VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would give something back for all the info I have gleaned off the forums.
I finally got around to making a set of removal tools and took out the new double-DIN CD/Cassette in my 2002 GTI w/Monsoon
Here's some pics:-

(All the bottom wires go to the cd-changer socket)

[Modified by UKAUSSI, 12:09 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (UKAUSSI)

I am looking into switching out my 02 double din CD also and I was wondering what you were going to replace it with? Do you think that it is possible that a single din can easily go back in there with the cubby hole tray? or would it be easier to put in a Double Din, any special way of wiring a new Head Unit for the Monsoon sound system?
Your info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (vw2.0gti)

I have spent a lot of time over the past couple of days looking through the forums as well as the web sites of Crutchfield and Blaupunkt. What I found was that the Blaupunkt was the easiest to install (plugs are mostly the same on the back and it works withe the Monsoon) although not the best quality. Most people were very happy with the upgrade and found that it sounded better than the OEM unit and improved the sound from the Monsoon also.
I think I am going to go with a Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD51 as the unit is black (same as my dash) and the color scheme matches at night. (SEE other post below)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=136638
One of the reasons for switching is that I wanted the extra DIN space for a boost guage and maybe oil temp and EGT guages. I think I would need to have a single DIN cage though but haven't got that far yet.
Can anyone else help

[Modified by UKAUSSI, 11:06 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
62 Posts

Same here... what do we need for a single install?

Does anyone know if Crutchfield has an adapter for the 2002 Double Din Plug (as I have been reading that it is different somehow)?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (SantaCruz SL)

And which wire is the "K-wire" that the dealer is fussing about not changing the factory radio because of their VAG tool.

·
Registered
239 Posts

UKAUSSI,
I HAVE A QUESTION THAT I HOPE THAT YOU CAN ANSWER. IF I WANTED TO WIRE UP A STEREO JACK (FOR A MP3 PLAYER) TO THE CD CHANGER CONNECTION. I SEE WHERE IN THE WIRING DIAGRAM THAT IT SHOWS LEFT AND RIGHT INPUTS, BUT WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO ACTIVATE THE CD CHANGER FUNCTION? DO I HAVE TO JUMP A WIRE TO MAKE IT ACTIVE? TO MAKE THE RADIO THINK THAT THERE IS A CD CHANGER CONNECTED? HOW WOULD I WIRE SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sorry, but as far as I am aware you cannot use these controls as they are VERY specific. Only a couple of CD-changers other than OEM will work. I maybe wrong as I am not an audiophile but 99% sure.
If you want to hook up MP3 etc I suggest getting a different HU which has those inputs. To get an idea look on the Blaupunkt website, this will tell you which units have aux inputs etc. http://www.blaupunktusa.com/receivers/receivers_index.html
Also, there are many other makes of HU that will also work but I have not got that far yet.
My next step is to see if there is a way to filter out the low freq from the signal going from the HU to the Monsoon amp and redirect it to a subwoofer. Can anyone help with this ???

·
Registered
472 Posts

As I already posted before somewhere else, you'll see that the wiring is completely different from the other Monsoons. The pin spacing in these new plugs is different... So you won't be able to hook up the plugs from the Blau or the Metra harness either. So there is no direct fit as we stand, meaning you'll have to cut/splice wires.
UKAUSSI, could you also shoot the antenna plug ? For the record, Bosch has recently introduced (2 weeks ago in Canada) a converter to make the new plug fit the old-style plug.
You'll also see that there are no wires for "dimmer" and "ignition". Those are handled by the CAN & CAN + wires... So the radio receives data now, not signals on wires...
The negative wire speakers are also all black, except for one. The left front wires are inverted (yellow is negative, black positive). My car was also like that.
I was able to replace the double din by a CD51 Heidelberg and a A09 indash cd changer, so I don't think you'll have problems fitin g a single din & tray.

[Modified by newbiewithGTI2002, 5:45 PM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (newbiewithGTI2002)

That is exactly what I was going to put in place of the factory Monsoon Double din.. the A09 in-dash cd changer and the CD51.
1) What did you do with the CAN CAN wires that are used for the VAG signals??
2) Did you have any problems fitting both the CD51 and A09 on top of each other? Did both trim rings from both units fit or did you have to modify them?
3) How did the slip on sleeves hold onto the plastic, are they secure enough to hold both din units?
thanks for the info in advance....

"As I already posted before somewhere else, you'll see that the wiring is completely different from the other Monsoons. The pin spacing in these new plugs is different... So you won't be able to hook up the plugs from the Blau or the Metra harness either. So there is no direct fit as we stand, meaning you'll have to cut/splice wires.
UKAUSSI, could you also shoot the antenna plug ? For the record, Bosch has recently introduced (2 weeks ago in Canada) a converter to make the new plug fit the old-style plug.
You'll also see that there are no wires for "dimmer" and "ignition". Those are handled by the CAN & CAN + wires... So the radio receives data now, not signals on wires... The negative wire speakers are also all black, except for one. The left front wires are inverted (yellow is negative, black positive). My car was also like that.
I was able to replace the double din by a CD51 Heidelberg and a A09 indash cd changer, so I don't think you'll have problems fitin g a single din & tray."

·
Registered
472 Posts

That is exactly what I was going to put in place of the factory Monsoon Double din.. the A09 in-dash cd changer and the CD51.
1) What did you do with the CAN CAN wires that are used for the VAG signals??
- I just left them in the big thing, unplugged. So far, no problems.
2) Did you have any problems fitting both the CD51 and A09 on top of each other? Did both trim rings from both units fit or did you have to modify them?
- No, they fit just right.
3) How did the slip on sleeves hold onto the plastic, are they secure enough to hold both din units?
- They are quite secure, although not enough to my liking. But it'll have to do !
thanks for the info in advance....
You're welcome !

·
Registered
143 Posts
So, it may be possible to replace the double DIN unit with the old style single DIN unit? I pick up my '02 Jetta next week after waiting since August. I had purchased the VW indash Changer which works with the old style single DIN units. The dealer acted like it couldn't be done (replacing the new unit with old + changer), or that if it could it would cost a lot of money because wiring harnesses were different or something. I doubt that they have even looked at it or tried to change anything out, of course. But, doggonit, I wanted this in dash changer, its been sitting around for the past two months waiting for my car! Since I haven't picked up my car yet, I haven't had anyone take a look. Any more thoughts anyone?
TIA,
Vicki

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (vickielman)

quote:[HR][/HR]So, it may be possible to replace the double DIN unit with the old style single DIN unit? I pick up my '02 Jetta next week after waiting since August. I had purchased the VW indash Changer which works with the old style single DIN units. The dealer acted like it couldn't be done (replacing the new unit with old + changer), or that if it could it would cost a lot of money because wiring harnesses were different or something. I doubt that they have even looked at it or tried to change anything out, of course. But, doggonit, I wanted this in dash changer, its been sitting around for the past two months waiting for my car! Since I haven't picked up my car yet, I haven't had anyone take a look. Any more thoughts anyone?
TIA,
Vicki[HR][/HR]​
I am not sure if it will work as apparently the plugs are different.
Take a pic of the back of your in-dash cd and the adapter plug you have and compare against my pic above. Please post it also so we can also compare.

·
Registered
472 Posts

It is feasible, but I never said it was easy or without problems

Right now, my radio is constantly "ON" (since the ignition wire is non-existent) and doesn't dim (ditto). I had to plug the dim, ignition and 12 volt wires on the same B+ wire from the car to make it work. This means shutting the radio down every time or come back to a drained battery ...
I don't think a dealer would let you go with a car like that... They'll have to wait until someone does an interface for these
CAN wires...
I'd skip the VW indash unit and go with a Blau, personnaly. I don't think you'll like the sound of the OEM unit after all (IMHO).

[Modified by newbiewithGTI2002, 5:00 PM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
143 Posts

Yeah, I'll see what I can do as far a pic after I take delivery of my car. I got a call today, and it *may* be ready to go tomorrow, they just needed to install the spoiler I think.
Thanks,
Vicki

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

UKAUSSI: Thanks, your photos answer a question that is sure to come up on the forum...and thats that the double din headunit is made by Panasonic.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (cchristensen)

I knew Matsu****a rang a bell, just couldn't remember who it was

·
Registered
21,472 Posts

UK Aussie:
Thanks very much for taking the pictures and posting them.
I also have a 2002 car, with the same radio as you have. I am in the process of installing my GSM phone in the car, and need to determine if the radio will support the following two functions:
1) Muting of the radio when the phone rings (normally accomplished by grounding out a pin on the radio with a signal from the phone).
2) Input of the sound from the telephone (received signal) to one or more of the speakers in the car.
I earlier made a post to the Car Audio forum, asking about this, and got some very helpful advice from SSheikh, our resident electronics expert, and also EngineerGuy, who works in the mobile phone industry. But, neither of these folks have the new radio.
Have you seen anything on your ("our") radio that looks like it would support these functions? Perhaps best to post your reply on the original thread, which is at this link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=148463&postid=1202799#1202799
Best Regards, Michael

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (newbiewithGTI2002)

newbiewithGTI2002
Can you please post pictures of your installation of the CD51 and A09 CD changer in the dash?
thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]UKAUSSI,
I HAVE A QUESTION THAT I HOPE THAT YOU CAN ANSWER. IF I WANTED TO WIRE UP A STEREO JACK (FOR A MP3 PLAYER) TO THE CD CHANGER CONNECTION. I SEE WHERE IN THE WIRING DIAGRAM THAT IT SHOWS LEFT AND RIGHT INPUTS, BUT WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO ACTIVATE THE CD CHANGER FUNCTION? DO I HAVE TO JUMP A WIRE TO MAKE IT ACTIVE? TO MAKE THE RADIO THINK THAT THERE IS A CD CHANGER CONNECTED? HOW WOULD I WIRE SOMETHING LIKE THAT?
[HR][/HR]​
I think that you would be much better off getting a radio transmitter. There is one that is really small. It is called SoundFeeder SF-121 FM transmitter. It is under $20 and should work great with an ipod (sorry had to plug apple there!) This is the easiest and most cost effective method. I think that it may be possible to share an mp3 player on road trips with multiple cars too! I am not sure how far the transmitter will send a signal. Anyway this is what I will do eventually. It is a lot cheaper than hard wiring and that way you can use more than an mp3 player. You could hook up a laptop and watch dvd's, movies, play games etc... Hope that this helps. Oh and you can get this thing from
http://www.smalldog.com Do a search for sf-121 It will pop up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Pulled out my 2002 dbl-DIN CD, pics & wiring diagram (DGMVW)

FM transmitter do not give out a goo freq response, no good highs, no good low sound. The stat for the SF121 is Audio Response:  50Hz-15KHz (+/- 3 dB). If I hard wire the connection, I get 20 to 20, CD Quality, that is what I am looking for. And on top of the that, the stock 2002 Monsoon Fm Tuner sounds muddy.
Does anyone know how to wire this up?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts