldn't find any place with it in stock the day I put them on (thats what procrastination gets you) So I'm going to have to do it with them on..
as far as tires I have heard those are great tires! I was also looking at the Toyo T1-S. Anyone with experience with those?
Botttos: Thanks for the info, I will have to try that this weekend. Thanks guys!
Any other tire opinions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts